Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Baza210 wrote: »
    32 GB class 10 MicroSDHC on Amazon for £25, under Electronics (can't link direct).http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?_encoding=UTF8&node=350613011

Ya the fella across from me here at work actually just sent me the link to this as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Baza210 wrote: »
    32 GB class 10 MicroSDHC on Amazon for £25, under Electronics (can't link direct).http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?_encoding=UTF8&node=350613011
    Any idea if it would work in a Galaxy S etc? AFAIK, they only officially support up to 16GB cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Solitaire wrote: »
    OCUK are having a sale in their Iiyama monitor range. These units are all high-quality 2ms GTG units with HDMI.

Highlights include a stupidly cheap 27" LED with a 1ms GTG response going for ~€270, and a ridiculous 23" IPS panel with just 5ms GTG (exceptional for this panel type) for a tiny ~€190 :eek:

Methinks some misprices slipped in somewhere so order quick! :D

Great offers for those who missed out on the last one going for €114.42 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

ridiculous 23" IPS panel with just 5ms GTG (exceptional for this panel type) for a tiny ~€190

~€192 (£165) on amazon delivered (1 left in stock at time of posting). Looks good so I might end up getting it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Amazing how, after so many years, IPS panels are slowly becoming nearly as fast and nearly as cheap as old TN panels :D

• Advertisement

isn't AOC (or someone) bringing out a sub $200 24" IPS monitor said to compete with the dell U2412M in the near future? The PR said before the end of 2011 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Monotype wrote: »
    ~€192 (£165) on amazon delivered (1 left in stock at time of posting). Looks good so I might end up getting it.

€185 at Komplett too.
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/16_MONITOR/01_MONITOR/productdetails/20098936/Iiyama_23_X2377HDS_B1_LED_5ms_DVI_HDMI/X2377HDS_B1/default.aspx

Komplett seem to be very competitive with their monitors. They often have Dell IPSs cheaper than elsewhere. Now, if they did the same with a bigger selection in the rest of their parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've noticed that too; at lot of the Dell U monitors they stock are the cheapest around. They also have the Z906 system from Logitech the cheapest at the moment. €280 with free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Whats the Iiyama one like? Can't seem to find any decent reviews of it.

• Advertisement

I can't find any reasonable reviews either. It's only new though so it should they should be around soon.

I want a new monitor but I'm not in a tremendous hurry. I think I'd go for this or the U2312HM or maybe LG's one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Amazon.co.uk seem to be suffering from a "tragic" glitch in their system that is adding huge delivery charges to all non-Super Saver Delivery items. I say "tragic" as customers are not warned of these delivery charges at any point until the very final page of the checkout process, and as the charges are neatly hidden beneath the Commit button a malicious element on Amazon's part cannot be entirely ruled out.

As a result of this, until Amazon either fix the glitch or change their deeply flawed practices regarding delivery charges I will remove any Amazon BA regarding items not covered by Super Saver Delivery. Low-postcount users posting such BAs may be mistaken for scammers and shot on sight by passing Admins :eek:

I think it would make more sense for anyone posting to just include postage costs. It may be a shock to you but this is nothing new in amazon's sellers. People rarely post amazon third party sellers as many don't even ship here. Postage is also completely dependent upon the seller. I've gone to order stuff there before for only £10 and shipping has been over £100. It was shocking and completely unreasonable but I wouldn't write off every seller as a result. Other places will offer lower - e.g., mymemory through amazon charge 1.95, the same as on their own website (although I think it's per item with amazon).

It's a UK site, even if something is advertised as free postage, anyone should always check the postage before buying when delivering to Ireland. I agree that it's an absolute pain in the hole, but most places online do demand that you sign up before you can find out final postage costs (sometimes with added VAT).

I ask you to reconsider so, and suggest that posts include delivery costs or mentioning if free delivery or any conditions apply (e.g., amazon.co.uk above £25, dabs.ie above €70 or €90?).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

It costs 29 euro to ship to Ireland, shipping is only free to UK.
    The same SSD costs 167 on Hardwareversand, and shipping is 30euro so its cheaper to get it from hardwareversand especially if you plan on ordering a full PC.

tl;dr version:
    Amazon total: 203euro
    Harwareversand total: 197euro
    both include shipping, and as I said if you are ordering a full PC from HV then the 30euro won't seem like much for shipping whereas 30euro is a rediculous price to pay to ship a small SSD from the UK to Ireland.

Dunno where you got that from, its free shipping to Ireland. Even the standard shipping is only €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

deconduo wrote: »
    Dunno where you got that from, its free shipping to Ireland. Even the standard shipping is only €5.
    Getting the same as you. Free supersaver delivery available and the delivery is only £4.07 if you chose not to go with the Supersaver option. Have no idea where they got £30 from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Getting the same as you. Free supersaver delivery available and the delivery is only £4.07 if you chose not to go with the Supersaver option. Have no idea where they got £30 from

My bad, I clicked on the terms and conditions for the delivery and it said minimum spend threshold: £25 me being stupid didn't read it correctly and thought that it meant shipping to Ireland was £25, I've deleted my post now, but as I said if you are buying other things from Hardwareversand its 10euro cheaper than it is from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

My bad, I clicked on the terms and conditions for the delivery and it said minimum spend threshold: £25 me being stupid didn't read it correctly and thought that it meant shipping to Ireland was £25, I've deleted my post now, but as I said if you are buying other things from Hardwareversand its 10euro cheaper than it is from Amazon.

But if everything is cheaper buying from Amazon than from Germany, then you save more than 30 bucks.
    Also, sometimes people chase the 2 and 5 euro difference in price and forget other aspects of the total cost of ownership. For example, I had to post a power supply with registered post to Netherlands for repair/replacement and it cost me 35 euro. When I bought it from that shop, I saved half of that money, so I'm not doing the same mistakes for a couple of tenners ever again.

Plus you don't have to cram everything into one order to pay "only" €30; I do my shopping from MemoryC, Amazon, Dabs etc. and I buy (e.g.) a low profile cpu cooler that costs €10 separately from a shop that charges €2 shipping and I get exactly what I want.

I am not saying that Hardwareversand is bad, I am just saying that I don't like the "choose carefully because there's no way back" kind of shopping :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Chosen wrote: »
    But if everything is cheaper buying from Amazon than from Germany, then you save more than 30 bucks.
    Also, sometimes people chase the 2 and 5 euro difference in price and forget other aspects of the total cost of ownership. For example, I had to post a power supply with registered post to Netherlands for repair/replacement and it cost me 35 euro. When I bought it from that shop, I saved half of that money, so I'm not doing the same mistakes for a couple of tenners ever again.

Plus you don't have to cram everything into one order to pay "only" €30; I do my shopping from MemoryC, Amazon, Dabs etc. and I buy (e.g.) a low profile cpu cooler that costs €10 separately from a shop that charges €2 shipping and I get exactly what I want.

I am not saying that Hardwareversand is bad, I am just saying that I don't like the "choose carefully because there's no way back" kind of shopping :)

FYI hardwareversand will pay for anything to be shipped back to them for RMA. Their customer service is great, you just need to call them and ask for an english speaking rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Couldn't find a better thread to ask this so i'll ask for opinions in here !

Im planning on building a new PC sometime in the new year.. maybe as late as march. Do you think I would be better off buying a my hard drive/drives now or waiting until i build it ? I can just about justify paying £100 for a 1tb hard drive... wouldn't be a bummer if the price of HDD's went up even more by the time i build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

FYI hardwareversand will pay for anything to be shipped back to them for RMA. Their customer service is great, you just need to call them and ask for an english speaking rep.

Not disagreeing with their support being good, but sticking to Irish shops means less downtime for me.
    Product stops working, raise RMA, approved on the same day, posted on the same day, shop receives it next morning and dispatches a replacement product on the same day, I receive the replacement on the next morning.

That's less than 48 hours without the product and that's a feature I cannot put a price on.

184137.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Magill wrote: »

Im planning on building a new PC sometime in the new year.. maybe as late as march. Do you think I would be better off buying a my hard drive/drives now or waiting until i build it ? I can just about justify paying £100 for a 1tb hard drive... wouldn't be a bummer if the price of HDD's went up even more by the time i build it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/30/hard-drive-shortage-pc-prices

Quick search gave me that,,seems to hint that it's gonna be a while more unfortunately..not sure what way to proceed! An SSD to tide you over until the prices start to come down again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Magill wrote: »

There might be some light at the end of the tunnel. This is from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/30/hard-drive-shortage-pc-prices

Quick search gave me that,,seems to hint that it's gonna be a while more unfortunately..not sure what way to proceed! An SSD to tide you over until the prices start to come down again?

I was planning on getting a small SSD just to install windows/games and i could just use my portable for temp storage if needs be.
    There might be some light at the end of the tunnel. This is from today.

Great news... lets hope we see the prices reduce if this is the case ! Knowing my luck they'll do "BP" on us and keep the prices high.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Dunno if anyone has any use for plasma screens any more, but:

Samsung 43" 3D Plasma - €398.05 (from €599)

you know when you think something is too good to be true...

the resolution of that screen is.....1024 x 768. WOW. just wow. its impressive they managed to get so few pixels in a screen that size.

also, people say the screen burn problems associated with Plasma is a thing of the past, but it really isnt. my friend has a 42" Plasma screen thats a little over a year old (and was a top of the range Samsung when it came out) and it has the xbox dashboard burnt into it. its *barely* noticable, you really have to stare for a while to see it, but its there. its only going to get worse. and he's not one for forgetting to turn off the TV.

my 32" LCD samsung is going on 4 years old now and gets treated like **** and ive zero problems with it.

Ooooouch... probably should have checked the specs a bit more thoroughly (read: at all) on that one. Sorry guys.

And you're right; that is impressive! I wonder what 1024x768 would look like on a 43" screen... I'd love to get a NES emulator going on one of those.

unfortunately it'll still sell well at that price cause most people don't know what they're looking at. even the "HD" sticker is a scum marketing gimmick. technically the TV only has to have 720 vertical pixels for it to qualify. no regard for horizontal at all. is it even a 4:3 aspect ratio??

It's actually not even HD. 720p is defined as 1280x720.

... Or is it. That's actually a very good point. I would think it would have to be 16:9, but perhaps not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Really tempted to get that IPS monitor posted a few pages ago on this thread. Think I should? :D

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/16_MONITOR/01_MONITOR/productdetails/20098936/Iiyama_23_X2377HDS_B1_LED_5ms_DVI_HDMI/X2377HDS_B1/default.aspx

I do have an acer 23" monitor but there is a fair ammount of black light bleed and the colour isnt that good tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

A new IPS panel but no reviews yet. I have the Dell u2311h, similar spec but some people don't like the AG coating on it.

The Liyama is a glossy display? Ew.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    The Liyama is a glossy display? Ew.

Where did you see that? BTW, It's two "I"s in the name.

Advertisement