Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem: Rubber Plant thinks it's a Beanstalk

Options
  • 26-02-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm having problems with a Rubber Plant - it won't stop growing - upwards :rolleyes:.

It was in my porch, but got too tall, so I brought it into the house mid-January, to a darkish corner of the room - I though the reduction in light might slow it down.

Not so, it has grown over a foot on the last 6 weeks and the stem is now bending because it's taller than the ceiling, and has no where to grow.

Because the stem is bending, it's top heavy and prone to toppling over.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Aside from its height it looks very healthy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rubber plants are a bit inclined to grow like mad. You could cut off the top (use a sharp knife and don't get the sap on your hands) and this should encourage some side shoots to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Interesting. Was afraid that that would kill it altogether - as there are no side shoots at all.

Just need to build up the confidence to decapitate it now :eek:

Is it ok just to cut it - should I put wax in it or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

just cut it.

it will 'Bleed' rubber for a while but will seal itself.

Advertisement