Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

As good as the OCUK deal on the HD5850 was/is, pixmania have just about a better deal:

Sapphire HD5850 1GB for €166.96 at Pixmania...

The only thing is, shipping is about €15, but still a great deal. Surprisingly not many people in the BA thread seem to think so...
    deconduo wrote: »

While not a bad price, it is a 5400rpm drive. Shocking in this day and age. With large platters and very slow spindle speed, this will be a very low performing drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

From BA Thread
    Eh...
    Sapphire HD5850 1GB for €166.96 at Pixmania...

I think I might just buy one...

After my other post about OCUK and their order validation, this seems like less stress.

But Pixmania are adding "Zen Engagement" on the order at a price of €16,61

This makes both total out at €200
    Im trying to figure out how to remove the Zen Engagement from the order, any ideas ???

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    From BA Thread

After my other post about OCUK and their order validation, this seems like less stress.

But Pixmania are adding "Zen Engagement" on the order at a price of €16,61

This makes both total out at €200
    Im trying to figure out how to remove the Zen Engagement from the order, any ideas ???

You can de-select Zen Engagement when ordering. At the final order screen, there should be a tick box below it. I ordered a 460 and removed the zen crap.

Found it, thanks a million!

€183.95 including vat and express delivery, versus OCUK's €198.19.

Ill get this new card if it kills me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

While not a bad price, it is a 5400rpm drive. Shocking in this day and age. With large platters and very slow spindle speed, this will be a very low performing drive.

The Samsung 2TB F4 is an EcoGreen model so it's not meant to be a performance drive, but a quiet and energy efficient drive. As such, it manages this successfully as a result of only using 3 platters; as opposed to the 4 platters commonly found in other models in this size bracket.

You can see the evidence of this in this review.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The Samsung 2TB F4 is an EcoGreen model so it's not meant to be a performance drive, but a quiet and energy efficient drive. As such, it manages this successfully as a result of only using 3 platters; as opposed to the 4 platters commonly found in other models in this size bracket.

You can see the evidence of this in this review.

I know exactly what it is, thanks. I still think purchasing a 5400rpm drive in 2010 is madness.

If you used 10's of drives for storage, I could maybe understand. But as the HDD is generally neither the noisiest nor most power hungry part of a home PC, I really do think its a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Came to €173 for me from OCUK's. Before the 24th that is!

I know exactly what it is, thanks. I still think purchasing a 5400rpm drive in 2010 is madness.

If you used 10's of drives for storage, I could maybe understand. But as the HDD is generally neither the noisiest nor most power hungry part of a home PC, I really do think its a bit pointless.

Spindle speed is not as important as you think. The actual difference in performance between the Caviar Black 2TB (Probably the fastest 2TB drive out) and the F4 is ~10% In fact, the F4 outperforms most 7200rpm drives older than 2 years.

Benchmarks:

F4 Ecogreen 2TB:

singledriveread.png

WD Caviar Black 2TB:

wdcaviarblack2tbhdtune.png

Considering that the Caviar Black is €150 (if you're lucky) and the F4 is €75 I think the choice is obvious.

I'll take your single benchmark result, and raise you a full review.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1076-page3.html

Pay attention to boot times & app loading.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1076-page4.html

Its not really any quieter than the other drives tested here. It does use a little less power though.

So yeah, it is slower.

On most sites however, it does appear to be one of the, if not the cheapest 2tb drive money can buy, so if you can sacrifice performance for €€, by all means buy it.

IMO in the days of super fast SSD's and fast 7200rpm drives, let alone power hungry video cards and CPU's, the HDD is not an area needing to reduce power by the odd watt, or noise, as its generally the quietest part of a PC anyway.

Cheap media storage, the Ecogreen gets a thumbs up, but certainly wouldn;t be using it for my programs or boot drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The quieter the drive, the less vibrations will be transferred through the case, thereby eliminating that drone a lot of computers have as a result of vibrations. Granted, this won't be a concern for a lot of users, but, for those who are concerned, it's useful information to have.

Also, I don't think many here would intend to use a 2 TB drive as a boot drive, especially given the advent of cheaper than ever SSDs.

I'll take your single benchmark result, and raise you a full review.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1076-page3.html

Pay attention to boot times & app loading.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1076-page4.html

Its not really any quieter than the other drives tested here. It does use a little less power though.

So yeah, it is slower.

On most sites however, it does appear to be one of the, if not the cheapest 2tb drive money can buy, so if you can sacrifice performance for €€, by all means buy it.

IMO in the days of super fast SSD's and fast 7200rpm drives, let alone power hungry video cards and CPU's, the HDD is not an area needing to reduce power by the odd watt, or noise, as its generally the quietest part of a PC anyway.

Cheap media storage, the Ecogreen gets a thumbs up, but certainly wouldn;t be using it for my programs or boot drive.

I never said it would make a good boot drive. The guy never said it was for a boot drive. He asked for a cheap 2TB drive and I linked one. You seem to be making a fuss over nothing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

that X4 630 is back to 180 euro from 56 :(

Got an email this morning. It's been shipped and is in Shannon airport Wohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

You can de-select Zen Engagement when ordering. At the final order screen, there should be a tick box below it. I ordered a 460 and removed the zen crap.

The number of times I have forgotten to remove it and had to cancel the order (which requires manual authorisation on their part) and re-order is just silly. They are very sneaky about it, which I don't like- it should be opt in, not opt out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's just for storing files so not bothered about performance.

deconduo wrote: »

That'll do nicely. Cheers.

Got an email this morning. It's been shipped and is in Shannon airport Wohoo!

Delivered to Tralee this afternoon. Shame I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Delivered to Tralee this afternoon. Shame I'm in Dublin.

Lol :D

My 460 was stuck in Cologne for 4 days, and is now apparently stuck in Dublin due to adverse weather conditions. Now, is it just me, or has nobody informed UPS that the weather is back to normal :rolleyes:

Lol :D

My 460 was stuck in Cologne for 4 days, and is now apparently stuck in Dublin due to adverse weather conditions. Now, is it just me, or has nobody informed UPS that the weather is back to normal :rolleyes:

Absolute total snap. Exactly the same as me!! Better arrive tomorrow morning or there'll be hell to pay!

Funny thing was, I checked the weather in Cologne, clear and bright :rolleyes: Then I looked out the window this morning and it was....:rolleyes:

I can only assume its the backlog, or, as per UPS' page, they're not delivering mon/tues/wed this week anyway. Dumbasses.

One of the busiest times of the year for courier company's and they decide to give their drivers 3 days off....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nice GTX460 offer on Pix at the moment, was looking at the link and noticed that Pix are selling Belkin DVI-D cables for €40 a pop :eek::eek::eek:

On that note, have any of you out there ever bought an affordable (i.e. <€20) DVI-D cable or are all the DVI users out there still stuck buying DVI-I cables (for about a quarter of the price!) and yanking the analogue pins out of one end? :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Never bought one. The only ones I use came free with the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Are DPD delivering tomorrow? Two different messages from OCUK one guy says 'you'll get your order early next week'.
    I reply angrily because they keep giving wrong information or none at all to me and another guy replies 'Was only collected yesterday (7 days after ordering) and should be with you Friday'.
    I don't think DPD are operating on the 31st!
    Of course DPD aren't responding at all. :(

Solitaire wrote: »
    Nice GTX460 offer on Pix at the moment,

The PNY GTX460 OC?

Mine arrived yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The PNY GTX460 OC?

Mine arrived yesterday :)

Was waiting to see did you get yours too! Mine arrived as well, I just won't be home until the 2nd to tear apart the computer again :D

Any chance of some benchmarks while I'm waiting? :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Never bought one. The only ones I use came free with the monitor.

Who gives free DVI cables with monitors??!?!? I only ever got VGA cabhles :eek::o:(

Solitaire wrote: »
    Who gives free DVI cables with monitors??!?!? I only ever got VGA cabhles :eek::o:(
    I got some with a Samsung a few years back.

Was waiting to see did you get yours too! Mine arrived as well, I just won't be home until the 2nd to tear apart the computer again :D

Any chance of some benchmarks while I'm waiting? :P

Well I've only done 3D Mark 11.

P3332

Bare in mind the CPU tests make a huge different in 3D Mark 11, so taking that into consideration, here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @3.5Ghz
    4GB DDR II @800
    PNY GTX 460OC @ 810 core, 1620 shaders, and 1025 Mem (4100 effective).

On Win 7 Ult x64 with 263.14 drivers.

If I had a faster CPU & Ram, the score would jump a fair bit, plus, there's a LOT more overclocking in this card. Seriously. It doesn't break a sweat at that OC.

Playing BC2 @ 19x10, everything maxed, 8xCSAA & 16x AF I get roughly 50-60FPS nearly constantly.

I'll do some more throughout the day, maybe 3D Mark Vantage & Unigine Heaven.

To keep info out of this thread (as its sort of OT), I've started a new discussion on the card

PNY GTX 460 OC

So head on over there for more results!

OK the 5850 made its way home from tralee and was installed tonight.

Time to fire up some games to see what sort of a bump I am getting.

.. also off to adverts with my 7950 GX2 - any suggestions on a reasonable asking price before I post it? - its the Dell OEM version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

OK the 5850 made its way home from tralee and was installed tonight.

Time to fire up some games to see what sort of a bump I am getting.

.. also off to adverts with my 7950 GX2 - any suggestions on a reasonable asking price before I post it? - its the Dell OEM version.

Probably the 30-40 euro mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

man saw it from our BA thread:
    Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) € 46,90 64% off the original price

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3708864...r3-1600-p.html

i remember i bought 2x2gb OCZ ram for the friend back in June at 110euro :O and they were ddr3-1333!!

i am pretty sure the price will be up again thats why i am so tempted to build myself a budget pc looking at the crazy cheap price of the ram atm!

Advertisement