Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

sorry. if the laptop is still unusable after I buy an SSD, then I'm going to Chuck it out, and I've got a spare, useless SSD. I can't fit it in my build, cause I'm out of SATA ports, and even in a later upgrade, it'd still be useless cause I'm running a raid array already.

I've already got one for my server too. a 256gb 830 would be usable in my game rig if I ever get another mobo with more raid SATA ports. I don't know if I'm asking for advice or just writing down my thoughts. sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've a bit of a catch22: the SSD is going into an old slow laptop I got for free, so I don't really want to invest into it too much, but then a 120gb SSD is pretty useless to me in anything else (limited to 2 SATA slots in my prodigy, and already running 2*256gb 830's in RAID0)

if the laptop is still useless after I put the SSD in it, I've wasted my money. wonder where I could pick up a 256gb 830?

I presume not so old that it has ide and not sata :D

How much space do you need in it?
    I put a 60gig ocz in my old netbook and it has speeded it up to usable levels. It pretty much is just for browsing and watching stuff.

What mobo you got in the prodigy that has you limited to 2 sata slots? Thought most itx boards come with 4 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The ASRock has four, but two are 3Gb/s.

@Tea: Got'cha. So you're buying an SSD either way, and if it makes the lappy usable, great, if not it gets added to the Prodigy.

Do you really need RAID though? Why not just buy a decent SSD and chuck it in a SATA2 port. Odds are you're not going to notice any difference. I had my 830 plugged into SATA2 for a couple of weeks and never noticed. :P

mostly cause I'm broke :o but good point.

right, 128gb it is. cheap as possible while being reliable. 840, m4, m500 or Intel 310?

840 gets my vote. From a quick look around, looks to be the cheapest of the bunch at the moment. Same warranty as the M4, and from Hardware.info's testing of the drive, it looks like the flash at least is reliable enough to last decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Intel 310? Maybe you mean 330.

I suppose 840 is the way to go for cheap but reasonably reliable, although price per GB is a little nearer than you'd think with the higher capacities on the M4. M500 is too dear ATM.

I would be inclined to wait a little bit, but I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. Too bad the 830s dried up so quickly. The probably wanted to float their good name on the 840s.

On the other hand, Crucial could pull a magical stunt like last time with huge upgrades through firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Noticed these 2 cases while doing a build for someone. Only €5 more than the the usually recommended bitfenix merc alpha but far more feature rich and come with 2 fans. Especially the cooltek. Fan controller, removeable metal drive bays, 4 usb (2 super speed) , tool-less everything and all the vents you could want. I can't find a review for it though.

Sub €40 case kings?

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Midi/76197/Cooltek+CT+K5+3.0%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Midi/70858/Xigmatek+Asgard+Pro+Midi-Tower+-+schwarz.article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've a bit of a catch22: the SSD is going into an old slow laptop I got for free

how old is old?

HP 530. 1.6ghz CeleronM 533FBS on a 940 chipset, so no cpu upgrade options. the GPU is horrible. struggles at 480p youtube. 2gb max ram (normal 512mb, but i filled it with 2gb 800mhz DDR2)

ill wait a week and see if anything comes of the m500, or price drops on anything else. thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

BloodBath wrote: »
    Noticed these 2 cases while doing a build for someone. Only €5 more than the the usually recommended bitfenix merc alpha but far more feature rich and come with 2 fans. Especially the cooltek. Fan controller, removeable metal drive bays, 4 usb (2 super speed) , tool-less everything and all the vents you could want. I can't find a review for it though.

Sub €40 case kings?

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Midi/76197/Cooltek+CT+K5+3.0%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Midi/70858/Xigmatek+Asgard+Pro+Midi-Tower+-+schwarz.article

Has anyone any experience with either of these cases? Looks pretty decent. :cool:

• Advertisement

I spotted the Cooltek last week when those couple of budget builds showed up, but I didn't realise it had nearly as much going on on the inside! I'd definitely pick that over the Merc. Even if it is a bit flimsy or whatever (there's not really far to go wrong with such a cheap case) you get a lot extra for that €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone get this up and going? Verification isnt working for me and cant login.

Yup working perfectly for me .. I tested it thoroughly :P

I tried doing it first when I was at work and I just got the loading spinner and it would fail after a couple of mins. The application doesn't have anyway to enter proxy settings so it can't be used behind a proxy.

When I tried it at home, there was no issues with it.

works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Looks like a server may have been down, validated now :)

Jonny7 wrote: »
    HD 7770 1GB + four games

FarCry 3: Blood Dragon,
    BioShock Infinite,
    Tomb Raider 2013,
    FarCry 3

87 quid from Aria (not including delivery)

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/AMD+Radeon/Radeon+HD+7770/ARIAnet+Radeon+HD+7770+1GB+GDDR5+Graphics+Card+%2B+5+FREE+GAMES!+?noVat=0&productId=52020

I might actually get this.

And then sell the 7770. :D

That's a seriously good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Is it a good card?

It's at a very good price-point even without the deal. It's a low-end gaming card, but it can game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Mmm, maybe a good stop gap till I have money for a new system.
    Currently running a E8400, 4GB ram and an 1GB AMD HD4800 {RV770}.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    It's at a very good price-point even without the deal. It's a low-end gaming card, but it can game.

It would be a decent upgrade and shouldn't be bottle necked by the cpu.

That's about as far as you're going to go on that processor though.

Have you overclocked it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

24EA53VQ

Could this be gotten cheaper via parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

MRTULES wrote: »
    24EA53VQ

Could this be gotten cheaper via parcel motel?

try putting in a request on flubit, chances are they'll beat the price

for those working out the price for amazon prices in Ireland, to save time...

Amazon Prices for Ireland chrome extension. does the vat/xe.com work for you.

Nice one! Saves me a lot of clicks adding ****e to my basket all the time.

is the monitor still a good buy at €150?

The Camelizer - Amazon Price Tracker

is another good chrome extension. i keep forgetting i have it though :o its only been tracking this monitor for 4 days. is it a new listing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BA Chat goes here folks! May have to rethink our stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sure I think most of the forums have ignored that 3 stickies rules.

I think it would be no harm to sticky the "How to Ask for Computer Build Help" one - or maybe if you could move the post directly into the FAQ thread or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Amazon have updated the description on the MSI 7950, seems legit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

beno619 wrote: »
    Amazon have updated the description on the MSI 7950, seems legit!

Wow. That'll be unreal if it goes through - but I doubt it will to be honest.

Advertisement