Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company refusing redundancy?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My company recently came to us and offered us a pay cut or voluntary redundancy.
    Our pay day is mid month and we were told vol redundancy was available until the end of feb.
    So a few days ago i applied for vol redundancy and got a call this morning to say that it had been refused as i had accepted the pay cut.
    I never signed anything to say that i agreed to the pay cut and everybody else within the company that has applied for it, regardless of position, salary or length of service has been given it.

Where do i stand on this issue?
    It not that i have a long service with this company, just under three years.
    I know they see me as an asset and this is their way of stopping me leaving, but is it legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

As far as I am aware a company cannot give you a pay cut unless you agree to it either verbally or in writing. You can choose to take it or tell them that if they can't afford to pay you your salary that they will have to make your redundant. (This is not fact just what I can remember from last time I checked for myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

The company cannot legally cut your pay without your consent.
    Could prove valuable leverage in terms of seeking redundancy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 STRAWBERRY2010

Is there a redundancy package on offer? Or is it statutory? If its statutory you will get practically nothing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Most voluntary arrangements allow for the employer to refuse applicants on any grounds. If they are downsizing and see you as an important employee, they can refuse your application.

On the other hand, once all the voluntary redundancies have left, they will be short-staffed and if your expertise is valuable enough, you may be able to get a pay rise. Paying 15% extra to one person doing two jobs is very cost-effective.

Advertisement