Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Are there better bargains to be had closer to Christmas, or January even ? My current PC works just fine but I want to buy a new one and give the current one to my brother. Have around €650 ~ to spend just for the unit itself (already have Monitor, OS & other peripherals). Would I get more for my money if I wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

jamescd wrote: »
    Are there better bargains to be had closer to Christmas, or January even ? My current PC works just fine but I want to buy a new one and give the current one to my brother. Have around €650 ~ to spend just for the unit itself (already have Monitor, OS & other peripherals). Would I get more for my money if I wait ?

I'd say after the new year when they'll be reducing prices of old stock in anticipation for all the new stock? I could be wrong though. Also new wave of Nvidia GPUs on the way(?) and AMD GPUs set to take a price reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Regarding the Logitech G430 headset - it's fantastic. Ordered it during the black friday lightning deal, the .fr one today was actually cheaper but meh. Expected delivery Dec 2nd... it arrived toady :pac: Easily the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. There's so much padding I have literally worn it all day and never once felt it got sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

More then likely missed the boat after the sales of the last few days but im looking at upgrading my ps4 harddrive to at least a 2tb 2.5 inch internal drive.

Has anyone spot anything worth mentioning ?

Regarding the Logitech G430 headset - it's fantastic. Ordered it during the black friday lightning deal, the .fr one today was actually cheaper but meh. Expected delivery Dec 2nd... it arrived toady :pac: Easily the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. There's so much padding I have literally worn it all day and never once felt it got sore.

Great mic on it too for the price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Have had the same headset now for about 18 months. LOVE IT!

was so impressed with logitech's range, I ended up getting a g502 proteus core and logitech g910 keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

More then likely missed the boat after the sales of the last few days but im looking at upgrading my ps4 harddrive to at least a 2tb 2.5 inch internal drive.

Has anyone spot anything worth mentioning ?

Didn't see any deal on mechanical hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Sapphire R9 Fury x for €569 on Amazon France. Thats €100 cheaper than standard price and about the same price as the non-x Fury so a real bargain. Only 6 left in stock so jump on quick as it may be a misprice

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00ZPQS0AG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96

Bought one for my new freesync XR341ck to replace my R9 290 Tri-x OC edition which still performed very well. Will be reluctant to give up the tri-x but couldn't pass on the Fury X bargain. Will be throwing my 290 Tri-X on adverts soon for anyone interested which performs on par with stock 390x models due to it's great overclockability.

zarquon wrote: »
    Sapphire R9 Fury x for €569 on Amazon France. Thats €100 cheaper than standard price and about the same price as the non-x Fury so a real bargain. Only 6 left in stock so jump on quick as it may be a misprice

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00ZPQS0AG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96

Bought one for my new freesync XR341ck to replace my R9 290 Tri-x OC edition which still performed very well. Will be reluctant to give up the tri-x but couldn't pass on the Fury X bargain. Will be throwing my 290 Tri-X on adverts soon for anyone interested which performs on par with stock 390x models due to it's great overclockability.

Probably trying to offload stock while they still can, sales are going to be suspended.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/48808/asetek-demands-suspension-sales-amds-radeon-r9-fury/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Nollog

Do the Germans do new years sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

I'm tempted by that Crucial mx200 500GB SSD for £109 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX200-500GB-Internal-Adapter/dp/B00RQA6E20?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelanonalerts-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00RQA6E20

I'm wondering would it improve performance in DayZ and Arma 2 which only uses about 50% of my ****ty HD5770 GPU. Im running an ancient core 2 quad @ 2.33 Ghz, with 4GBS of RAm.

Its a game that relies a lot on Streaming from the HDD apparently.

Something is telling me though that there will be much better deals at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Doge wrote: »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX200-500GB-Internal-Adapter/dp/B00RQA6E20?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelanonalerts-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00RQA6E20

I'm wondering would it improve performance in DayZ and Arma 2 which only uses about 50% of my ****ty HD5770 GPU. Im running an ancient core 2 quad @ 2.33 Ghz, with 4GBS of RAm.

Something is telling me though that there will be much better deals at the end of the year.

If you are on a old system like that you most likely have sata II where as SSD's rely on sata III to get the full potential from the SSD.

Do you not have and SSD already? If not, do not hesitate for a second to get one. It is the biggest increase in performance I've ever noticed for any upgrade (assuming you gfx card, ram and cpu isn't complete doge ****)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was running crossfire 5770s on a core 2 quad until about a month ago (recently upgraded gfx card). An SSD will make an unbelievable difference. Even when I first got my SSD I noticed a big difference playing COD online to being the last to join a game from the lobby to being among the first.

The crucial bx200 240gb I posted a while back on Amazon - ASENDIA was assigned as the carrier and I can only assume lost the order or some other bull****. It's a week overdue for delivery (after an initial 2 week delivery time anyway).

Contacted Amazon and they've issued a replacement straight away with free priority shipping, and will be delivered by Tuesday. Just a heads up incase anyone else is in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

^^Ye ive seen them mentioned on boards a good few times now as being very unreliable seller. Mostly over on the Playstation forum by people who have bought games from them but it seems to be a problem no matter whats ordered from them,i would avoid.

EoinHef wrote: »
    ^^Ye ive seen them mentioned on boards a good few times now as being very unreliable seller. Mostly over on the Playstation forum by people who have bought games from them but it seems to be a problem no matter whats ordered from them,i would avoid.

Problem is they're not a seller - it's just one of the courier services that Amazon use. And it seems like packages are randomly assigned to a courier, so it's just about impossible to avoid them unless you always pay for express shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You will probably receive the first SSD in a week or two. Happened me over the christmas period. I ordered a xbox one game and never received it three weeks after christmas so got onto amazon and they refunded me two weeks later it arrives so I got back onto amazon to give the refunded money back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Problem is they're not a seller - it's just one of the courier services that Amazon use. And it seems like packages are randomly assigned to a courier, so it's just about impossible to avoid them unless you always pay for express shipping.

Ah ok,i didnt realise they were just a courier associated with amazon. Most of the complaints were about long or failed deliveries,should have twigged it.
    Ill have to keep a look out for that in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ohhhh, don't go paying for express. Then you'll get i-Parcel who are even worse than Ascendia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Did you just order the single item?

I buy a lot from amazon and never had one sent via Asendia. I always order in two's and three's though i.e. two different products in one order and it's always sent via An Post. Sometimes I just add other products on just to get the free delivery over £25 . Other times I just buy 2/3 items together that I want, even if one item alone is already over £25.

ED E wrote: »
    Ohhhh, don't go paying for express. Then you'll get i-Parcel who are even worse than Ascendia.

Only had one thing sent with iParcel before, they were bang on with their estimated delivery times. No issues there at all. Apparently the replacement SSD has been sent via them, so we'll see how that goes.
    jamescd wrote: »
    Did you just order the single item?

Single item, £39.99. I've ordered loads from Amazon as well (literally my whole PC) and never came across them before either. Luck of the draw I guess.

ED E wrote: »

SSD arrived today via iParcel, bang on guaranteed date. 2-0 for iParcel in my books

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

SSD arrived today via iParcel, bang on guaranteed date. 2-0 for iParcel in my books

Been ok so far this year. Last year iParcel was brutal. Sometimes late by 2 weeks past the delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Logitech g910 is €144 on Amazon.de and I believe eligible for a free copy of the division so if you are looking for a new kb and are getting the division it's a decent deal, grabbed it myself so will confirm the free game when I can

I don't mean to be rude but what's the point of getting a keyboard like that? I spent a tenner on mine and its perfectly served it's purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I don't mean to be rude but what's the point of getting a keyboard like that? I spent a tenner on mine and its perfectly served it's purpose.

Why not get one? I don't drink smoke or do drugs my PC is my hobby, I like nice things,
    What car do you have? Why not use a bicycle it serves the same purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Mechanical Keyboards are nice to type on. If you are typing a lot, and there is a nicer experience available, wouldn't you be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Depends. I buy more expensive keyboards because of RSI issues (cheap keyboards in my experience typically have bad ergonomics that screw you over a few years down the line with arm/neck/hand issues).

Some buy them for macro functionality (good macro software/hardware is invaluable in a range of situations from shortcutting repetitive sequences during work to gaining an advantage in gaming).

Others, mostly competitive gamers looking for an edge, buy keyboards with better key response times.

Finally, more expensive keyboards tend to have better finishing/quality so they feel nicer to use, look better, hold up better with age. It's like anything else - you get what you pay for (within reason).

A well chosen mid-range to expensive keyboard is quite a good investment relative to other PC components as, if it's good, you'll keep using it long after the rest of the PC has been replaced. I've still got a couple of Microsoft Natural 4000s I've been using day in day out for a decade now and I know a guy who is still using an IBM Model M after ~30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I have the Logitech G910, and it's by far the best keyboard i've ever used.

Very comfortable for long gaming sessions, typing is a dream and the build quality is fantastic.
    Great Macro abilities for gaming, and color setup is just spectacular.
    It can even detect what game is open and change the color sequence to one you configure.

Oh, and it looks AWESOME.

Advertisement