Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Only Razer product I have is a Deathadder, the sensor is flawless and the mouse is comfortable for me and my weird grip, but the newest drivers are atrocious. Why the fook should I sign in for a mouse driver :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

TheDoc wrote: »
    I could really take or leave the Deathadder. It's not better then my MX518, which I still change to now and again.

I guess like so many things, your paying extra for the flashy looks and the logo. Performance wise and quality wise, there is no value in a Razer product.
    I wouldn't call it fanboi. I think its just consumers who maybe are putting too much weight into what the pros are using, and what they are recommending. They would tell you smoking is brilliant and helps improve their performance, if they got paid enough to do it. A gamer who streams or plays proffesionally will just say whatever they are sponsored with is brilliant.

nail-on-the-head.png

I've had a MX518 for nearly 10 years now. I jumped on it when it was released (and yes it was pricey at the time). Thats 9 years of gaming, being chucked about, brought to LANs and in general heavy use. It is still fully functional and has never caused me a day of trouble, and I've won LAN competitions with it.

In that time I've seen people go through countless Razer mice for all sorts of reasons... the most hilarious IMO being the DPI count. I don't know what the feck you think you need a billion DPI for, but you really really don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yep, I still have an old Logitech mouse that I used for about 10 years that still works perfectly.

The feet are worn off it completely it got that much use. The bottom of it is perfectly flat with a mirror finish after being gradually filed down by a cloth mouse mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I use a logitech mouse at home and a razer mouse in work.

Both have been bulletproof since i got them , and both get lots of abuse. The mx518 just fits my hand better for gaming , but my razer lachesis has more buttons. I've tried using deathadder mice before and I liked them too.

Personally I think Razer are a better force for good in the gaming world than logitech are , just in terms of product innovation and what they are trying to do with osvr and the portable / wearable systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've a left hand wireless logitech mouse and a razer lachesis since 2007.
    Both have had a lot of abuse and neither have ever failed me. Work just as well as the day I got them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm always on the lookout for a new mouse assuming my deathadder will break at any minute.

The left click is making a noticable clunky clack lately. Few friends did a bulk buy of a Logitech mouse, cant remember the model name, but seemingly a re-release of the 518, exactly the same just a bumped DPI and colour scheme.

Probably end up going with that, they got them for €40. Definitly wont be forking out big bucks on gaming branded gear again. Simply don't see the added value in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I'm always on the lookout for a new mouse assuming my deathadder will break at any minute.

The left click is making a noticable clunky clack lately. Few friends did a bulk buy of a Logitech mouse, cant remember the model name, but seemingly a re-release of the 518, exactly the same just a bumped DPI and colour scheme.

Probably end up going with that, they got them for €40. Definitly wont be forking out big bucks on gaming branded gear again. Simply don't see the added value in it

Id say it was the G400 from logitech,have one myself and im pretty happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

justjustin wrote: »
    Spotted some GT210s in PcWorld Galway for €15 down from €25 I think. I know it's not really a "graphics" card but might suit some for a HTPC build or similar.

Would this be better than integrated graphics on a i3 4160?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Have been through a few mice... still have to find "the one".

/foreveralone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

srumball wrote: »

Nope.

GT210 is useless in any modern PC, would only really benefit much older PC's, any integrated video solution from the past considerable number of years can do anything a GT210 can do really. It will add HDMI though, so there's that, and it would be faster than integrated graphics on older setups (on older games, not possible to play current games on a gt210).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

The iGPU would be better by a nice bit I think - they've come on quite a bit in recent times. This would be more suited to a low power HTPC with no iGPU, nothing more in fairness.

It's an EVGA model, 1GB with passive cooling and comes with a low-profile bracket. I might just get one to replace the slightly noisy 8400gs I have in my second machine.

edit: what he said, will use it with the core2duo he sold me a couple of years ago :) ^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

Would this be a decent bargain?

Asus Intel PDC Anniversary Bundle (Includes H81M-PLUS, Intel PDC G3258 & 8GB Vengeance Memory)

http://m.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-pdc-anniversary-bundle--includes-h81m-plus--intel-pdc-g3258---8gb-vengeance-memory--9MBS.html?q=g3258&src=16

Tried to find the items separately on other sites but comes in and around the same price. Sometimes more...

brevity wrote: »

Asus Intel PDC Anniversary Bundle (Includes H81M-PLUS, Intel PDC G3258 & 8GB Vengeance Memory)

http://m.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-pdc-anniversary-bundle--includes-h81m-plus--intel-pdc-g3258---8gb-vengeance-memory--9MBS.html?q=g3258&src=16

Tried to find the items separately on other sites but comes in and around the same price. Sometimes more...

Not a bad price, did you check pc part picker

Not a bad price, did you check pc part picker

Ya, works out around at 160 sterling, which is about 210euro. Same as dabs.

Maybe I'm just focusing on the fact that its all bundled in together, at a competitive price, which kinda seems more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is an i3 bundle with less ram for €2 less .... so depending on your use .....

https://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,motherboards-and-processors/11022?q=Bundle

Can you OC that Pentium on a h81 board? If not then don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can, yeah.

Its pretty much gonna be a gaming maching. Skyrim and few others.

Thinking of overclocking and pairing with a R9 280.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Its pretty much gonna be a gaming maching. Skyrim and few others.

Thinking of overclocking and pairing with a R9 280.

I don't game but if it makes any difference the i3 is dual core with 4 threads whereas the Pentium is dual core with 2 threads.

Other than that the extra ram might be required for gaming?

I don't game but if it makes any difference the i3 is dual core with 4 threads whereas the Pentium is dual core with 2 threads.

Other than that the extra ram might be required for gaming?

Cool thanks.

Thought the g3258 OC would be a better option than the i3 as I'm on a bit of a budget but if I can get away with 4gb then I might just get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Seems like a decent deal. Supposedly a good overclock chip, also get a good CPU cooler if you want to get good overclock figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

nail-on-the-head.png

I've had a MX518 for nearly 10 years now. I jumped on it when it was released (and yes it was pricey at the time). Thats 9 years of gaming, being chucked about, brought to LANs and in general heavy use. It is still fully functional and has never caused me a day of trouble, and I've won LAN competitions with it.

In that time I've seen people go through countless Razer mice for all sorts of reasons... the most hilarious IMO being the DPI count. I don't know what the feck you think you need a billion DPI for, but you really really don't.

What LAN competitions have you won out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

dog_pig wrote: »
    What LAN competitions have you won out of interest?

A lot of UT2k4 (that'll give you an idea of how long ago those LANs were :p). Last one I remember (ok I read the date on the trophy) was Midlans 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As someone who spent time watching proffesional level gaming and reporting on it, for a lengthy period the MX518 was the mouse of choice for so many gaming disciplines.

It really only changed when companies started coming in offering big money to players in sponsorship deals, that involved exclusivity for hardware/peripheral use.

It's somewhat a point now where so many mice are really the same, that players can just choose whoever offers them the most money, and there won't be much performance impact.

Steelseries did a big push for the Sensei and Razer were already doing a bit marketing campaign for the Deathadder, to be honest you'd be hard pushed telling the difference between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cool thanks.

Thought the g3258 OC would be a better option than the i3 as I'm on a bit of a budget but if I can get away with 4gb then I might just get it.

It depends on what you're playing. Most games, the OC'd G3258 would be as good or better, but there are a few games when the i3 will kill it, Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 off the top of my head, generally anything very CPU heavy shows up the G3258's lack of HT.

Personally I would just get the i3 when they're the same price, nothing to worry about then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Is it too much to hope for an unlocked Pentium and i3 when Broadwell launches, you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Broadwell will not completely replace the full range of CPUs from the previous microarchitecture (Haswell), as there will be no low-end desktop CPUs based on Broadwell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture)

It depends on what you're playing. Most games, the OC'd G3258 would be as good or better, but there are a few games when the i3 will kill it, Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 off the top of my head, generally anything very CPU heavy shows up the G3258's lack of HT.

Personally I would just get the i3 when they're the same price, nothing to worry about then.

Mostly Skyrim, the new Mordor game and Wolfenstein. Maybe a few others but I'm so behind in PC gaming I'm sure that I'll be OK missing out on the heavy duty games.

The i3 pack only comes with 4gb...would this be a problem?

I have been putting together a PC build shopping list and will pop it up in the next few days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mostly Skyrim, the new Mordor game and Wolfenstein. Maybe a few others but I'm so behind in PC gaming I'm sure that I'll be OK missing out on the heavy duty games.

The i3 pack only comes with 4gb...would this be a problem?

I have been putting together a PC build shopping list and will pop it up in the next few days.

I'd go with the i3 and keep an eye out for a cheap RAM deal. Bound to pick one up cheap on adverts or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know any cheap SSD? I'm looking for a new one as my boot drive is full and I don't want to use my hard drives for GTA V, I would prefer it to be on a SSD.

Advertisement