Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

abelard wrote: »
    I ordered the Iiyama monitor from the dabs UK site after I saw a post on it here, was at £98, since gone up to £162. Just to say I'm in the same boat regarding the delivery date being constantly pushed back. I have almost 0% expectation of getting it at that price, but gonna keep hoping! ;)

That's the thing with these bargains, it invariably becomes a waiting game for the cancellation email. I hope you do get your monitor though as that was an awesome price. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Rsaeire wrote: »
    That's the thing with these bargains, it invariably becomes a waiting game for the cancellation email. I hope you do get your monitor though as that was an awesome price. :)

Cheers. Checking this morning though, I don't even have an expected delivery date any more! That 0% hope is now (somehow) even smaller!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Cheers. Checking this morning though, I don't even have an expected delivery date any more! That 0% hope is now (somehow) even smaller!
    same. my delivery date is now replaced with "your items will be with you shortly" but its still processing and seeing as money hasn't been taken from my account I doubt it'll be dispatched any time soon :(

makes me think twice about what kind of company they are. should have received an email or something by now notifying me of a delay or cancellation or misprice or something? ill email them later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    same. my delivery date is now replaced with "your items will be with you shortly" but its still processing and seeing as money hasn't been taken from my account I doubt it'll be dispatched any time soon :(

makes me think twice about what kind of company they are. should have received an email or something by now notifying me of a delay or cancellation or misprice or something? ill email them later today.

In fairness to them though, they advertise the product as not being in stock, so it's not like we order expecting delivery in a few days. If they're going to cancel for misprice, which is almost certain, it would be nice to be informed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

• Advertisement

In fairness to them though, they advertise the product as not being in stock, so it's not like we order expecting delivery in a few days. If they're going to cancel for misprice, which is almost certain, it would be nice to be informed though.

ah you're right I completely forgot that it was out of stock when I had ordered (when i started my rant.)

still would like an email now though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

have more ram than I use, anybody ever made a ram disk, what you think of them?

have more ram than I use, anybody ever made a ram disk, what you think of them?
    What do you plan on using it for?
    Iirc, you've got an SSD? Is there any need for it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't have an ssd, as I am waiting on them to cheapen up and get a big one :p
    The bit that interested me was 'RAM disk is in general orders of magnitude faster than other forms of storage media, such as an SSD'. I don't reallly ahve much use for it apart from interest i learning about it. As far as I can see some people remove things like their page file to it to use less space on their ssd, load web pages quicker by using a web cache and so forth. A quicker way to access data you have on other hard drives by temporarily having it in the volatile ram memory? And using it for games/PS? I wonder would it change gaming much.

I don't really know much about it at all :D Was wondering is it any good and for what.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035FF066/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE actually a good deal?

It doesn't look any cheaper than most of the other BDRWs I've seen the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

L wrote: »
    Is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035FF066/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE actually a good deal?

It doesn't look any cheaper than most of the other BDRWs I've seen the last while.

Yeah was going to ask the same thing,haven't really being keeping up with my drives these days, good bargain or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It's been hovering around £65-70 for the last few months so you're saving a few quid, that's all.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/LG-BH10LS30-AUAR10B-Internal-Blu-Ray-Retail/product/B0035FF066

£60 is good for a Bluray burner and at that price most readers are only £10-15 cheaper so i'd say its decent enough.

Got the liteon IHBS112-37 for £60 a few months ago and supposedly its faster than the LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

***king dabs, monitor pushed out to December 1st now! Just cancel it already if you arent going to proceed with it!

I have a full PC ordered through them on the same order as the monitor, which is being held up by the monitor.... no contact telling me about the delay, do they really expect me to keep the order for the PC for an extra month! ridiculous

Im going to cancel all but the monitor and order somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Just call them first

which monitor witnessmenow?

The Iiyama 24" one.

Im after ordering the pc from amazon

The Iiyama 24" one.

Im after ordering the pc from amazon
    when did they tell you december?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

They'll probably do it for you if you give them a call. They can't be expected to read your mind; if you haven't called them or anything, then they can only conclude you're ok with waiting a month for your stuff.

Call who?
    * dabs.ie is a website for individual consumer customers based in Eire, which offers great online service and low prices.
    * We use the latest technology to offer our customers a "self service" approach and have a set of online tools to help you decide what you want, place your order and deal with after sales problems if they happen.
    * We do not offer a telephone service for pre or post sales enquiries because you can usually get an answer to your question from our website. See below.

1800 80 60 40

It's Dabs4Work, supposed to be for business use, but usually they don't care too much if an individual calls.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    1800 80 60 40

It's Dabs4Work, supposed to be for business use, but usually they don't care too much if an individual calls.

Thanks, but I won't be needing it. I ordered off amazon today.

I'm maybe a bit more pissed off than I should be, but personally I think it's crazy that they have not contacted me by email once to say there is a delay, I got an order confirmation and that's it. And this setting expected delivery dates that they aren't even close to keeping, I shouldn't have to chase them to buy stuff from them!

It also annoyed me that they have no number or live chat.

@tb it's in my order details.

It also annoyed me that they have no number or live chat.

That one pisses me off too. Usually I only order stuff from Dabs if it's in-stock, and doesn't look like some crazy misprice. With anything "normal", they're usually great.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Thought I should say that the i5 2500k OEM is on overclockers for 162 pounds for the week. Seems like a decent price!
    Edit* Although actually that comes to 190 euro or so, which is almost the same as Komplett but Komplett has free delivery.
    IGNORE! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-120gb-vertex-plus-series-sata-3gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7P0T.html

It's a SATA 2 drive.

Can SSD's take advantage of the 6Gb/s speeds offered by SATA3 or are the SATA3 drives more expensive for no real reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-120gb-vertex-plus-series-sata-3gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7P0T.html

It's a SATA 2 drive.

Can SSD's take advantage of the 6Gb/s speeds offered by SATA3 or are the SATA3 drives more expensive for no real reason?

SSD's yes, some definitely do. Most of the newer drives have theoretical maximum read or write speeds in excess of 300MB/s

SSD's yes, some definitely do. Most of the newer drives have theoretical maximum read or write speeds in excess of 300MB/s

Just out of curiosity, which SATA II SSDs have you come across that take advantage of SATA III (6 Gbps) ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I don't think speeds higher than 300MB/s is a theory, more of a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, which SATA II SSDs have you come across that take advantage of SATA III (6 Gbps) ports?

None. You need a SATA3 drive (as well as SATA3 ports) to take advantage of the increased throughput. Otherwise you will be limited to SATA2 speeds.

cork45 wrote: »
    I don't think speeds higher than 300MB/s is a theory, more of a fact.

Well done.

None. You need a SATA3 drive (as well as SATA3 ports) to take advantage of the increased throughput. Otherwise you will be limited to SATA2 speeds.

I knew that but I wasn't sure you did from your original post. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Well done.

Thank you.

Advertisement