Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Serephucus wrote: »
    They don't. He'd have to order through a parcel forwarding service - who will probably charge commission of some sort - and then pay for shipping, and then pay import tax when it gets here, meaning:

€130 PSU + €10 commission + €50 shipping + €50 import taxes = €240

For a decent 850W unit. Bargain indeed!

Wow. What an arse about elbow way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

sorry for linking to that newegg page :pac:. I always look up the newegg pages before I buy anything computer related as the user reviews are nearly always spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Sorry lads, don't know exactly where to post this and probably dose not deserve its own thread.

Looking for a shop that I could buy a DP to DVI adapter. Would rather not have to get it through amazon. Any ideas .?

Wouldn't mind if it was a bargain either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is it for eyefinity? If so, the cheap ones won't work, you'll have to pay €20-30 for them normally.

Edit: Just to clarify - you'd need an "active" adapter or one labelled as suitable for eyefinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Yes like this one, this one is dp to dvi.
    Sapphire-44000-02-40R-Active-Display-Cable

but there is also minidp to dvi active
    Sapphire-minidp-Active-Display

6950 has 2 mini dp maybe other brands don't have them.

If your monitor has dp ports you don't need active adapter. Just mini mp to dp.

Just wondering for crossfire eyefinity setup for example 3 u2311h monitors they all have dp but the graphics card only has 2 mini dp. So 1 of the monitors have to be linked up either with hdmi or dvi.
    I have heard that mixing cables causes screen tearing issues with the monitor linked to the hdmi or dvi cable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I was planning to get the A-DATA 650W power supply off komplett for €70 but now its gone up to €90 :eek:

Is this still the best price for a decent modular PSU when you factor in shipping?

Corsair - Builder CX600 V2 - 600 Watt

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/productdetails/20085754/Corsair_Builder_CX600_V2_600_Watt/CMPSU_600CXV2EU/default.aspx

65 yoyos and free shipping but you'll wait a week for them to get it out to you.

The CX 600 is not modular and it's overpriced - there's better quality, cheaper 550W units around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I don't know how but somehow after I re installed my graphics card the whining stopped so I have no need for a new one now thankfully. It definitely was coming from the PSU though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ok, wow. Best price I've seen on a hard drive since the floods. If I hadn't just spent €200 on Christmas presents, I'd have ordered two of these.

• Advertisement

That's an excellent price. It was about £62.50 when I got one in February and that was considered a good price then. I hope this is a sign that we'll see other retailers selling them lower and prices are returning to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »
    That's an excellent price. It was about £62.50 when I got one in February and that was considered a good price then. I hope this is a sign that we'll see other retailers selling them lower and prices are returning to normal.

indeed.

theres more and more lower price HDDs out there. i would love to get one of those 2tb hdds!

The 1TB F3s are still expensive though. Around €130 from Amazon IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The Samsung F4 is gone back up, £89 now and they won't ship to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

mcgovern wrote: »
    The Samsung F4 is gone back up, £89 now and they won't ship to Ireland.

Technically it's gone out of stock from Amazon themselves, and so the link takes you to the next best price from a marketplace seller.

No surprise, of course they were going to go out of stock at that price.

It may of course come back into stock again at the same price, so keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

It would be better to reply to you here
    Of course it does. However, what you are using the laptop for influences how much of a difference. It could be argued that faster memory (in any machine, laptop or desktop) makes little difference.

Then again, you have linked to a different brand, different model, and different speed of memory to the one I linked to, so its not even apples to apples.

Wrong thread for discussion anyway.

Yes, "no difference in performance" might have been a bit too harsh; correct description would be "very close to zero difference in real applications".

Different brand: who cares, it's got lifetime warranty, you are not buying a car, you are buying computer memory.

Different model/speed: as I said before, the only differences you can see will be on synthetic benchmarks and in your pocket. Real life scenarios remain unaffected by memory speed, e.g. gaming or encoding

39740.png

39734.png

I agree with you that "it's not the same", but only when it comes to bragging about your specs.
    In reality, when you pay 20-150% more than what 1333MHz memory costs and you end up with a 0.06 fps performance increase in gaming and 0.52 fps in encoding, there is nothing to brag about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think it can make a bigger improvement in AMD fusion systems. In one of those it may be worth the price premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Yeah but that would be like buying expensive tires for a cheaper and slower car. The performance of the newer AMD platforms is so dissapointing that if you are considering paying a price premium, you should be looking at the "other side" anyway :D

thats is really shocking how small improvement is over ram speed is! :eek:

so we even need ddr4 with bigger speeds at this stage?!

thats is really shocking how small improvement is over ram speed is! :eek:

so we even need ddr4 with bigger speeds at this stage?!

Nope, its just that these days CPU's have all the memory bandwidth they need.

AMD have had integrated memory controllers for years, and Intel have in recent years. So the direct connection to the memory controller on the CPU die really negates any benefit that higher bandwidth would have once given.

Sure, there will be some specific cases using programs that are particularly memory sensitive.

However, if your laptop has ddr3-1600 in it, you'd probably want to buy ram at the same speed. So for upgrading, my bargain alert is still valid.

• Advertisement

Nope, its just that these days CPU's have all the memory bandwidth they need.

AMD have had integrated memory controllers for years, and Intel have in recent years. So the direct connection to the memory controller on the CPU die really negates any benefit that higher bandwidth would have once given.

Sure, there will be some specific cases using programs that are particularly memory sensitive.

However, if your laptop has ddr3-1600 in it, you'd probably want to buy ram at the same speed. So for upgrading, my bargain alert is still valid.

bejesus, laptops! yeeeeck! :D

i am more interested in all ram speed thing that the actual bargain ram.

bejesus, laptops! yeeeeck! :D

i am more interested in all ram speed thing that the actual bargain ram.

My post doesn't only refer to laptops, but this is the bargain discussion thread. You're in the wrong place to discuss the intricacies of modern cou's and integrated memory controllers and memory in general.

My post doesn't only refer to laptops, but this is the bargain discussion thread. You're in the wrong place to discuss the intricacies of modern cou's and integrated memory controllers and memory in general.

sorry, sir. wont happen again, may i bring you a chocolate chip cookie?

sorry, sir. wont happen again, may i bring you a chocolate chip cookie?

Lol only with a nice cup of tea too :p

Lol only with a nice cup of tea too :p

earl grey or breakfast blend? sugar? milk? :D

So, back to discussing the bargain alerts...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

dwighet wrote: »

Doesn't include VAT, so they're actually €630

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I was browsing the new argos catalogue and spotted the bargain of the century:

Acer 23in 3D LED Monitor with Glasses

Did I mention that is obviously Out of stock everywhere?

Argos printed thousand catalogues with a misprice it would be interesting to see if these monitors will ever be in stock in Ireland

BTW the same one is sold for 200£ in Argos UK

darconio wrote: »
    I was browsing the new argos catalogue and spotted the bargain of the century:

Acer 23in 3D LED Monitor with Glasses

Did I mention that is obviously Out of stock everywhere?

Argos printed thousand catalogues with a misprice it would be interesting to see if these monitors will ever be in stock in Ireland

BTW the same one is sold for 200£ in Argos UK

if you check argos, there is a nice passport type external usb 3.0 hdd for very very good price. when i started to check on it and booked it off online i was told there is no such product...

argos can do stupid stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Keep us up to date! I would love a cheap 120 Hz monitor.

Advertisement