Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

fufureida wrote: »
    I never said that lol I find it funny how you twist everything I say. By my logic an ordinary A1 will still be worth 30 points less than a higher level point A1.

i.e what Im saying is
    HL A1 = 100 OL A1 = 70

But whatever just my opinion. Obviously some ppl dont get that millions of people have huge strenghts and simultaeneously great weaknesses.

No, I understand perfectly. What you're saying is you want to handicap people who are good at maths while, simultaneously give extra points to those who aren't. Even though some people, who are good at maths, might for example suck at English. Why don't we give those students who are good at maths extra points in ordinary English because they find it difficult? While we're at it let's do the same for Irish, French, German and every other single subject available at LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

No, I understand perfectly. What you're saying is you want to handicap people who are good at maths while, simultaneously give extra points to those who aren't. Even though some people, who are good at maths, might for example suck at English. Why don't we give those students who are good at maths extra points in ordinary English because they find it difficult? While we're at it let's do the same for Irish, French, German and every other single subject available at LC?

You really are pissing me off now, because I already SAID this:
    The value of higher level maths would stay the same...alot of Uni's only accept HL maths and alot of ppl who do HL maths always pursue some science oriented course, with HIGH points. I don't even know how many times I have read '' Higher Level Math required '' on cours details.
    Its unfair on ordinary maths ppl, or any subject for that matter. IMO, any Ordinary Level subject should be worth at least 70-75 points. 10 points can make a serious difference...alot of ppl know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

The value of higher level maths would stay the same...alot of Uni's only accept HL maths and alot of ppl who do HL maths always pursue some science oriented course, with HIGH points. I don't even know how many times I have read '' Higher Level Math required '' on cours details.
    Its unfair on ordinary maths ppl, or any subject for that matter. IMO, any Ordinary Level subject should be worth at least 70-75 points. 10 points can make a serious difference...alot of ppl know this.

The gap between ordinary and higher level is absolutely ridiculous.
    Especially in Maths. If you compare actual difficulty of exams, ordinary level subjects are probably worth too much in most subjects (definatley in maths comparitive to the difficulty and workload involved in higher level maths).

The amount of people in my year who have gone down to pass maths because the extra 10 or 15 points from an A in ordinary to a B in Higher is simply not worth the massive amount of work it would require whereas they could get an A1 in ordinary in their sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I have met ppl who are very skilled in languages and sciences...What Im saying is that not everyone is blessed with a brilliant mathematical mind. Some people I believe just cannot do well in something, not everyone is good at everything; this is a worldy fact...why not just cater for ppl who are not brilliantly minded and reward them with slightly higher points?

Sorry mate but you're being incredibly biased here. The reason for the LC and all of these exams is to see how good you are at a subject, but you're saying just because you're not good at it, you should get more points? It makes no sense, why not just give everyone who can't do HL get extra points?

I never said that lol I find it funny how you twist everything I say. By my logic an ordinary A1 will still be worth 30 points less than a higher level point A1.

i.e what Im saying is
    HL A1 = 100 OL A1 = 70

But whatever just my opinion. Obviously some ppl dont get that millions of people have huge strenghts and simultaeneously great weaknesses.

and some people are more intelligent and/or work harder than others making them both more deserving and more likely to deserve a place in a degree course.

The point of the Leaving is not to make students who are weak at maths happy but to differentiate us as to who gets to go where next year.

• Advertisement

I agree with what alot of ppl are saying here but I still feel my reasons are correct. I believe that you guys are right too, being in HL deserves obviously more reward, hence why I said increase by only 10-15 points.
    Im not speaking for myself here, Im speaking for ppl who may be physically or mentally impaired sitting the LC; for example, I teach a brilliant english student who has a strange form of autism. This guy can rattle off quotations from poems, plays and be able to give a defination of every gramatical term and has a seriously large understanding of King Lear...he understands everything about the course but is incapable of applying everything he knows about the subject to the exam. He simply cannot do a question as well as his brain understands the question...its hard to explain but that is what he is like. I find it unfair, and sad to see, that at his very best he can get a B1 which is worth only 45 points. This is what I meant by all my posts...:) I get what you guys are saying but this is just my opinion and i dont mean to offend ppl who are smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

some people are just gifted at certain subjects, and are really bad at others. the ordinary/higher thing is the same for every subject. you might be really bad at maths, struggle to pass ordinary, but you could be brilliant at english and get an A in higher. everyone's the same like, just with different subjects. of course, there are some people who are brilliant at everything, but they're just lucky ****ers. :p:pac: and as for the college course thing, if you're useless at maths, obviously you're not going to do a maths related course that requires HL. :confused:

If someone has some form of disability then they should get special dispensation, most do.

That simply is not an argument for more points for ordinary level. You are offering a highly exceptional case.

there are access routes for that though.

RexMundi wrote: »
    If someone has some form of disability then they should get special dispensation, most do.

That simply is not an argument for more points for ordinary level. You are offering a highly exceptional case.

funny thing, their is no special dispensation for the gift he has. He has one for autism but this paticular case is sorta new and unknown an rare...therefore he cant be excused. Its what his parents have told me anyway. The department do not see it as a learning disability, they think he is just stupid.

And what do you mean by an exceptional case?

Look whatever, I made my opinion, everyone has one, and it stinks. So I suggest we all move swiftly onwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

yeah, thats exactly what I said...:P even if a B2 in Ordinary was worth 55 points or something it makes a mile of a difference in the long run...I think so anyway! Im not telling anyone to agree.:o
    No. You're ignoring the basis on which the points system works. If someone is getting more points for ordinary level, then every other ordinary level student will also get that increase. Since the majority do ordinary level any way, the entry point for courses will raise across the board in response to this, and it won't make much difference. Except to those who are doing higher level, since they're now at a comparative disadvantage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Can't remember my results off but I got 340 points. Pretty good considering what I did. I'm aiming for medicine so I have a lot of work to do but now that we have started doing revision in class I actually feel less pressure and find it so much more enjoyable and easier to get on with the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I agree with what alot of ppl are saying here but I still feel my reasons are correct. I believe that you guys are right too, being in HL deserves obviously more reward, hence why I said increase by only 10-15 points.
    Im not speaking for myself here, Im speaking for ppl who may be physically or mentally impaired sitting the LC; for example, I teach a brilliant english student who has a strange form of autism. This guy can rattle off quotations from poems, plays and be able to give a defination of every gramatical term and has a seriously large understanding of King Lear...he understands everything about the course but is incapable of applying everything he knows about the subject to the exam. He simply cannot do a question as well as his brain understands the question...its hard to explain but that is what he is like. I find it unfair, and sad to see, that at his very best he can get a B1 which is worth only 45 points. This is what I meant by all my posts...:) I get what you guys are saying but this is just my opinion and i dont mean to offend ppl who are smart.

With all respect to the lad with autism, it is really sad, but this does not mean people doing OL Maths should get extra points, simply because they find it harder than the rest. If they did get extra points, it would be completely unfair, as if one person is terrible at Maths and does OL and just say gets a C3, but then they get an A1 at HL English, while another person gets a C3 in OL English and an A1 in HL Maths, according to you, should get less points? It's completely senseless. And like another poster said, there is no comparison between the OL and HL Maths course, your point makes less sense with regard to Maths compared to any other subject, in other words the gap between OL and HL English is smaller than the one between the OL and HL Maths course.

EDIT: Btw, are you a teacher or a student? Weren't you talking about what your teacher told you to study like two pages ago? Just wondering like :confused:

i agree with him. ^
    there's a difference in the points for a reason. ordinary is simple compared to higher. if a student takes a higher paper they should be rewarded for it, as they've obviously put in a lot of work.
    and you're a teacher? shouldn't you see this difference?
    maybe there should just be an access route of some sort for all disabilities, based on aptitude or something. i don't know.
    but just because they have a disability, doesn't mean students who don't have one, who take an ordinary paper should be benefitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

How did a thread entitled "Mock Results" become an argument about fiddling with the points system? :confused:

Back on topic, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I've only got 4 back but so far:
    English (HL) 77%
    Maths (HL) 72%
    French (HL) 70%
    Accounting (HL) 68%

Pretty happy all round especially with Accounting as I only did three questions:rolleyes:

only got one back so far.
    french- 90%
    pity it's the first one i got back, it's one of my strongest subjects.
    now i'll be even more disappointed with the others. :(:p
    anyone know how long they take to correct when they're sent away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 aisers

felic wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry for doing apparently 'bad' in Maths at this stage of the year. No school has the course covered at this time. So just keep on plugging away and June will see a big improvement.
    English however, is a bit different. Seeing as Paper 1 is basically just a practice practice and practice, its a little more realistic a comparison to how you will do in June. But just because you did well now, is no reason to think you can ease off on the hard work.

Our class has had the course finished since the end of january!!!! and we have covered every question and the option (might be doing another option if the class vote to do so).

Its great - now all we have 6 classes a week of revision!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

aisers wrote: »
    Our class has had the course finished since the end of january!!!! and we have covered every question and the option (might be doing another option if the class vote to do so).

Its great - now all we have 6 classes a week of religion!!!

How did you get the course finished so early??
    @LL92 I only got one of mine sent away but my teacher said it would be back by the end of next week which means it would have taken about 3 weeks. Depends on the post and who's correcting though.

ya well we have a good class and our school do that in every subject - we work fast and hard and have extra classes after school on wednesdays (time given voluntarily by teachers) so we get done and have lots of time for revision.

I have finished the course in every subject except religion(wich is exceptionally long). Its great.

• Advertisement

That's great! I think i'm nearly finished my maths, a week or so left but havn't covered an option question yet. We stay in on half days and have extra classes too but they're more for revision. Not sure about my other subjects but i'm not finished any anyway. I've triple religion every week but we don't do it as an exam subject it's more to take our mind off of the exams.

That's great! I think i'm nearly finished my maths, a week or so left but havn't covered an option question yet. We stay in on half days and have extra classes too but they're more for revision. Not sure about my other subjects but i'm not finished any anyway. I've triple religion every week but we don't do it as an exam subject it's more to take our mind off of the exams.

sorry that was supposed to be 6 classes of revision a week in the original post!!!D

We have 5 classes of religion a week in our school for exam students.

now i go back to school after the mocks and start revision in pretty much every subject!!! nd i do all the sciences as well!

Our after school classes are for revision as well - i find they are good and keep you ticking over with revision right through 5th nd 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Is my school the only school in the country who haven't had mocks yet?

sorry that was supposed to be 6 classes of revision a week in the original post!!!D

We have 5 classes of religion a week in our school for exam students.

now i go back to school after the mocks and start revision in pretty much every subject!!! nd i do all the sciences as well!

Our after school classes are for revision as well - i find they are good and keep you ticking over with revision right through 5th nd 6th year.

I wish my school was more like that! Ah I love it all the same though, i'm sure my teachers know what they are doing. Just two more mocks to get back and then it's full on work and revision until the LC.

I wish my school was more like that! Ah I love it all the same though, i'm sure my teachers know what they are doing. Just two more mocks to get back and then it's full on work and revision until the LC.

we dont get ours back til next week - our teachers correct them. i finished yesterday and there is the art exam on moday so i get the day off - im loving the break!!!! although i do have my french mock oral at the end of next week- i should probably start learning stuff:D

we dont get ours back til next week - our teachers correct them. i finished yesterday and there is the art exam on moday so i get the day off - im loving the break!!!! although i do have my french mock oral at the end of next week- i should probably start learning stuff:D

I had mine two weeks before the midterm and then had the whole midterm to relax. nly one of my teachers got them sent away and teh rest corrected them so i started getting the back on Monday. They're going well so far. I love french, had my mock oral about a month ago and havn't had an irish one, don't think i'm having one which i'm happy about!

I had mine two weeks before the midterm and then had the whole midterm to relax. nly one of my teachers got them sent away and teh rest corrected them so i started getting the back on Monday. They're going well so far. I love french, had my mock oral about a month ago and havn't had an irish one, don't think i'm having one which i'm happy about!

I like french too - not as good at it as my other subjects (its my 7th best i think!!) so im kinda lookin forward to it.

i would have loved to have had midtem off but i was studying hard so tis is kind of my midterm!!!

I was lucky to have them over and done with :) But now i'm studying and you can relax so it's pretty much the same in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

I still have 3 more mocks to do next week-the teachers in our school correct our papers so we gt them back really quick got my maths test back the next day(Only 10 in our HL class)

Actually looking forward to getting some of them back should get A1's in Accounting and Geography so it'd be nice to see the result of studying.

• Advertisement

i did most of my mocks before mid-term; irish, english, maths, geography and french.
    had music and home economics the monday after.
    all are sent away except french. our teacher corrected that and got it back last week.
    didn't get any others back yet but i think they take at least 3 weeks to correct?

Advertisement