Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

B Rabbit wrote: »
    Cheers K.O.Kiki. I've already picked up the cooler master 212 black edition cpu cooler.
    Went for the mobo as it has wifi and bluetooth.

You sure is has wifi, cant find it in the specs. Ive bought one and a wifi card. Be great ifi can cancel the wifi card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Irishder wrote: »
    You sure is has wifi, cant find it in the specs. Ive bought one and a wifi card. Be great ifi can cancel the wifi card

The Tomahawk does not have Wifi/Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

darconio wrote: »

Bought this for work, it's lovely. Little bit springy when it comes to noise, so might keep this one for home and use my old QPad in work which is a bit quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

I built a pc a few years ago for streaming plex around my house. I got lucky with HGST 3TB hard drives (1 as main drive for streaming) and the other as backup in case one of them died.

I need to upgrade and was thinking of Shucking a 8TB My Book - apparently they have white label WD drives in them - has anyone done this? Is it a good idea? They are on sale at Amazon at the minute. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've done it with a few Easystores (American version of Elements). Haven't done a My Book, but I'd imagine they're similar. It's just a few plastic clips to bend out of the way, though it can be tricky to not break them, if you're thinking of keeping the enclosure.

The only other thing is that some of them (and it varies depending on mobo/PSU/drive) will require the "3.3V pin mod", which amounts to putting a very small piece of tape over one of the pins on the SATA connector to allow the drive to be recognised correctly.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I've done it with a few Easystores (American version of Elements). Haven't done a My Book, but I'd imagine they're similar. It's just a few plastic clips to bend out of the way, though it can be tricky to not break them, if you're thinking of keeping the enclosure.

The only other thing is that some of them (and it varies depending on mobo/PSU/drive) will require the "3.3V pin mod", which amounts to putting a very small piece of tape over one of the pins on the SATA connector to allow the drive to be recognised correctly.

Thanks - the mod wouldn't be a problem and I'm not bothered about the enclosure - I'm just wondering if the drive is 7200? Thanks

They're almost always 5400RPM drives.

They're almost always 5400RPM drives.

I read the 8TB MyBook is a white label red drive - just wondering if that means it’s 7200?

Nope. Red drives are 5400.

Okay so is 5400 a problem if I only send plex to that drive to steam movies?

• Advertisement

Not all all. They're 8TB drives, so platter density helps you out. You're still looking at ~200MB/s sustained. That's probably 50+ times more than you need for Plex. You're good. :)

Not all all. They're 8TB drives, so platter density helps you out. You're still looking at ~200MB/s sustained. That's probably 50+ times more than you need for Plex. You're good. :)

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Anyone in Dundrum/Tallaght or between areas have any water cooling fittings for sale. Need a 90 degree angle, any brand will do, it's just to add a drain port with a little easier access. so if anyone has one.

Let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F7ZBFHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got two of these and are very good to work with. Might be useful to someone

Heads up for anyone buying this, even now.

The CPU comes seated on the MB: Which would be great if they benched it before shipping.

The MB BIOS has not been flashed to new gen Ryzen so will not read the CPU.
    The board has an inbuild BIOS flash via USB, which is handy. You will have to take the CPU out to flash it.

Download the BIOS from
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

Extract the BIOS file, rename it to MSI.BIOS
    Format a USB drive and set to FAT32, do not use anything bigger than an 8GB drive as the board will struggle to read that in the BIOS flashing setup.

With only the board power hooked up (No CPU, RAM, SSD, case, etc)
    1: Insert drive into the "BIOS Flash" slot.
    2: Press the BIOS Flash button
    3: Wait 5 seconds and see if the board powers us and a red LED starts blinking next to the Flash button.
    4: Should take at least 5 minutes and then the light will stop blinking. My board did NOT power down no matter how long I waited so I shut it down after a while (at your own risk here)
    5: The flash installed the drivers for my 1080 so assume it contains the drivers for modern cards at least

6: Sweet sweet performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you sure you got the right board from them? The whole point of the Tomahawk Max vs the non-max is that it is ryzen 3 ready out of the box. All max motherboards are ready to go, it's not really possible for it to "not have been updated" if you get me as their very first bios supported all ryzen 3 cpus.

Maybe you got a non-max tomahawk from them by mistake or that was just some bizarre anomoly? But any msi max board should be 'out of the box' compatiable with Ryzen 3, that is their purpose vs non-max boards. It would be like getting a z390 board and it not supporting 9th gen Intel, it would have to be a wrong board or else some some of strange fault.

Homelander wrote: »
    Are you sure you got the right board from them? The whole point of the Tomahawk Max vs the non-max is that it is ryzen 3 ready out of the box. All max motherboards are ready to go, it's not really possible for it to "not have been updated" if you get me as their very first bios supported all ryzen 3 cpus.

Maybe you got a non-max tomahawk from them by mistake or that was just some bizarre anomoly? But any msi max board should be 'out of the box' compatiable with Ryzen 3, that is their purpose vs non-max boards. It would be like getting a z390 board and it not supporting 9th gen Intel, it would have to be a wrong board or else some some of strange fault.

It's a max alright and views of the msi fora, reddit, Tom's, ect showed several threads of the same issue with a 3600 throwing an EZ Debug CPU LED and no display at all, until the BIOS was flashed

Edit: When I get home I'll unseat the GPU and take a look, you've got me doubting myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just need to say that the AMD Wraith Max (£12.95 on OCUK) is a damn fine cooler as long as you stop it from running at 100%.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Just need to say that the AMD Wraith Max (£12.95 on OCUK) is a damn fine cooler as long as you stop it from running at 100%.

Got the handy seating clips too

It's a max alright and views of the msi fora, reddit, Tom's, ect showed several threads of the same issue with a 3600 throwing an EZ Debug CPU LED and no display at all, until the BIOS was flashed

Edit: When I get home I'll unseat the GPU and take a look, you've got me doubting myself now

Yup B450 Max. Supposed to be ready for the 3600 but I, with many others, seem to have to flash the BIOS to get any post or diplay signal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yup B450 Max. Supposed to be ready for the 3600 but I, with many others, seem to have to flash the BIOS to get any post or diplay signal

Very unusual, I have the tomohawk max and even the front of the box states its gen 3 ready straight put of the box. I didn't have any issues with mine.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Very unusual, I have the tomohawk max and even the front of the box states its gen 3 ready straight put of the box. I didn't have any issues with mine.

Yeah mine said the same, works perfectly now at least

498560.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

To say MSI's Ryzen 3000 readiness was a shambles would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah, releasing a specific board refresh to address the situation with a guaranteed 'works out of the box' experience....only to find it does not work out of the box. Cannot understand how that could happen. I would be livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Yeah, releasing a specific board refresh to address the situation with a guaranteed 'works out of the box' experience....only to find it does not work out of the box. Cannot understand how that could happen. I would be livid.

I wouldnt be surprised that maybe some rev were just repacked B450 which they forgot to flash. Google shows many similar threads.

It's taught me to bench the MB before seating CPU, RAM, GPU, drives and case now at least.

.G. wrote: »
    To say MSI's Ryzen 3000 readiness was a shambles would be an understatement.

Did AMD change somethings last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I blame MSI. All you have to do is search the internet or even on boards.ie to see all the problems people with bios issues on MSI. I think it is mostly B450 never really looked to see if MSI's X570 have issues.

I have a Gigabyte X570 with 3700X and have had no issues except one time my bios reset but that was due to me installing a second really old GPU and booting from it by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

AMD had their own launch issues that took a few weeks to iron out but the CPU's still worked on most manufacturers boards with their first BIOS revisions they released. MSI were woefully under prepared for the amount of people choosing MSI boards. They chose them because very few, if any, B450 boards from other manufacturers offered BIOS flashback but MSI's did so an awful lot of people bought those boards as a result. Wouldn't have been an issue if their first revision BIOS updates worked but they didn't for a large amount of people and because they had so many board variants on the market they couldn't keep up with the demand for BIOS updates that actually worked and imo they still haven't got on top of it. The boards and CPU's work now but if mine is anything to go by they are far from stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I blame MSI. All you have to do is search the internet or even on boards.ie to see all the problems people with bios issues on MSI. I think it is mostly B450 never really looked to see if MSI's X570 have issues.

I have a Gigabyte X570 with 3700X and have had no issues except one time my bios reset but that was due to me installing a second really old GPU and booting from it by accident.

Can absolutely confirm having trawled the corners of the web on these issues, there is a lot of issues with MSI boards

My Dad and myself both got Tomahawk Max boards, had different issues but in the end we got there and sorted everything out but there was a lot of messing and frustration.

There are some pretty active reddit threads where in fairness MSI reps are participating but there is a lot of people screaming for new bios stuff. Again in fairness to MSI there is new beta packs dropping all the time but yeah as maybe mentioned above they just got totally caught on the hop

Advertisement