Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

You could go for a 90GB or 120GB SSD for cheaper than iBood's 180GB drive.
    oh i know yea, but iboods 180gb SSD was much better price per gb than any deal ive come across. ive got my eye on the corsair force 120gb, which is slowly dropping in price on amazon, now at £176.90, already 40p down since yesterday.

when are the next gen SSD's rumored to be coming out AC?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    oh i know yea, but iboods 180gb SSD was much better price per gb than any deal ive come across. ive got my eye on the corsair force 120gb, which is slowly dropping in price on amazon, now at £176.90, already 40p down since yesterday.

when are the next gen SSD's rumored to be coming out AC?

No idea but do they really offer all that much. The current gen are stupid fast, are great performance wise and have trim support. Performance wise I doubt you'd notice any difference between a current gen and next gen drive. The main thing I'm hoping for from a next gen drive is lower cost.

No idea but do they really offer all that much. The current gen are stupid fast, are great performance wise and have trim support. Performance wise I doubt you'd notice any difference between a current gen and next gen drive. The main thing I'm hoping for from a next gen drive is lower cost.
    yea i was reading up on some stuff and it rekoned that the next gen would have 500mbps read speeds and ~350mbps write. on paper, much faster, but in the real world im not sure id notice a difference from current gen.

Price and size though are big factors. worth the wait for a possible ~250gb in the rough same price range as current gen 120gb? or are my expectations too high?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

yea i was reading up on some stuff and it rekoned that the next gen would have 500mbps read speeds and ~350mbps write. on paper, much faster, but in the real world im not sure id notice a difference from current gen.
    Sounds good but how often do you do large writes like that especially on an SSD that will likely not have any large media files on it.
    Price and size though are big factors. worth the wait for a possible ~250gb in the rough same price range as current gen 120gb? or are my expectations too high?

If I remember right the original vertex drives were over €300 so it's certainly a possibility.

aarg this SSD stuff is wrecking my head. i only have 2 more planned upgrades to my PC, a 23-24" screen and an SSD. but i cant hit the make me broke button cause im so tight on cash right now id regret it if i could get twice the SSD in a month or 2..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

but i cant hit the make me broke button cause im so tight on cash right now id regret it if i could get twice the SSD in a month or 2..

Hold off for a few months then!
    I'm in the same boat... I'm definitely interested in getting a SSD, but just can't justify spending that kind of money right now when better performing, higher capacity drives are just around the corner (and I'll have the cash to spare by then!)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Just checking this bargain alert
    Moon54 wrote: »
    I've been watching Amazon and noticed the Samsumg 2TB F4 Ecogreen drive has dropped about €12 down to about €74 incl postage with super saver delivery!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-EcoGreen-5400RPM-SATA-II-Internal/dp/B0042SGDVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297702644&sr=8-2

I would be very cautious before buying these drives

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056160744

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

I heard next generation ssd's are using cheaper, larger chips which make them cheaper, but last less through use.

Is the f4 good enough though?
    I was planning to get an f3(why i'm here) but the f4 is the same price double the space.
    I heard it was as fast as the f1, but I have this sentiment left over from the late 90's that I shouldn't get a <7,200 rpm drive.
    Even at 5400, is it fast enough to not really notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The F4EG is a fairly decent drive, especially for the price. A good choice for long term storage, or maybe a low powered server. For a primary OS drive, you should aim for faster drives, such as the F3.

5400RPM vs 7200RPM often doesn't have the significance that you'd think.

Thanks for the input mono.
    Yeah, general opinions I've gotten indicated space>speed where these two drives are concerned.

I have an SSD for my OS.
    I got the prices wrong though, there's a 20 euro gap.
    Still worth it?

• Advertisement

If you already have an SSD for OS, you shouldn't be too worried. Maybe partition off the fastest part if you plan to install games and throw music/videos onto the rest.

samsungf42tbhdtune3.png

I'll put my games on my f1 or f3, movies on the f4 is what I decided.
    Thanks.

I needed space for portal 2.

I did pretty much the same thing
    Boot and music* on my F3, games on my F1 and large stuff (movies, isos) on my F4 (which I love to bits! Would definitely recommend them!)
    My trusty old F1 will be going in an external enclosure as a backup drive whenever I get my SSD

On the previous page someone advises against F4s, I wouldn't agree with that at all. The only downside is that if they have a manufacture date of pre-dec 2010, you'll have to update the firmware. Amazon ran out of stock recently, so it's a safe bet that the ones they're selling now will be recently made models...

* would make more sense to chuck my music on the F4 too, but I access it too frequently so prefer to have it on a drive that doesn't have to spin up all the time...

tman wrote: »
    On the previous page someone advises against F4s, I wouldn't agree with that at all. The only downside is that if they have a manufacture date of pre-dec 2010, you'll have to update the firmware. Amazon ran out of stock recently, so it's a safe bet that the ones they're selling now will be recently made models...

The warning was more regarding amazon packaging rather than the drive itself.
    That said I would gladly spend an extra 6 pounds and get this Barracuda Sata 6GB instead

SATA3 doesn't give mechanical drives that much of a boost.
    I doubt they're even reaching SATA2's top speed.

darconio wrote: »
    The warning was more regarding amazon packaging rather than the drive itself.
    That said I would gladly spend an extra 6 pounds and get this Barracuda Sata 6GB instead

You said you'd be cautious about buying that particular drive, though:confused:
    Whatever drive you buy from Amazon would have come in the same crap packaging (which has thankfully been sorted out recently)

tman wrote: »
    You said you'd be cautious about buying that particular drive, though:confused:
    Whatever drive you buy from Amazon would have come in the same crap packaging (which has thankfully been sorted out recently)

My warning was referred to the bargain alert.
    E.G. Bargain alert for the Samsumg 2TB F4 = warning about possible poor packaging as reported in that boards.ie topic

I bought drives from amazon last december and they were wrapped properly: could be because of the big freeze? ;)

Ah yeah, I'm well aware of the packaging issue (mine was shagged on arrival thanks to it!)

It was just your wording of "I would be very cautious before buying these drives" made it sound more like an attack on a fantastic drive, when it was clearly Amazon themselves who were at fault

Reckon it was more to do with them trying to cut as many costs as possible by simplifying packaging, they seemed to cop on pretty quickly when the return rate of hard drives went through the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Had to post this in here too - posted it in BA

Bargain of the century!!!!!

PNY GTX480 €159.92
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5310845/art/pny/geforce-gtx-480-1536-mb-g.html

Holy shiznit!

Actually, only in the list is it at that price, when you click on it its €539 :(:(:(

150739.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Had to post this in here too - posted it in BA

Bargain of the century!!!!!

PNY GTX480 €159.92
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5310845/art/pny/geforce-gtx-480-1536-mb-g.html

Holy shiznit!

Says 538 here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Coming up as over 500 euro for me :(

You gave me a damn heart attack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Coming up as over 500 euro for me :(

You gave me a damn heart attack

Check the image I posted :(

Pix's prices are all over the place at the minute. Numerous HD5850's for less than 170 too - but when you click on them they're over 250 grr....

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

hey guys,

just to let ya no i ordered the stock radeon 6850 on Sunday and it arrived to day and they sent me the sapphire one with the better cooler that dublin gunner linked :D its a great service!!! now to fire it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

poggy wrote: »
    they sent me the sapphire one with the better cooler that dublin gamer linked :D

Who linked that diamond one, piggy? ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Okay, we can all go home now, savemejebus just won the BA thread :pac:

Seriously though... a few months ago it was hard to get a HD5750 512MB for less than that :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Solitaire wrote: »
    Okay, we can all go home now, savemejebus just won the BA thread :pac:

Seriously though... a few months ago it was hard to get a HD5750 512MB for less than that :eek:

And I raised that with the same link at a tenner cheaper. Or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

dammit! why'd i buy it last nite :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Can I make an official announcement?

this_is_madness.jpg
    THIS IS MADNESS!!

Either Pix has a ghost in the machine or they're waaaaaaaaay too late with their April Fools :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Well, i read that AMD gave sapphire the last of their stocks of 5850s and Sapphire selling them off as the 5850 xtreme, but feck, 109, that's messed up.

Having said that I saw a thread on OCUK that had a few people complaining of DOA cards :( so now i'm a bit worried.

• Advertisement

That's sooo cheap. Are we expecting a 7xxx series that I don't know about?
    I could do with a new card but I would have no chance to use it for a couple of months. :( The 6850/6870s are dropping quite fast these days so hopefully I can get something when I need it.

It gives a whole new meaning to budget build and really puts the power of current consoles to shame now.

Advertisement