Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I assign space from e: drive to c: drive?

• 26-02-2010 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I have a c: drive with 10gb of mem that is taken up mostly by programmes. I am constantly getting a warning that my disk space is critically low and I should remove programmes.

I have an e: drive with 65gb free and an external drive with 500gb.

Can anyone tell me how to solve my problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

thegen wrote: »
    I have a c: drive with 10gb of mem that is taken up mostly by programmes. I am constantly getting a warning that my disk space is critically low and I should remove programmes.

I have an e: drive with 65gb free and an external drive with 500gb.

Can anyone tell me how to solve my problem?

An easy way would be uninstall some of your programmes and then reinstall them onto the E drive. When installing any future programmes install them also to the E drive. Leaving the C drive mainly for the operating system and swap files etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You can re partition but make sure you don't get a power cut mid way. Gparted is quite good. Back up first though.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    You can re partition but make sure you don't get a power cut mid way. Gparted is quite good. Back up first though.

You can only do that if Drive C and Drive E are partitions on the one drive and not 2 separate hard drives. What operating system are you using?

But are they not on the same physical drive, ignoring the 500GB extern

Webmonkey wrote: »
    But are they not on the same physical drive, ignoring the 500GB extern
    They could be or the pc could have 2 internal hard drives, when we know what operating system they are using can show them how to find out

• Advertisement

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    They could be or the pc could have 2 internal hard drives, when we know what operating system they are using can show them how to find out
    Yeah we must wait and see whats the setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Yes they are the one drive partioned.

I'd go with Gparted so. 10GB on C is very little

Yeah just use a tool to resize the partitions, have never used Gparted but trust webmonkey as he has :)

Yeah just use a tool to resize the partitions, have never used Gparted but trust webmonkey as he has :)
    I have, it's actually great. Boot CD and all. - But make sure you know what you doing OP.

• Advertisement

Cheers, i would not be sure of what i was doing. Is gparted a download or a purchase in a shop?

thegen wrote: »
    Cheers, i would not be sure of what i was doing. Is gparted a download or a purchase in a shop?
    You can download it free.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/

you need to boot the CD then after writing ISO. Back up data first though just in case.

If you are unhappy doing it then, uninstall few programs and install them to the other partition as mentioned above. However, I do think you will keep running into difficulty having only 10GB on C.

Your hard drive in general is tiny!

Cheers, Thanks for all your help.

TheGEN

• Registered Users Posts: 6 robissimo

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, it is possible to shrink the E: drive and then extend the C: drive. This can be done in the Disk Management section of the Computer Management administrative tool by right-clicking each drive and selecting the relevent option.

If you are not running either Vista or Windows 7, you will have to either clear some space on your C: drive, invest in a 3rd party tool, such as the one mentioned above, Gparted.

However, a quick-fix could be available. Most Windows operating systems keep quite a large file on the C: called the pagefile. Depending on how much RAM you have in your system, this can be a very large file, even more than 1GB. You can move this to the E: drive, I would not move it to your external storage unit.

To move the pagefile:
    • Access the "System" properties, either in the control panel or by right-clicking the My Computer icon and selecting Properties.
    • In the new window that appears, click the Advanced tab (in Vista you will need to first click the "Advanced System Settings" link on the menu to the left).
    • Next, click on "Settings" under the "Performance" section.
    • A new dialogue window will appear. Click the "Advanced" tab.
    • Highlight the C: drive, select the "Custom size" radio button and put 0 in each box, as shown below.
    pagefile.jpg
    • Then click on the "set" button
    • You will see a message similar to the one below.
      pagefile2.jpg
      Click, "Yes" or "Ok", depending on your Windows version.
    • Then, you will need to select your E: drive and select the "Custom size" radio button and put 4096 in each box, as shown below. (If you are running a standard version of Windows, you cannot make the pagefile larger than 4096MB)

pagefile3.jpg
    • Click "Set" again. Click Ok on the Virtual Memory screen, and Ok on the System Properties window. You will receive a message saying that you must reboot to male these changes.
    • After you reboot, you will have the more free space on your C: drive.
    If none of the above options suit you, you will need to re-install Windows to a larger partition.

That doesn't change the partition sizes, it only changes your swap file size and or location, plus you are better keeping the swap file on the C drive in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 6 robissimo

That doesn't change the partition sizes, it only changes your swap file size and or location, plus you are better keeping the swap file on the C drive in most cases

What you are saying is correct, partition sizes will remain the same. However, there is no benefit to keeping the pagefile on the C: drive, other than saving dumpfiles from bluescreens.

It will give more free space to his C: drive and stop the annoying message in the system tray.... at least for now. He can manage his space a little better by installing additional programs to the E: drive.

At best it is a temporary measure, but it's certainly possible to run most versions of Windows on a 10GB C: drive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's actually very simple to resize with gparted, see:

With only one internal hard drive it would be hard to mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Is gparted safe to use on a drive with data on it ? I know, you'll probably say back it up....I have a 320GB external disk, dont fancy burning 80 DVD's !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

gparted will work, ive used before on XP but no idea about win 7 or vista compatibility. you can resize a partition in vista or windows 7 without any 3rd party tool though but you need to convert to dynamic disk first which can bring on a whole load of other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

An easy way would be uninstall some of your programmes and then reinstall them onto the E drive. When installing any future programmes install them also to the E drive. Leaving the C drive mainly for the operating system and swap files etc.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/242/xp-change-default-installation-directory/ - Worth a look as an addition to the above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement