Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I was really close to pulling the trigger on a predator when they launched but glad now I didn't. think I will keep my triple setup and just get a vive, has to be a better option for gaming than ultra wide and cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

cadete wrote: »
    I was really close to pulling the trigger on a predator when they launched but glad now I didn't. think I will keep my triple setup and just get a vive, has to be a better option for gaming than ultra wide and cheaper

As I always say it's very individual but I did the exact opposite. I had the rift and went 4K on the monitor and went back to the UW after a couple of weeks. I love mine - it's really immersive when gaming and brilliant for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

cadete wrote: »

I have an Ultrawide and a Vive - The Vive is being sold - definitely prefer to have the ultrawide over it - but everyone is different

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

For a Samsung or LG 34" ultra-wide 1440p monitor you're looking at nearly 800 euros or more.

So yea, huge price difference, but if you're going to do something wrong with your money, do it right.

At what price point does it become right to you? Gotta say your reasoning is fairly suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I suppose your opinion is gonna fall down to the price vs performance issue, how much outlay would one expect on a 34" 3440x1440?

For most people that ibood lg monitor would be more than acceptable, and at that price it's looking like a pretty good deal.

That's the thing. I would love proper 1440p wd, but it's price on top of hardware needed is way out of my range. I would be more then happy with that LG and 2560x1080 and my 1060 would do great job on it.
    On way or another I think that for gaming wd is the way to go. 2560x1080 is affordable way to go about it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

At what price point does it become right to you? Gotta say your reasoning is fairly suspect.

I try not to look at the potential product on it's own, I prefer to see the outlay as the price of an upgrade.

If the tool doesn't fit the job then I don't have a price point as such. A lot of it is personal preference but given UW monitors are trickling down in price and 1440p is becoming the new benchmark for gaming I can't justify spending 400 euro to upgrade my 1080p 16:9 monitor to a 21:9 version.

A monitor is arguably the most infrequent upgrade you make and as such that monitor is just not enough of an upgrade at the moment compared to what I already have. I'd much rather wait for a sale or natural price reduction for the 1440p version, sell off the 1080p monitor I have and look forward to years of a benchmark monitor setup instead of wanting to upgrade again in a year or two and spending the same again in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Thinking of pulling the trigger but getting caught for £24 pounds delivery.

Edit: probably meant to use Parcel Motel ya?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

at checkout change to dpd two day and delivery should be free

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Edit: probably meant to use Parcel Motel ya?
    Why not go for 1070?newer tech, bit faster, quiter, uses less power...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Redfox25

twinsen wrote: »
    Why not go for 1070?newer tech, bit faster, quiter, uses less power...

There is a plait 1070 for 20 quid less. A lot smarter buy really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that palit deal was only meant to last till 9am this morning, i bought one of them yesterday, already on it's way. give them a call and they might sort you out though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Not really though.

Core i5-****U paired with a lowly 940m

I doubt it could when run Star Wars Battlefront!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's actually not that bad at all! Have a friend using a 940m. It isn't a gaming chip, but it will get the job done if you can accept lower performance or stay way from the latest titles. Still way better than integrated graphics!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That is very damn good for the price. Perfect for games like wow, eve, mobas. It would even run bf4 amd bf1 with lower settings.
    Can't go wrong for that price. I was looking for something like this a year ago. Now I have no need though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't call that a serious gaming laptop. The 940M can run Battlefront at 1024x768 at 30-40fps, BF1 probably wouldn't run at all at any acceptable level. Battlefield 4 would be OK at 720P low-medium from experience using the 840M which is only about 10% slower.

I also ran Fallout 4 on it and it ran at 1280x800 lowest settings at 30-40fps.

It's ideal for stuff like CS GO, Overwatch, Warcraft, FIFA, some of the racing titles, in which case don't get me wrong, for the money it's reasonable and you definitely wouldn't get better. But if you're an AAA game player in terms of the latest FPS/action titles, it's no good.

That is very damn good for the price. Perfect for games like wow, eve, mobas. It would even run bf4 amd bf1 with lower settings.
    Can't go wrong for that price. I was looking for something like this a year ago. Now I have no need though.

The GPU is fine.

It's the CPU.
    i5-6200U
    The "U" series are low-power & utter bottlenecks; it's why I ended up building a PC in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, it's the opposite. The GT940M is a massive bottleneck to an i5-6200U. It would only become a bottleneck with a far more expensive performance card, probably a GTX965M or so, depending on the game possibly not even until GTX970M territory.

The GT940M just doesn't have the raw power required for the latest games. The i5-6200U is respectable enough and it's potential in a gaming setup way outstrips a GT940M. You could have an i7-6700HQ and a GT940 and you would still get 30-40fps in Battlefront at 1024x768 lowest settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The "U" series are low-power & utter bottlenecks;

Utter nonsense. iSeries U's are nothing like M series chips.

ED E wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. iSeries U's are nothing like M series chips.

I'm basing this on my Core i7-5500U being unable to run Melty Blood at 60fps :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Legend. Here's hoping it goes through!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Nice. Says temporarily out of stock. Reckon there's a catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ordered. Hope they honour that one! what a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

gotta be a massive price mistake, but I'm in for one...let's see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Awesome deal if honoured. Couldn't say no!

^Just got the email to confirm that it was indeed a pricing error, and the transaction won't be processed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Damn, was hoping some of you would have gotten an epic deal!

Ah well it was worth a try eh :/

• Advertisement

Definitely worth the try!

Advertisement