Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Even at 500 that's very good value. 300 would have been a total steal.

Seems a bit odd though - would the buyer really have taken every single box off the buyer?

Don't think comparing it to touts is very fair - seller was happy to sell far below value at 300, new buyer will be happy to buy for 500 and would still be getting a solid deal, it's fairly harmless and no-one's getting ripped off or conned.

Re-selling is fine by me as long as no-ones being taken advantaged of or made a fool of, eg. some dickwad getting something for free and then selling it on...or getting something on the basis of making a poor plea and then selling it on for a higher price - etc.

That does happen and it's pretty scummy - someone here actually gave away a free HD7870 or similar a while back looking to help out a struggling gamer and the guy that took it threw it up on adverts about 30 minutes later and had it sold for €75.

Not the case here so I don't think it's that remarkable really.

I don't get this, somebody gives away a graphics card (€75 discount) and the guy sells it on for profit which not on, versus somebody undervalues his kit by (€200 discount), and the buyer sells on for profit, which is fine!

I compared to touts as they provide no additional value to to item, they buy up tickets at retail price, creating a shortage in supply, and then sell on at a profit, exploiting the supply shortage they helped create.

While the seller undervalued the item, it will be sold on again at a ~€200 profit, while providing no additional value to the item. The person who buys it, could have bought off the original seller, but just like the tout the supply shortage was created by the person buying to resell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Touting rips people off by forcing them to pay far above market value.

What they guy is doing is re-selling an item he bought for far, far below market value, at actual market value - nobody is being ripped of or taken advantage of and everyone is happy, including both sellers and both buyers in the saga.

You cannot say the same of touting, in which people are essentially forced to pay far above market value and are unhappy to do so, but do so anyway - some people defend touting as market economics but personally for me it's fairly indefensible and just morally low.

The difference between the guy who gave away a graphics card is that he gave it away on the basis that he was hoping it would go to a good home in need of a better graphics card - guy who takes it subsequently sells it on immediately, that's just low and exploits a kindness.

Whereas if someone sold a HD7870 for €20 and the buyer sold it on for €60, I wouldn't see any issue with that - the buyer was happy to sell for his under-valued price, new buyer will be happy to buy for the increased (but still normal market) price.

I think equating it with touting is way off the mark.

Touting rips people off by forcing them to pay far above market value.

What they guy is doing is re-selling an item he bought for far, far below market value, at actual market value - nobody is being ripped of or taken advantage of and everyone is happy, including both sellers and both buyers in the saga.

You cannot say the same of touting, in which people are essentially forced to pay far above market value and are unhappy to do so, but do so anyway - some people defend touting as market economics but personally for me it's fairly indefensible and just morally low.

The difference between the guy who gave away a graphics card is that he gave it away on the basis that he was hoping it would go to a good home in need of a better graphics card - guy who takes it subsequently sells it on immediately, that's just low and exploits a kindness.

Whereas if someone sold a HD7870 for €20 and the buyer sold it on for €60, I wouldn't see any issue with that - the buyer was happy to sell for his under-valued price, new buyer will be happy to buy for the increased (but still normal market) price.

I think equating it with touting is way off the mark.
    Is the tout not also selling at the market value? At the value the market places on it a couple of hours before throw in?

In both cases the tickets/computer were available at a lower price, were bought purely to resell at a profit. And both contributed to the lack of supply for a genuine buyer to purchase at the original price.

Regardless, its just my take on it. I'm not trying to change anybody else's opinion, and don't have time for a three page argument! It was a very good deal, I was a bit late to it, showed up on an alert. But was to busy to check email.

I would also have been selling on some parts of it, what I didn't transplant into other machines (weirdly have 3 socket 1155 PCs around the place).

That's what I would usually do also - strip out some of the good parts that don't really detract from the price you paid and then just sell it on again.

In that particular case - take out the 250GB SSD and replace with a 500GB HDD, take out 8GB of the 16GB ram, maybe keep the monitor, etc.

You'd still be selling a PC with a 3570K, 8GB, HD7950 with keyboard and mouse and some other bits and pieces for very close if not exactly what you paid for it, and still a pretty damn good deal for the buyer.

I have an excess of S1155 stuff lying around at this stage too. Tons of i5's, i3's and Pentiums. The problem is now it's actually cheaper and easier if you buy from the right place to buy full machines with the i5, 8GB, HDD, etc in a case than it is to have to source a case, psu, S1155 motherboard, etc seperately and then use one of the CPUs I have lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I don't get this, somebody gives away a graphics card (€75 discount) and the guy sells it on for profit which not on, versus somebody undervalues his kit by (€200 discount), and the buyer sells on for profit, which is fine!

I compared to touts as they provide no additional value to to item, they buy up tickets at retail price, creating a shortage in supply, and then sell on at a profit, exploiting the supply shortage they helped create.

While the seller undervalued the item, it will be sold on again at a ~€200 profit, while providing no additional value to the item. The person who buys it, could have bought off the original seller, but just like the tout the supply shortage was created by the person buying to resell.

The key difference with the first part is the guy used underhand tactics to obtain the graphics card, then sold it. Very sneaky behaviour. This second guy has done nothing wrong really but seen something being sold too cheaply and spotted a chance to make a few pound. Classic wheeler dealer behaviour and the reason sites like adverts and donedeal work.

Touting doesn't really apply when it's a one off item. He isn't buying up multiples he never intends to use for the sole purpose of ripping off the public. Very different imo.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The key difference with the first part is the guy used underhand tactics to obtain the graphics card, then sold it. Very sneaky behaviour. This second guy has done nothing wrong really but seen something being sold too cheaply and spotted a chance to make a few pound. Classic wheeler dealer behaviour and the reason sites like adverts and donedeal work.

Touting doesn't really apply when it's a one off item. He isn't buying up multiples he never intends to use for the sole purpose of ripping off the public. Very different imo.

Its an odd one really, I guess I only use adverts if I am looking for something for myself. Wouldn't think there would be may sitting adverts waiting for a bargain to come up that they can resell immediately. The only reason I spotted both listings was that I had an alert set up for z77. Thought it was odd when the second one showed up in the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it's like someone going through the crates in a record shop looking every one up on discogs and buying out all the good stuff and selling it for a profit. This means you or I who want to go in for a browse just see shit

(by **** I mean: go on to adverts or ebay or whatever now and all you can see is dreamers or people who have 1000 alerts set up and they turn over anything they can for a profit)

Wouldn't it be better if I could buy something for the money the owner is happy with for a price I am happy with, instead of the owner getting shafted and me having to pay a marked up price.

If someone wants to do arbitrage then they pay all the associated costs with running a business

I don't think that's low behavior though, it's just, as someone mentioned above, the classic 'wheeler dealer' way of making money. There's still a big difference between that and actual touting, which relies on immediately snapping up quantities of extremely limited and highly sought items in order to extract enormous profits from immediate re-selling.

Spending time freely browsing a record store and hundreds of available items for anyone to purchase at any time and checking against prices elsewhere is not exactly snapping up a precious commodity! People do it all the time, be it with cars, records, games, DVDs, whatever. You might have even done it yourself on occasion - buy a game in Argos for €30 that CEX offer €40 credit for, is an example that springs to mind that you see a lot on boards.

I mean for example right now on CEX I can think of about 20 items that you could buy there and re-sell on adverts for more than they cost to buy from CEX with two year warranty. Some of them have been there for months in stock, so it's not like the entrepreneur in question would be depriving the masses of a prize. It's just an example.

Someone buying an item like that - be it electronics, cars, books, records, whatever - is making fairly honest money I think. Now with regards your last point, how 'honest' it is maybe depends on how honest they are with the taxman, but I think morally/ethnically it's fine and quite unfair to compare them to ticket touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Go on the motors forum in bangernomics etc the next time a genuine 1 owner car goes for sale cheap and watch everyone lose their mind when it's relisted a couple of hours/days later by a part time dealer for 2x the price

RossieMan wrote: »
    The link for Amazon us the 3gb version?

Edit: wait, do is the OPs.

Not a great price.
    No chat thread too, buts there isn't a chat thread?

Apologies, you are indeed correct! I found it thought skinflint, and filtered for 6gb memory or above!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looking to buy a GTX1080 , before i scour the usual sites are there any deals going ?
    I read over on ocuk forums that now is a bad time to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Dcully wrote: »
    Looking to buy a GTX1080 , before i scour the usual sites are there any deals going ?
    I read over on ocuk forums that now is a bad time to buy?

I'm also keeping an eye on 1080 and 1080Ti prices, pretty much in the same boat as you.

Basically mining has kept prices higher than expected. Deals crop up every now and again but nothing miraculous. 1080's for £420-460 being the better end of the scale, but often the worst of the non-blower cards (Zotac mini being noisy AF, inadequate cooling, etc)

Keep an eye on HUKD.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/msi-gtx-1080-46836-at-amazon-global-store-2875631

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And Geizhals if you don't mind ordering from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

And Geizhals if you don't mind ordering from Germany.

geizhals.eu or skinflint.co.uk are the same site but in English, either of the three versions will allow comparisons of UK, German, Polish and Austrian sites simultaneously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Slightly off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread

New build incoming, I used ot use hardwareversand but just seen that they were in trouble so looking for another online pc part shop.

What do ye all use for the best prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Slightly off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread

New build incoming, I used ot use hardwareversand but just seen that they were in trouble so looking for another online pc part shop.

What do ye all use for the best prices?

Germany have the best prices overall plus they also use euros but afaik none of them ship to Ireland anymore. I'd say you will have to shop in UK which for most items is not very competitive price wise. The best way to get the best price is buying from different locations but that adds up on shipping etc.. and if you use a forwarding company as they charge per box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Germany have the best prices overall plus they also use euros but afaik none of them ship to Ireland anymore. I'd say you will have to shop in UK which for most items is not very competitive price wise. The best way to get the best price is buying from different locations but that adds up on shipping etc.. and if you use a forwarding company as they charge per box.

Yeah I have a build in my shopping cart on amazon, most are free shipping but then that will add up in parcel motel fees.

Working out about £920, id say i wont be able to do much better on price in the UK

http://amzn.eu/0QGBAO8

Billy86 wrote: »
    You can get a 1070 TI for about €50 more - https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-armor-8g-graphics-card/geforcegtx1070tiarmor8g.html#utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

PCPP is always great for checking those (though stock isn't always 100% accurate) - they've actually added Ireland recently, though it really just seems to be there for the purposes of seeing the price here, and then abroad, and laughing your ass off at the difference. :p
    Apologies for the inconvenience caused but deliveries to Ireland from the Novatech website have been suspended due to Irish VAT regulations.

Orders taken by phone are not affected and so if you need to place an order please call our sales team on 023 9232 2500 (Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm)

That price will go up when you call. As they'll have to set Irish VAT.

Also €50 is a lot of money especially as you are then "only" 50 or so away from a 1080 (at most times)

Never saw the 1070ti as a sensible SKU from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Huh, that sucks. I ordered off them early in the summer wihtout that applying, must be new.

Not sure why you quoted "only" €50 more when I never said "only" though - €50 is €50, to some that's a lot and to others it's a little. A 1080 by the looks of it is €85 more again than the above would have been without the VAT small print, and not €50 (so €135 up from the 1070, and if €50 is a lot of money to a potential buyer, then...)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=367&sort=price&page=1

Billy86 wrote: »
    Huh, that sucks. I ordered off them early in the summer wihtout that applying, must be new.

Not sure why you quoted "only" €50 more when I never said "only" though - €50 is €50, to some that's a lot and to others it's a little. A 1080 by the looks of it is €85 more again than the above would have been without the VAT small print, and not €50 (so €135 up from the 1070, and if €50 is a lot of money to a potential buyer, then...)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=367&sort=price&page=1

It's because your argument itself is flawed. Saying "just spend extra for X" is not the point of the thread, otherwise every post would end up with people saying just buy a 1080ti.
    A 1070ti is not worth the premium against going to a 1080. Current prices have the 1070 as a deal (out of stock now)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I can't say I get that - you're essentially saying a 1070 TI should be bought by nobody under any circumstances unless it's the same cost as a 1070 in that case. The scale of price vs output and what people want will change from one person to the next. If you're claiming €50 is a big difference, €135 would be absolutely huge - I am not making the point you are claiming about a 1080TI whatsoever, just like I was not saying it was "just" €50 more in the first place. You'll note I am not trying to claim you might as well recommend everyone buy a 460 2GB and be done with it.

Also, as things are on PCPP a 1070 TI is £420 vs a 1070 at £400... while a 1080 is £505. That's a very, very noticeable jump to the 1080. As for the VAT thing, what did not occur to me last night and possibly why I was not charged was because I used Parcel Motel; no VAT add on and the full delivery covered for €3.95.

1070 - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=369
    1070 TI - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=415
    1080 - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=367&sort=price&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I've an old Dell Micro Inspiron 3050 with a 32GB SSD I bought for €95 in 2015 when Dell were selling them off which I'd like to upgrade.

Anyone aware of or can recommend a good value Win 10 HTPC preferably with a small footprint and an SSD of at least 128GB?

This 64GB mini PC is the best I can find for under €200 but I'd pay a bit more if I could get a 128GB SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

An Intel NUC is probably the smallest thing you can get. They come in barebones and complete setups.

Depending on your use-case, I'm also really fond of my NVIDIA Shield. Fantastic little thing for playing PS1 games.

I'd get one of the i3 NUC's at least, great longevity in one of those. By getting cheap ones, you'll feel the need to upgrade quite regularly as their lack of power becomes quite apparent in a short space of time.

Anything like the NUC with an AMD processor out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not yet. Ryzen APUs are coming very shortly - should be around February - and when they launch we should see lots of offerings like that.

At the moment though, not really. Chiefly because Ryzen CPUs lack integrated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Serephucus wrote: »
    An Intel NUC is probably the smallest thing you can get. They come in barebones and complete setups.

Depending on your use-case, I'm also really fond of my NVIDIA Shield. Fantastic little thing for playing PS1 games.

Thanks Serephucus, I actually got a shield just before Xmas to replace a knackered Minix Neo X8-H and it's a serious yoke alright. I'm not getting the most out of it yet but as a media box it's very hard to beat.

I might actually review whether I need the benefits of Win 10 or not and just go with 2 X Shields.

Mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anything like the NUC with an AMD processor out there?

ZBOX E Series have AMD chip options, but they're bigger gaming units rather than the NUCs small productivity target.

While no doubt this is a bargain at the moment
    game4it70 wrote: »

It's a bit depressing that the third tier graphics cards in nvidias line up are a bargain at £440

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    While no doubt this is a bargain at the moment

It's a bit depressing that the third tier graphics cards in nvidias line up are a bargain at £440

That 1080 b-stock a post up from that didn't last 10 mimutes

Advertisement