Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hughes & Hughes closed down this evening

Options
  • 26-02-2010 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently gone to the wall, that's a shock!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

did staff get any warning? who,s next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Was open when i was out in Tesco about 2pm, hope it's not true. Adam's childrens' clothing store is also closing down, it's a shame to see so many places go!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 canalman

Not surprised.
    I loved bookshops but never liked
    H&H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Damn did we miss the sale?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Receivership not Examinership. Vero Moda, Jack & Jones ( shop inside Born) Only and Name It went into Examinership while William Hill has put all its Irish outlets under review.

That was this afternoons news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0226/hugheshughes.html

One of the country's largest bookshop chains, Hughes and Hughes, has gone into receivership, threatening 225 jobs.

In a statement issued today, the company said it had been operating in an environment of collapsing consumer demand due to the recession and exchange rate differential with sterling.

The company also blamed the collapse in passenger numbers through Dublin and Cork airport where the much of the Hughes & Hughes business was generated through its concessions there.

High retail rents and competition from internet booksellers were also factors in the company's downturn.

Directors and management said they had invited Ulster Bank Ireland Limited to appoint David Carson of Deloitte as receiver to the company.

Hughes & Hughes has been in operation for around 26 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That's a shame, I had a tenner left on a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've got over €100 worth of gift cards. Shame.

This isn't specifically a Galway matter.

It was closed at 7ish and there were some staff inside sitting in the coffee shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

That's a shame, I had a tenner left on a voucher.
    deisemum wrote: »
    I've got over €100 worth of gift cards. Shame.

Im sure they wont be closing for good right away, these things usually take a little while don't they? Im sure you can still go in and use your vouchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Im sure they wont be closing for good right away, these things usually take a little while don't they? Im sure you can still go in and use your vouchers!

They're closed immediately and indefinitely, my sister works/worked there.

Staff got no warning! :(

• Advertisement

They're closed immediately and indefinitely, my sister works/worked there.

Staff got no warning! :(

Jesus that is awful.... I know a girl who works there too..... bad times

Not necessarily - at best these represent an unsecured claim on the assets of the business.

All the stock and any assets would have to be sold, the banks, government and other preferred creditors paid off and then if anything is left the unsecured creditors would get it.

Vouchers are probably worthless.

Not necessarily - at best these represent an unsecured claim on the assets of the business.

All the stock and any assets would have to be sold, the banks, government and other preferred creditors paid off and then if anything is left the unsecured creditors would get it.

Vouchers are probably worthless.

Thats really such a shame.... i <3 books :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Who gives a shít?

Who gives a shít?

People we know have lost their jobs just like that. No work to get up for in the morning and have families/mortgages/loans. I'd give a s*it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I went to school with a guy who works there so I give a **** as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

People we know have lost their jobs just like that. No work to get up for in the morning and have families/mortgages/loans. I'd give a s*it.

true i was in there last year and got some really nice hardback books for gifts
    such a shame just goes to show the way this country is going and getting worse day by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's sad to see it go. I think that they may have overextended themselves somewhat at the height of the boom. They spent a huge amount of money, and entered into amazingly expensive long term arrangements, to get prime spots in Airports. I think it's London City where they payed way over the odds.

It made great sense when things were going well, but unfortunately these days, decisions which in the past seemed like great business successes are often now the causes of businesses failing.

The one thing I always liked about it was the 'staff's picks'..seemed like they only employed staff who actually enjoyed reading and knew their stuff.. makes a shop a bit more personal. Sorry to hear it's gone, what'll happen in the airports I wonder, aren't they the main newspaper/books provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Who gives a shít?
    Mind your manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hey Stellaratois. Care to explain your comment. In the present climate,its a callous, mean spirited thing to say, when there are people out there who have just lost their jobs. And if not..I say BAN the gobs**te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who gives a shít?

Dude show some compassion like the the other posters who knew people that worked there.....
    For those workers it's literately the worst day of their lives. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Jumping on the criticising bandwagon, I'd say show some perspective.
    Losing your job is the worst day of your life?

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

wet-paint wrote: »
    Jumping on the criticising bandwagon, I'd say show some perspective.
    Losing your job is the worst day of your life?

Right.

It was one of the worst days. I'd say... top 3 or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Who gives a shít?

I don't think you understand how a forum works. If you don't care about the topic and have nothing to say then you don't post on the thread.

99.9% of people don't give a shít about McDermott's in castlebar but we don't all post up about to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, point made. Back on topic now everyone, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Poke

The 225 staff who now find themselves jobless and unable to pay their bills,
    The customers who came into the stores weekly,
    The fish in the tanks!

It is the end of an Irish family business that was a landmark in Dublin Airport. Hughes & Hughes was not like alot of other retailers coming into Ireland when the going was good, they sat it our during the 80's and brought bookselling onto another level in Ireland. They embraced the Sony e-reader and any changes that came their way. They did not deserve such a horrible end. We can all just now hope that a buyer can be found & the 225 staff who always acted professionally when dealing with us are re-employed.
    As a nation we need to start supporting retail. I really hope that all who worked so hard in H&H over the past 26 years are okay & a favourable outcome can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The shock of the sudden closure will take time to hit.

It's a shame, not only will the shop staff be affected there will be a negative flow-on to the support people associated with the business.

Delivery drivers, book binders, the local coffee shop where the staff got morning tea, the local eateries etc. ...need I go on.

Even worse for the people with family and mortgages.

There should have at least been a public notice in the local paper to advise of the closure so the many people who had vouchers and such could redeem them.

They should still honour the vouchers by having one staff member open the shop for a week or so.

Damn shame!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Xiney wrote: »
    It was one of the worst days. I'd say... top 3 or so...

Me too. When I lost my job a few years ago, the shock hit me something terrible. I honestly didn't expect to walk into work that day and be told by lunchtime that our department was closing down. So yeah, one of the worst days.

I'm sorry to see Hughes & Hughes go. It was a nice welcoming shop. Manys the time I went in there to browse and came out buying something. Though really I suppose I should have known something was up when some of the newer books were 70% off a few weeks ago. I'm also sorry that an Irish retailer has gone to the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Who gives a shít?

When I saw this I took it to mean who gives a shít about somebody losing out on a few vouchers when a shopload of people have lost their jobs.

Advertisement