Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Install new radio in 00 corrolla

• 26-02-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭

I want to install a new radio in my 00 corrolla. The plastic console thats around the radio has all the controls on it. i have seen a console on a web site that allows you install your own radio but dont know where to get. has anyone an idea. the link below shows the console i want.

Before anyone asks my radio is f**ked that why i want a new one.

console link:
    http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=139

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That link you posted is the centre console from a '97-'00 Corolla - there was a facelift in '00 which introduced the integrated radio like yours.

I believe you can put a normal DIN stereo in the space where the cassette or CD player is located (further down the centre console, above the ash tray?). A fascia adaptor may be required to fit it.

The top display and buttons also function as the clock and trip computer - I think these may still function if you fit a different radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Zilog, the OP is correct, the 97 one fits as well, and it's not half as messy looking as replacing the casette unit with a standard radio and leaving the original integrated radio in.
    Just make sure the facia is the right colour as older Corollas had a lighter coloured dash.

How to remove:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825312

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Zilog, the OP is correct, the 97 one fits as well, and it's not half as messy looking as replacing the casette unit with a standard radio and leaving the original integrated radio in.

Ah I didn't know it could be done both ways. Personally I wouldn't like to lose the trip computer, but the OP didn't mention it so I guess doesn't use it.

I"ve seen a few done like the way you said, and it just looks wrong!

Fair point on the trip comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Thanks colm and zilog, so what i'm looking for is a 97 console. Zilog no i have never used trip computer.

The one thing that put me off installing under the heating controls was it looks small and i was not sure what type of radio to use. Still trying to figure out which is my best option.

If you have any idea's on good radios with ipod connector on it let me know.

the cassette unit is slightly smaller than a DIN but one will fit, it'll be overlapping and not that neat though.

Would I be right in saying that the best way to go would be locate a 97 console and fasica.

And where would I go to find these.

97 has a sort of double DIN storage box instead of the cassette unit and storage box in the VVT-i models. problem is it's a different colour to the dash on the newer ones.
    However Toyota (and all other Japanese manufacturers) do a single storage box that will fit in there. I may have a few lying around I'll check after the weekend.

YOu should be able to get a top facia from a scrapped one 97-00, or on ebay, just make sure it's dark grey/black and not beige/light grey.

97 has a sort of double DIN storage box instead of the cassette unit and storage box in the VVT-i models. problem is it's a different colour to the dash on the newer ones.
    However Toyota (and all other Japanese manufacturers) do a single storage box that will fit in there. I may have a few lying around I'll check after the weekend.

YOu should be able to get a top facia from a scrapped one 97-00, or on ebay, just make sure it's dark grey/black and not beige/light grey.

Thank's for your help colm. My dash is dark gray and it's some thing i did not thing of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

the cassette unit is slightly smaller than a DIN but one will fit, it'll be overlapping and not that neat though.

I fitted a Lidl radio into the this slot perfectly and still have the small storage compartment below it. Only had to buy a DIN to Toyota adapter.

Are those lidl radios any good, had one offered to me today.

Also anyone know good scrap dealers around Limerick.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I fitted a Lidl radio into the this slot perfectly and still have the small storage compartment below it. Only had to buy a DIN to Toyota adapter.

An ISO to Toyota wiring adaptor?

Just the original Toyota stuff is completely flush and doesn't stick out, personally I think the aftermarket stereos that stick out don't look neat, but maybe that's just me!

Got on to a few dismantlers about the console that holds the radio in,some guys have no clue what i mean.

They think it has clocks in it.

Think i located one, he asked me if it was the corolla with the round lights but i had no idea. but he has a few 97 corollas

Do you think its worth my while calling out to him guys.

the 97-00 Corolla is the one you're looking for, they're known as frogeye or bugeyed corollas ;) it's the only model with round lights so sounds like it's the right one.

1060_715.jpg

Good man i'll give a spin out to this guy sat morning and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

An ISO to Toyota wiring adaptor?
    Yeah got mixed up.
    Just the original Toyota stuff is completely flush and doesn't stick out, personally I think the aftermarket stereos that stick out don't look neat, but maybe that's just me!

Mine is perfectly flat. I still have the time and fuel use displayed on the old radio display. Took a while to stop constantly looking at my MPG when driving.
    Are those lidl radios any good, had one offered to me today.

I've had one for years without issues.

Went to car dismantlers this morning. They had the console i wanted but it was the wrong colour.

Rang around and not much look.

Has anyone numbers of dismantlers that might not be in the golden pages.

also Would the 98 and 99 corolla have the same console?

Lads just wondered if anyone had some more numbers for second hand part dealers around limerick.

go onto partfinder.ie

Alternatively just buy one from a Toyota dealer.

• Advertisement

Hi lads,
    I'm still trying to locate a radio console for the dash of my corolla so i can replace the integrated radio with a normal one. I was talking to a guy today who said it would not work because the wiring for radio is behind the cassette player and not behind the control unit on the top of the dash and the only way to replace the radio was by locating it where the cassette is. I know afew of you guys said in previous posts that it would work but i just want to be sure.

Is this true anyone cause i'm calling to another guy who thinks he has a console. Think he is the tenth guy i have called to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I have a bluetooth radio installed where the cassette player used to be.

Do you want to put it there or replace the top mounted unit? I can't imagine it would be easy to replace the top part but it all works fine the way I've done it

Been told that replacing the cassette unit looks ugly. never seen one done but replacing the top unit sound like a tidier job.

Been told that replacing the cassette unit looks ugly. never seen one done but replacing the top unit sound like a tidier job.

Mine fits in flush and looks tidy enough. The only issue for me is that the display is low down hence you have to take your eyes off the road however the buttons are all at a nice height for your fingers. I think replacing the top part would really make a mess of it all (but thats just me)

Thanks for your help john i'll keep what you said in mind. It would make life easier for me because trying to find the top console is hard.

No problem, I've fitted a Sony mex bt2600

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rkan

I swapped tape cassette for Pioneer CD player. Fitted in perfectly flush. I also swapped around the storage area to underneath the CD player so that it's easier to see the display.

rkan wrote: »
    I swapped tape cassette for Pioneer CD player. Fitted in perfectly flush. I also swapped around the storage area to underneath the CD player so that it's easier to see the display.

Was the storage area not under the cassette player anyway?

Hi again guys,
    I got my new radio and have ordered an iso to Toyota harness to connect the wires.
    I noticed that the iso to Toyota connector has two female sockets where there are three male plugs behind the cassette player.

One is a six pin plug with four wires the power.
    The second is a 10 pin plug with 8 wires the speakers I'm guessing and then there is a third 12 pin plug with only two wires a red and green with single strips on them.
    The 12 pin plug has me confused do I ignore it and only use the other two plugs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yeah ignore the third plug. I installed a radio in my '00 Corolla recently and just ignored it, I assume it connects to the console on top, don't need it for aftermarket radio.

Redisle wrote: »
    Yeah ignore the third plug. I installed a radio in my '00 Corolla recently and just ignored it, I assume it connects to the console on top, don't need it for aftermarket radio.

Thanks thought i had hit another problem.

Also think my arial is goussed are they easy fix?

Advertisement