Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont really need one, I got a front cam on the phone but its a pretty good deal, might have to jump on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

ShaneU wrote: »
    GTX 660 for £120 delivered to Ireland, probably a mistake, comes with Assassin's creed 3 too

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-gigabyte-gtx-660-windforce-2x-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1033mhz-boost-1098mhz-cores-9

I think it was, coming up at £168.79 now

Removed now.

Both links the same there BaconZombie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I've been into two dealz, in cork and on henry street and neither of them said they had it or even knew what compressed air was.

• Advertisement

In here lads!

Anyways, wish I hadnt got the 7870 now so I could play around with 6770/5770 crossfire :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought 7770 crossfire earlier for no reason other than to just see what it's like.

So far I've only tried out BF3, running good @60fps at 1080 all set to high with no aa/af. Strangely, if I set textures to ultra, and ambient occlusion or aa etc, the framerate drops to about 40, but it actually feels more like 15-20fps, it's just awful! Not sure what that's about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I bought 7770 crossfire earlier for no reason other than to just see what it's like.

So far I've only tried out BF3, running good @60fps at 1080 all set to high with no aa/af. Strangely, if I set textures to ultra, and ambient occlusion or aa etc, the framerate drops to about 40, but it actually feels more like 15-20fps, it's just awful! Not sure what that's about...

2 1GB cards in xfire still only have 1gb memory available to games as both cards must hold the exact same info in memory. Your setup runs out of memory (1gb) at those settings, that's what causes the awful frame rates.

I know that, but what I said is that FRAPS records it as running at a decent frame rate, but it feels awful - it'll be stuttering and chopping, but the fraps counter never dips below about 30. So instead of a solid 50-60, I'll get 30-45, but it's just horrible to play. It's not a memory issue as I've played the game on ultra on other 1gb cards and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Then you're probably getting latency spikes. Can be an issue with multi-GPU setups. Try setting the GPUs (if possible) to both render the same frame, rather than alternates. With NVIDIA these are SFR (single frame rendering) and AFR (alternate), but I don't know what AMD calls them, or if they give the option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Sounds like micro stutter, welcome to the wonderful world of xfire :)

Make sure you have the latest driver and especially most recent CAPS, and setting a frame cap using RadeonPro to set a min FPS helps minimise the stutter-give a look at this article on TH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do they use new parts (definitely) when you get them to build it?

They'll send the boxes with leftover cables that aren't used.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

80% of the fun and excitement is unboxing the parts and building the pc: I personally wouldn't pay somebody to take that away from me!

glynf wrote: »
    Sounds like micro stutter, welcome to the wonderful world of xfire :)

Make sure you have the latest driver and especially most recent CAPS, and setting a frame cap using RadeonPro to set a min FPS helps minimise the stutter-give a look at this article on TH.

I uninstalled the drivers again, used Driver Cleaner this time, and installed newer drivers. Seems perfectly fine now - BF3 at Ultra settings at 1920x1200 and 2x AA running well on 64 man maps - and this is 16x/4x crossfire. Close to 7950 performance for €160 euro, not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

I uninstalled the drivers again, used Driver Cleaner this time, and installed newer drivers. Seems perfectly fine now - BF3 at Ultra settings at 1920x1200 and 2x AA running well on 64 man maps - and this is 16x/4x crossfire. Close to 7950 performance for €160 euro, not bad at all.

if you run both cards one @ 16 bandwidth and the other at 4 dont you lose out on alot of performance on the second card seems a waste to me man!:L

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not with current cards. Pcie3 x 4 is the same as pcie2 x 16.

Current cards don't make use of the extra bandwidth of pcie 3 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

PCI-E 3 x4 is equivalent to PCI-E 2 x8, but you're right, that it's plenty for current cards.

The thing to watch out for are those boards with a single PCI-E 3 x16 slot and a PCI-E 2 x4 slot, in which case you most definitely lose performance.

If anyone is looking for a cheap i5, I know a good ebay seller who sells 2nd hand cpu's, i5's for around the 100 mark, i3s for 70ish, and older s775's like 8400/8600 for about 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If anyone is looking for a cheap i5, I know a good ebay seller who sells 2nd hand cpu's, i5's for around the 100 mark, i3s for 70ish, and older s775's like 8400/8600 for about 20.

Howdy, can you pm me a link? Have been considering upgrading but will likely leave it for another while - though price might change that!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Lu Tze wrote: »

Howdy, can you pm me a link? Have been considering upgrading but will likely leave it for another while - though price might change that!

Ya me too pls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭frankston

deejer wrote: »

Ya me too pls

Mr also
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭frankston

Me also : - )
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Would love the link too, thanks!!

Here is the seller. Items for sale change regularly so check often. Have gotten some great bargains off him and all the cpu's were 100%. At the moment he has 2 low end i5's for around the 100 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Just a heads up, sterling has fallen to a 2 year low versus the euro. I remember that time too and there were lots and lots of bargains to be had with the UK retailers.

€1 = £0.88

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anyone know when the m500 ssd's actually show up? im in the market for a 120/128gb ssd, and the samsung cashback is only 250gb+.

An M4 is actually better than a 120GB M500. As it stands, the only M500 that's actually good value is the 960GB model. When prices fall a bit, the 480GB one will be in there, as well as the 240 one, but the 120GB model as-is is actually pretty bad €/GB-wise.
    Monotype wrote: »
    http://www.dabs.ie/learn-more/components-and-storage/claim-up-to--57-cashback-on-selected-samsung-ssds-12302.html

Cashback on Samsung SSDs at dabs (and other participating retailers). Makes them OK value, most seem to be slightly more competitive than if you were to buy from hardwareversand; you're not running away with a bargain but it's decent savings if you want an SSD at the moment. Worth considering that we might see some price reductions with the release of the M500. The offer is open until the 28th of May so if there's reductions before then, it could be very worthwhile.

That 500GB 840 is actually really good value. €268 with the discount. For an SSD that bit, that's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    anyone know when the m500 ssd's actually show up? im in the market for a 120/128gb ssd, and the samsung cashback is only 250gb+.

They're on Amazon UK now

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've a bit of a catch22: the SSD is going into an old slow laptop I got for free, so I don't really want to invest into it too much, but then a 120gb SSD is pretty useless to me in anything else (limited to 2 SATA slots in my prodigy, and already running 2*256gb 830's in RAID0)

if the laptop is still useless after I put the SSD in it, I've wasted my money. wonder where I could pick up a 256gb 830?

• Advertisement

I don't quite get what you mean. Fine, useless laptop so you want it cheap, but how does the Prodigy come into it?

Advertisement