Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The price of memory is keeping everything inflated. I bought this RAM kit for £89 in Dec 2015. Between mid 2016 and mid 2017 the price of memory more than doubled and has held. Between this and people hoovering up cards for bitcoin mining it's keeping prices ridiculous.

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Unfortunately RAM prices are controlled by a cartel essentially. No sign or prospect of the prices falling this year.

GPU's are starting to drop a bit, and I think by the end of the year they will be available at close to MSRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GTX1070 - £349 with free shipping.

So nice to see some reasonable prices again.

While good - the card is 2yrs old.
    I'm going to have to

image.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

And I'm going to have to spank you if you post like that in the BA thread again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

A small request - can we get "Please include price in post" added to the sticky? Sometimes when it is a link only it is unclear (especially with time limited deals) if the price is discounted or not. Thanks for all the bargains too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try reading the first point in the first post - it's already there. It has been there all along...
    a) In your post, include the website, the link, the date and the price quoted on the page - certain websites, particularly Dabs, change their prices regularly. If it a retail store, quote both the store and branch location, date and price. Also think about combining the item description and its link and putting prices in bold to keep things easy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I don't need to read it - I don't post bargains without prices. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Billy86 wrote: »

That price is excluding VAT so its actually £408.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

farna_boy wrote: »
    Not sure if this is really a bargain but one Vega 64 card is now at the £500 mark on overclockers:

RADEON RX VEGA 64 WINDFORCE OC (with free copy of Far Cry 5) for £499.99

There is also a Vega 56 at the £450 mark

RADEON RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8GB with free copy of Far Cry 5 for £449.99

They're selling GTX 1080s for £450 and GTX 1070TIs for £400 now so unless you really really want an AMD card, they're probably not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

L wrote: »
    They're selling GTX 1080s for £450 and GTX 1070TIs for £400 now so unless you really really want an AMD card, they're probably not worth it.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the 1080's in the hope they drop below €500.

I would imagine a few people still have Freesync monitors though who would be looking out for one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

L wrote: »

I've an RX480 4gb at the moment, thinking of upgrading to 1070ti or 1080 as i've my eye on a 27" 1440p monitor (likely g sync :P )..would the 1080 still be worth the extra punt despite the 1070ti being a newer card?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Shlippery wrote: »
    I've an RX480 4gb at the moment, thinking of upgrading to 1070ti or 1080 as i've my eye on a 27" 1440p monitor (likely g sync :P )..would the 1080 still be worth the extra punt despite the 1070ti being a newer card?

1080 > 1070ti in terms of outright performance but the bang-for-buck rests with the 1070ti and it will comfortably run 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Shlippery wrote: »

Completely up to you and your budget. A 1070, 1070Ti and 1080 will all run 1440p 144Hz perfect. The 1070(Ti) are better price/performance wise.

You'll also get away with your current card for a while if you want to save up. Lose features like GSync and might have to dial back some settings, but it's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Cheers both, just have a bit more money put aside than I did when I originally bought the RX480.

Looking to treat myself to a higher tier, odds are I'd still get a chunk of money for the RX480 too I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly if you're willing to get a GTX1070 and manually give it a decent overclock, there's not much between it and the 1070ti and it's a huge upgrade on the RX480.

I'd imagine you'd get €180-200 for a 4GB 480, and get a 1070 for about €400ish. I'd say it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

EVGA SuperNova G2 650W power supply (80+ gold, fully modular) for £73.09 (about €88) on Amazon, although you have to wait a few weeks for delivery (which is free if you have Prime).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

EVGA SuperNova G2 650W power supply (80+ gold, fully modular) for £73.09 (about €88) on Amazon, although you have to wait a few weeks for delivery (which is free if you have Prime).

You might get it quicker. I've bought stuff from Amazon that said the same and it was dispatched a few days later. I think 2-4 weeks is just an upper estimate.

I bought the G3 750W a few weeks and had to return it as it was faulty. Kept crashing the PC.
    It was only 77 sterling but gone back up to 112 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I bought the G3 750W a few weeks and had to return it as it was faulty. Kept crashing the PC.
    It was only 77 sterling but gone back up to 112 now.

The EVGA lineup (G1, G2, G3) are all based on different OEM platforms.

G1: FSP (Fortron-Source)
    G2: Superflower Leadex Gold
    G3: Superflower Leadex II Gold

That's really weird about your PSU though; it should be well built considering they give a 10yr warranty.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The EVGA lineup (G1, G2, G3) are all based on different OEM platforms.

G1: FSP (Fortron-Source)
    G2: Superflower Leadex Gold
    G3: Superflower Leadex II Gold

That's really weird about your PSU though; it should be well built considering they give a 10yr warranty.

No matter the QA/QC some will always slip through

• Advertisement

PSU's are the things that most come DOA for me. I'm not sure if it's they miss it in QA or it just takes a bang on the way and loosens a capacitor. Thankfully they come with long warranties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Need a new PSU and the selection from EVGA is mind boggling, I take it a superflower OEM unit is the way to go?

Lukker- wrote: »
    PSU's are the things that most come DOA for me. I'm not sure if it's they miss it in QA or it just takes a bang on the way and loosens a capacitor. Thankfully they come with long warranties too.

There actually was a big dent on the box when it arrived. It was in Amazon frustration free which just means no Amazon box. Maybe it got a bang and damaged it that way though it is fairly well packed inside it's own box. I love the black sleeved cabling on the higher end EVGA PSU's.

I have a Corsair RM750x on preorder now. 99 sterling on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B72D43N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

For what it's worth, Amazon are excellent on refunds I find. Paid for the return postage on mine about a year ago, and even processed the refund even though they never received the package back for some reason (I had sent them a photo of the post office receipt just to be safe).

There actually was a big dent on the box when it arrived. It was in Amazon frustration free which just means no Amazon box. Maybe it got a bang and damaged it that way though it is fairly well packed inside it's own box. I love the black sleeved cabling on the higher end EVGA PSU's.

I have a Corsair RM750x on preorder now. 99 sterling on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B72D43N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same PSU. All good except for the cables are very stiff so it makes cable management tough in tight areas.

Billy86 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Amazon are excellent on refunds I find. Paid for the return postage on mine about a year ago, and even processed the refund even though they never received the package back for some reason (I had sent them a photo of the post office receipt just to be safe).

Mine was delivered to PM so i got on chat and asked could i return it through An Post and there was no problem. Mailed me a return barcode straight away and i also was refunded two days later. Amazon really are a good place to buy goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not a huge saving but the coolers on these cards are supposed to be pretty good and quiet Palit GTX 1070 Gamerock £329 @ overclockers

They are. I had a pretty exhaustive look around at AIB 1070/1080s before I bought mine. About average performance-wise, but definitely the quietest of the lot (MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Zotac an EVGA were tested, if I remember right)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Yeah, that's what I thought. Actually I had one pre-ordered back before the mining lunacy when i got my 1070 but ended up with a zotac as they undercut them by £30 or so on a special offer back when i was buying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The 850 EVO 500GB might be down to £100 but the 860 EVO 500GB is down to £90: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E500B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WQT6S6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Is there a reason this wasn't linked?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd hold off until the 16th anyway. Prime Day sale is on then, usually a deal or two on SSDs that day.

Advertisement