Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

will56 wrote: »
    Would this be an okay set up then: have my current 120gb for Windows and random programs, a second 240gb for steam games and then a HDD for movies, photos etc ?

That's what my set up is, I've no issues. If you're stuck or have crappy internet you can backup the steam games to the HDD and delete them from the SSD to make space, save having to download again if you want them back.

Or, you know, load some games from HDD :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

That's what my set up is, I've no issues. If you're stuck or have crappy internet you can backup the steam games to the HDD and delete them from the SSD to make space, save having to download again if you want them back.

That's what I'm doing at the moment actually :)

Just trying to decide what size drive to get now. The Crucial on Amazon gets some fairly awful reviews, but I can't see much online re the integral to see if its much of a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ah now, I've regularly got about 40 games on my 240gb, mix of AAAs and indies so unless you play solely massive AAA games (GTAV is the only game above 30gb I can think of) and need to have 3-4 of them at the same time, 120gb is manageable and 240gb loads

120gb wouldn't be optimal of gaming but its not a total waste of money if its all you can afford

Meh my GTA 5 game folder ranks up to 68GB. Ark Survival is 70GB.
    Yeah grand for small little titles, and some certain AAA titles, but those 2 games is whats causing me the headache at this moment, as I have about 5 games on the gaming SSD, GTA 5 and a few small ones, and I cant install other games on it now with 40-60GB of wasted space.

Future going, games are only going to get bigger, not smaller. So that 120 GB that was massive a few years back is going to get smaller and smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Is the BX200 then a good buy for a steam drive or am I better off with an integral 240gb until prices drop again ?

As in is the Crucial BX200 really good value at the Amazon price so worth spending that bit more or would the integral be alright value for the 240gb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

will56 wrote: »
    Is the BX200 then a good buy for a steam drive or am I better off with an integral 240gb until prices drop again ?

As in is the Crucial BX200 really good value at the Amazon price so worth spending that bit more or would the integral be alright value for the 240gb ?

Doesn't matter that much, pretty much all SSD's are so fast now it makes little real world difference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Ah now, I've regularly got about 40 games on my 240gb

*40 2D pixel indie games.

Games are reaching ludicrous gb sizes. I wouldn't put less than a 500GB in my system anymore.

Wright wrote: »
    *40 2D pixel indie games.

Games are reaching ludicrous gb sizes. I wouldn't put less than a 500GB in my system anymore.

2D pixel games including The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Origins, Dark Souls 3, BioShock, Dead Island Riptide, Dark Souls and Just Cause 2. Bunch of 3D, graphically intensive indies, and a few 2D pixel indies to round it out.

But whatever you say.

Regardless of what you'd put into your machine, not everyone can afford a 500gb SSD, 250gb definitely isn't redundant

2D pixel games including The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Origins, Dark Souls 3, BioShock, Dead Island Riptide, Dark Souls and Just Cause 2. Bunch of 3D, graphically intensive indies, and a few 2D pixel indies to round it out.

But whatever you say.

Regardless of what you'd put into your machine, not everyone can afford a 500gb SSD, 250gb definitely isn't redundant

And 40 suddenly becomes 7 plus some indies :pac:

(What you listed is 157GB by the way).

As someone with only a singular 500GB SSD in his rig atm I can say with experience, no, under 500GB is just not gonna cut it. Wait a little for a sale or save up. GTAV when downloaded, uncompressed and installed is like 83GB. Current gen, and from here on out, titles are bloody ludicrous in size. DSIII is like 50GB as well, and it's not even particularly a looker. Substance doesn't seem to have done much for smaller textures, devs are chucking massive textures in their games despite Substance offering its own smaller file type.

It's always wiser to hold out a little if you can't stretch atm. Better for your rig in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It depends on how you play. I never understood people who feel the need to have 500GB worth of games installed at any one time personally - at the moment I have just Battlefront and Fallout 4 installed, and I also have a 250GB SSD and it's more than enough for me - still plenty space for more AAA games if I wanted to add a third or fourth (but that's unlikely for me).

My last machine had a 480GB SSD and it never went beyond about 150GB so it was wasted on me really.

Wright wrote: »
    And 40 suddenly becomes 7 plus some indies :pac:

(What you listed is 157GB by the way).

As someone with only a singular 500GB SSD in his rig atm I can say with experience, no, under 500GB is just not gonna cut it. Wait a little for a sale or save up. GTAV when downloaded, uncompressed and installed is like 83GB. Current gen, and from here on out, titles are bloody ludicrous in size. DSIII is like 50GB as well, and it's not even particularly a looker. Substance doesn't seem to have done much for smaller textures, devs are chucking massive textures in their games despite Substance offering its own smaller file type.

It's always wiser to hold out a little if you can't stretch atm. Better for your rig in the long run.

I said I had 40 games, not 40 AAAs?

Were discussing 250gb SSDs for games only, I'm not sure if you mean you've got only the 500gb SSD or not.

Aside from GTAV and Ark, what other massive games have you? The Witcher 3 is just over 30gb with the DLC, DS3 is intact 17gb, wherever you pulled 50gb from.

Not sure what listing the size of my games has to do with anything either...

Anyways, this is tiresome, see you next time you want an argument

• Advertisement

at the moment I have just Battlefront and Fallout 4 installed

Not a typical case scenario IMO. Typically people will have a few things installed, not to mention MMO's/MOBA's/multiplayer games which they permanently have installed.
    DS3 is intact 17gb, wherever you pulled 50gb from.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/117181/20151217/dark-souls-3-for-pc-will-take-up-50-gb-of-storage-other-system-requirements-revealed.htm

Though apparently we're both wrong, its 25gb according to the steam page.

Games are only getting bigger in size, so I don't personally recommend under 500GB. If you go for a 240GB, a game like GTAV will take up 1/3 of your drive automatically. It wasn't that long ago we were aghast at Max Payne's 35GB. That's an almost 50GB jump in a title from the same guys in what, three years? And R* are not alone in this; Shadow of Mordor is 57GB for instance too.

The requesting poster can do what he wants with this information, it's his choice.:cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Except Steam is stuck even further back in the last decade than my horrific internet and still hasn't learned that trick yet D; Wherever your Steam install is, that's where your entire library has to be too. And all it takes is one minor update for a game you've sneakily shuffled off to your old HDD and boom! File desync, part or all of the game has to be re-downloaded once you want to play it again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Solitaire wrote: »
    Except Steam is stuck even further back in the last decade than my horrific internet and still hasn't learned that trick yet D; Wherever your Steam install is, that's where your entire library has to be too. And all it takes is one minor update for a game you've sneakily shuffled off to your old HDD and boom! File desync, part or all of the game has to be re-downloaded once you want to play it again :(

Thats not true. You can install games anywhere you want now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

When you install the game it asks where you want to put it. I have 3 different steam folders across 3 HDDs and it works fine . if the files are already in that folder steam will check and download what's missing . if the game won't run , verify the game files and it should recheck and download what's needed.

Tut tut tut. This hasn't been the case for like 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Crucial Ballistix Elite 16 GB (8 GB x 2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300)

£52 .

Back on sale lads.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Ballistix-PC4-21300-Memory-Module/dp/B00RCGJLIM?ie=UTF8&ref_=gbps_img_s-3_6027_b77ae5ee&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Sale ends at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Nedved85 wrote: »

Wish Gigabyte got their color schemes in line. I have a their 980 GPU and its, black with a blue LED, neither of their boards can match it :( i know its only aesthetics but cmon...

Nedved85 wrote: »

The advice I would give you is to ask yourself what you want to do with your pc. I used to spend a lot of cash on mobo's just because they had all the best reviews and bells and whistles . I eventually realized that I actually was never gonna try and break the overclocking world records or that I needed a 4 drive raid system .

I now just buy mobo's that have the good specs with top end features for a reasonable price.

For the last few builds I have done ,I have worked with Asrock boards as they are good bang for buck ,and I have had no issues with them so far. I currently have a X99 setup . I tried MSI boards for this build ,but I had awfull trouble with them and sent all 3 back and returned to Asrock .

Here is a board that has SLi and you will get with the ram for about the same as the mobo you posted ,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Z170X-Skylake-Gaming-Motherboard/dp/B015E3LSZS/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1460540440&sr=1-2&keywords=Z170X

My 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

My only rule for buying boards now days is that it has to have a diagnostic LED panel on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My only rule for buying boards now days is that it has to have a diagnostic LED panel on it.

IPMI or forget it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

ED E wrote: »
    IPMI or forget it :D

And dual Intel NICs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Remember that this is the discussion thread. The actual Bargains thread is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214991

Also, hot damn that's a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ok I'm tempted as I bought a Gsync monitor in January not caring what card I already had (r9 290 tri-x). I have two questions :

Would It be a worthwhile upgrade?

Is this the best 980 Ti deal I could expect to find in the next month or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

miralize wrote: »
    Ok I'm tempted as I bought a Gsync monitor in January not caring what card I already had (r9 290 tri-x). I have two questions :

Would It be a worthwhile upgrade?

Is this the best 980 Ti deal I could expect to find in the next month or two?

I upgraded from a r9 290x to the msi 980ti and i would say its marginal, due to cost to fps upgrade, without gsync but if you already have the monitor I'd say definitely yes!

only thing that would hold me back is the possible release of nvidias next line of cards.... but you will always have that sitting over a gfx card purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it's a Gysnc 1080p 60fps then no, but if it's 144hz 1080p+ then yes it would be a very good upgrade.

I wouldn't call it marginal, the 980ti is way faster across the board, and in some games is 50%+ better. If it's raw performance you want rather than value for money then it's a massive upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I did say cost to fps upgrade its marginal. Its an expensive card even at the reduced price. Which has actually gone up to 650+ again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Thanks guys! Bought it while the deal was in place yesterday.. Now to find the buyer for my 290!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

miralize wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Bought it while the deal was in place yesterday.. Now to find the buyer for my 290!

How much are you selling it for?

Advertisement