Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hughes & Hughes closed down this evening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

Who gives a shít?

I lost my job in Hughes and Hughes last night after five years...and it was awful...I think that you have no shame about hurting those who've lost their jobs and to make such a callous, careless remark shows how removed you are from the real world...What if that was you, and you had a wife and mortgage, would you be "Giving a S&!T" then? Yes, you'd be pretty annoyed.

Staff got NO warning, a reciever from Deloitte came in and briefed staff about it - we were told there were "receivers" around the country at the different branches as we spoke...within 10 minutes the shutters had to come down and customers were told to leave...that was it...a notice was ready to stick on the window and our jobs were gone in a flash...

So please, have some consideration for such a cruel remark because Karma has a way of coming back on people like you...

Thanks to other posters who tried to set this poster straight too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Musicmaster, I hope something works out for you. I can't imagine what it is like to go to work and then ten minutes later be out of a job. It's shocking, and I thought we were on our way out of this recession nightmare.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

LadyPennyworth, Thanks, mean alot to hear it...but life goes on, and we learn from these setbacks...who knows, might get a better job with more more pay if I'm lucky! (fingers crossed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Really sad reading this, I loved that shop. The coffee shop inside was great too. It's scary how many shops are empty in the Eyre square centre too. We'll end up with nothing but mobile phone shops :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikom wrote: »
    Dude show some compassion like the the other posters who knew people that worked there.....
    For those workers it's literately the worst day of their lives. :cool:
    wet-paint wrote: »
    Jumping on the criticising bandwagon, I'd say show some perspective.
    Losing your job is the worst day of your life?

Right.

Hughes & Hughes ..... literately...... bookstore
    Twas the lighter side I was showing, not perspective.
    Do please try to keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

I lost my job in Hughes and Hughes last night after five years...and it was awful...I think that you have no shame about hurting those who've lost their jobs and to make such a callous, careless remark shows how removed you are from the real world...What if that was you, and you had a wife and mortgage, would you be "Giving a S&!T" then? Yes, you'd be pretty annoyed.

Staff got NO warning, a reciever from Deloitte came in and briefed staff about it - we were told there were "receivers" around the country at the different branches as we spoke...within 10 minutes the shutters had to come down and customers were told to leave...that was it...a notice was ready to stick on the window and our jobs were gone in a flash...

So please, have some consideration for such a cruel remark because Karma has a way of coming back on people like you...

Thanks to other posters who tried to set this poster straight too...

Ara sure if you are really a music master you'll be fine! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Ara sure if you are really a music master you'll be fine! ;)

If I'd seen your comments in this thread before I infracted you on the other one you would have been taking a few weeks out instead of looking at a yellow card.

If you can't play here nicely you won't play here at all.

/moderation

There is a notice in the window saying that vouchers and any deposits will not be honoured - people with claims can send them to the accountants in Dublin and they will be added to the list of unsecured creditors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

wet-paint wrote: »
    Losing your job is the worst day of your life?
    Right.

If you're young and/or haven't had many other bad days, then yes it can easily be. Ditto if you have a lot of personal emotional investment in your job (unlikely for some bookshop staff - but some will have, eg managers who've worked hard for years to build a strong team, folks who've never worked anywhere else, folks who dreamed for years of working in a bookshop as opposed to a supermarket checkout)

Those of us who are older and have been thru a few jobs, buried a few relatives etc have a different perspective. That's not to say it's better or worse, just different.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Purchased there regularly, nice staff.....it's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Just heard on the news that 120 of these jobs based in airports are saved, Easons taking over. Its something at least.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I wonder can Hughes & Hughes giftcards be used there.

deisemum wrote: »
    I doubt it - these will be eason shops when they re-open.

You will have to make a claim on Hughes and Hughes as an unsecured creditor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

you never know they might as a good customer service/marketing idea, good advertising for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I wonder can someone tell me, you know the coffee shop that was down the back of Hughes & Hughes in the Galway Shopping Centre. What was the relationship between the bookshop and coffee shop? I was wondering about that the last day, I presume they're not the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Imagine trying: the staff member will raise an eyebrow quizzically, and say "who's and who's?"
    :p

Another law of economics for recessionary times: always use gift vouchers ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

No loss. They had a truly atrocious SF/fantasy section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Heard on the news that Easons have taken over the chain and the jobs have been saved?

also heard something about the airport branches, wasnt listening too closely, was it just those or all of them?

Heard on the news that Easons have taken over the chain and the jobs have been saved?

also heard something about the airport branches, wasnt listening too closely, was it just those or all of them?
    Eason are only taking the airport shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Easons will probbably take over like they did in the aiports

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd be surprised if Easons took over the other shops. They've a big enough shop in town already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I was in Shannon airport at weekend and from what i can remember the book shop there was Hughes and Hughes so I expected it to be closed but its now WHSmith. Would they have taken it over so quick or have they been there a while now?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

fifib wrote: »
    I was in Shannon airport at weekend and from what i can remember the book shop there was Hughes and Hughes so I expected it to be closed but its now WHSmith. Would they have taken it over so quick or have they been there a while now?

Just Cork and Dublin I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Was curious, is the Dublin one taken over by Eason's yet?

P.

fifib wrote: »
    It's been WHS for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 solid oak

is the Insominia cafe still open ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grahamg13

Hughes and Hughes are back!
    Just bought a book there today
    apparently they were bought by another company and are opening again
    their website explains all
    www.hughesbooks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

grahamg13 wrote: »
    Hughes and Hughes are back!