Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/dell-precision-t5400-workstation-with-10gb-of-fast-ram-2-x-intel-xeon-cpus-2-x-1tb-hdds-just-formatted-ati-hd5570-graphic-card-with-1gb-ram-fresh-windows-7-installed/13221095

What do people think of this? Looking for something to play civ 6, dabble the od time in other games and one day would like to try frontier elite though I presume this would need a new graphics card. Not really familiar with server CPU's but so far as I know its a plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Balmed Out wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/dell-precision-t5400-workstation-with-10gb-of-fast-ram-2-x-intel-xeon-cpus-2-x-1tb-hdds-just-formatted-ati-hd5570-graphic-card-with-1gb-ram-fresh-windows-7-installed/13221095

What do people think of this? Looking for something to play civ 6, dabble the od time in other games and one day would like to try frontier elite though I presume this would need a new graphics card. Not really familiar with server CPU's but so far as I know its a plus?

Fairly crap for €300 to be honest.

If you're in Cork something like this on a quick glance is literally 4x faster and far more upgradable for €350 and comes with a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Cheers, knew v old cpu's but thought all those cores would give it an edge for civ.

It's very old tech though, the CPU's are a decade old and the graphics card would have been very low end even about 7 years ago. Grand if you got it for €100 or so but no way at €300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Civ VI is a very demanding game to be honest, and if you go for the larger map mods even my i5 6600K/16GB RAM/GTX 970 can't handle it when overclocked. At those settings, it is literally the only game I have not been able to run on my system. That said on a G4560/1050TI budget build I also did it works very well on normal sized maps (though still highly demanding), you could put one together for about €420-450. I've done a sample build here, which also works great for demanding AAA titles like Witcher 3/GTA V/etc (50+ fps on high settings) - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qm7zr7 (hope the mods don't mind me mentioning, but if you have any interest in the case I accidentally bought a white one with an ITX motherboard recently so have it spare still in the original box etc. I have built with it before and as far as budget cases go it's very good, you can have it for €20 if you want, some quick pics of it here, here and here (for reference, the TV is 32")).

Would definitely avoid that PC for your needs/at that price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Just want to say a big thanks to Julez for the headsup on the Turtle Beach Impact 600 mechanical keyboard!

I was a day late so missed the deal for £34.99 but still only payed £49 including shipping to Ireland.

The brightness is much higher than my Parthica Membrane keyboard as you can see in the photo:, the parthica is actually illuminated!

421649.jpg

Its an absolute joy to type on, I'm delighted with it!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is a pretty good deal on a 1080Ti from Amazon given current prices - €700 delivered to Ireland when you factor in the added VAT.

Cheapest 1080ti on most other sites is closer to €800 delivered even for the cheapest models.

Use a Revolut card and parcel motel and it works out at only €659 or so.

Don't get me wrong it's still a 1080 TI at a great price, but are there not issues with the single fan ones from how hot that particular GPU runs? I've heard there are but that type of card is... well... a little out of my league. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Billy86 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong it's still a 1080 TI at a great price, but are there not issues with the single fan ones from how hot that particular GPU runs? I've heard there are but that type of card is... well... a little out of my league. :o

No issues really. Just if you go to overclock it, it's not going to be able to cool itself as good as an aftermarket one. Saying that, it IS a 1080Ti so it's not as if you really need to overclock it, yet at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    No issues really. Just if you go to overclock it, it's not going to be able to cool itself as good as an aftermarket one. Saying that, it IS a 1080Ti so it's not as if you really need to overclock it, yet at least.

I currently have a 1080ti FE and it overclocks just fine. got up to 2ghz+ and just under 12ghz on the ram. it is alot louder than your standard cooler though. but it doesnt really cause any issues for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

tazzzZ wrote: »
    I currently have a 1080ti FE and it overclocks just fine. got up to 2ghz+ and just under 12ghz on the ram. it is alot louder than your standard cooler though. but it doesnt really cause any issues for me.

Good to hear. Haven't tried it with mine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Doge wrote: »
    Just want to say a big thanks to Julez for the headsup on the Turtle Beach Impact 600 mechanical keyboard!

I was a day late so missed the deal for £34.99 but still only payed £49 including shipping to Ireland.

The brightness is much higher than my Parthica Membrane keyboard as you can see in the photo:, the parthica is actually illuminated!

421649.jpg

Its an absolute joy to type on, I'm delighted with it!

Just saw this post now! You're very welcome. I managed to get it at £35 (+€4 for parcel motel), a great bargain. I had a Logitech G510s, and this keyboard is so much better, the satisfying mechanical click is like music to my ears, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

If anyone spots any 'bargains' on 1080ti's (with reference/blower coolers), please post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inviere wrote: »
    If anyone spots any 'bargains' on 1080ti's (with reference/blower coolers), please post :o

What's bargain?
    They seem to be hovering around €760-780 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What's bargain?
    They seem to be hovering around €760-780 right now.

Amazon had them at €700 delivered there recently

Inviere wrote: »
    Amazon had them at €700 delivered there recently

I got mine for €680, still no sign of a dispatch though.....

Starting to think it was a particularly superb deal because Vega is shaping up to be a bit of a flop and more in the GTX1070/1080 territory - which means 1080ti and Titan prices are unlikely to be very affected either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I got mine for €680, still no sign of a dispatch though.....

Starting to think it was a particularly superb deal because Vega is shaping up to be a bit of a flop and more in the GTX1070/1080 territory - which means 1080ti and Titan prices are unlikely to be very affected either way.

Based on what? Nobody has an RX Vega yet of any kind. I do find it strange AMD aren't hyping this launch much. Maybe they really messed this up but it's hard to see Vega not having at least double the performance of an RX480/580.

It has almost double the amount of stream processors, (4096 vs 2304), much higher clock speeds, (1600 vs 1300 stock) and much faster HBM2 memory. That would put it well ahead of even good after market 1080's if it performs at least the same as Polaris clock for clock.

I really don't understand what's going on with the power consumption and performance of that Vega FE. Especially with all the delays this card has had. Any driver issues should have been sorted by now but AMD never seem to get their drivers up to scratch at launch. This is a workstation card though.

It would have to be the most monumental screw up to release a heavily delayed architecture with worse performance clock for clock and core for core than the previous one. Maybe they poured all their resources into Ryzen and Vega has suffered for it. We'll find out soon enough.

The fact that AMD are so absurdly quiet and not hyping it up - at all - is a major cause for concern.

And then that thing at the AMD event in Budapest - hiding both machines, even the monitor branding, and just stating that one is Vega, another is GTX1080 - even though one was clearly superior to the other according to those present - if that was Vega, why wouldn't they just say it?

I'd love to be wrong but everything seems so far to be pointing at Vega turning out to be a power guzzling disappointment. Obviously price is a major factor which we have yet to see.

Maybe AMD have something up their sleeve but I don't think so.

Linus did a good bit on it too, and was not exactly full of excitement on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nobody knows which card was which in that Budapest event though. AMD were touting that 1 of the systems would cost €300 less than the other. Obviously their system. That was taking the €200 price difference between a high end g-sync and free-sync monitor into account though. That means the Vega, probably the air cooled full version, will be around €100 less than the 1080 which makes sense as the rumoured price is €499.

Surely the 1080 was the worse performing card as well. The RX 580 destroys the 1060 in BF1. Even if Vega was only 50% faster than an RX580 it would still beat a 1080 in BF1 unless the architectural differences made it worse than Polaris in that game. If that was true why would they chose BF1 as a benchmark though.

AMD's marketing for this has been awful though. The FE has done nothing but generate bad press and should not have been released until the gaming cards were ready. This Budapest event was handled terribly with the secrecy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

The fact that AMD are so absurdly quiet and not hyping it up - at all - is a major cause for concern.

And then that thing at the AMD event in Budapest - hiding both machines, even the monitor branding, and just stating that one is Vega, another is GTX1080 - even though one was clearly superior to the other according to those present - if that was Vega, why wouldn't they just say it?

I'd love to be wrong but everything seems so far to be pointing at Vega turning out to be a power guzzling disappointment. Obviously price is a major factor which we have yet to see.

Maybe AMD have something up their sleeve but I don't think so.

I honestly think in terms of raw power Radeon will never catch up. Nvidia as much as I dislike them as a company, there producing faster cards. It's a Shame as consumers we do need competition, I really wanted to see Vega bust Nvidia But I don't see it happening.

I'm moving to Nvidia not out of choice id support Radeon quicker than Nvidia but I want power and Nvidia can supply that.

I've never felt so disappointed about buying a gpu :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone selling an Oculus rift? Pm me please

You can buy a new one from Occulus or Amazon for well below the usual price at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

New record i think!

Marked as sold at around 17:30 for €300

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-gaming-pc/13774582

Up for sale again at 20:45 for €599

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/gaming-computer-setup/13784911

I put an offer in at €300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Seems fair to me, half arsed ad with below market value ask price, buyer saw an opportunity and took it, lot of work went into his advert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

KilOit wrote: »
    Seems fair to me, half arsed ad with below market value ask price, buyer saw an opportunity and took it, lot of work went into his advert

Some lies too. 3570K doesn't have 8 threads and I'm pretty sure the 7979 doesn't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

KilOit wrote: »

Indeed - just like a tout for the match at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lu Tze wrote: »
    New record i think!

Marked as sold at around 17:30 for €300

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-gaming-pc/13774582

Up for sale again at 20:45 for €599

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/gaming-computer-setup/13784911

I put an offer in at €300
    Is using 2 accounts considered against TOS on Adverts?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is using 2 accounts considered against TOS on Adverts?

I think the guy with the second (current) ad bought it from the first for €300, and immediately after taking it home put it back up for sale at double the cost.

I decided it was only fair to give them the benefit of the doubt and ask on the ad.

Even at 500 that's very good value. 300 would have been a total steal.

Seems a bit odd though - would the buyer really have taken every single box off the buyer?

Don't think comparing it to touts is very fair - seller was happy to sell far below value at 300, new buyer will be happy to buy for 500 and would still be getting a solid deal, it's fairly harmless and no-one's getting ripped off or conned.

Re-selling is fine by me as long as no-ones being taken advantaged of or made a fool of, eg. some dickwad getting something for free and then selling it on...or getting something on the basis of making a poor plea and then selling it on for a higher price - etc.

That does happen and it's pretty scummy - someone here actually gave away a free HD7870 or similar a while back looking to help out a struggling gamer and the guy that took it threw it up on adverts about 30 minutes later and had it sold for €75.

Not the case here so I don't think it's that remarkable really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

Agree with above
    You get something for free as a goodwill gesture then pass it on if you don't need it.
    But I'd have done the same as the buyer and resell....however definitely not as fast
    Thats some turnaround

Advertisement