Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Systems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Nagoh wrote: »
    Also, go for as many competitions/challenges as you can, even if you don't feel like you're up to scratch. Not only does it give good experience but looks great on a CV..!

like all those competitions you go to???
    Congrats Bobby, might see you around in September then :)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

bazkennedy wrote: »
    like all those competitions you go to???
    Exactly, I would if I could have a do-over. It's only in hindsight I see their value :):(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

First year is handy, just make sure you get the basics of programming down. The lecturer is fantastic.

However second year is much much harder. But i'll say this, if you go into college and work from 9 til 5/6 five days a week then you will get nearly all A's as long as you're not brain dead. In second year I tried just going to lectures/labs/tuts and will now be doing second year again :(. But I do have a good co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

hey guys any one able to tell how much i should be setting aside for books etc for first year comp sys, been along time since i was in school
    need a new laptop also i guess, i have a few but they are destroyed by my 2 1/2 year old !
    any excuse for a new one tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

You don't "need" any books for first year, but it might be a nice idea to pick up some for some extra curricular programming.
    This is of course dependent on you going to lectures, labs & tutorials.

The library has alot of the stuff you need, so evaluate your needs as you go along. The lectures won't (haven't for the past 2 years of first years) be strict about getting books, in first year at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I personally bought only 1 book during my 4 years, and rarely used that one.

Many times, you can do without books - in between book sharing, stray PDF files and the library, often if you need access to a book you'll get it.

If I did it again, I would have bought no books.

Saying that, your mileage might vary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Yeah when I did it I had a C++ book and thats it.

You can get by with whats on the web, pdf's, handouts, library etc

oh ya,

cheers so guys, there's me thinking id be forking out hundreds !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Just make sure you can get away without the book. If you see a lecturer relying heavily on a book, and lack the ability to get notes covering the material, you may have to buy one (or obtain it by other means).

Just don't rush out and buy all the books they tell you too in week 1, cause it'll probably be a waste of money.

There is of course the library with a handy selection of relevant books. I'm only discovering just how handy in the past few weeks while doing some prep work for the masters.

• Advertisement

Nagoh wrote: »
    Ah haha. Just thought I'd let ye know Norah mentioned these posts in class today. :P

lol she mentioned this thread at orientation last thursday !
    I went tomato red !! :D

:)

If you need any programming help, in the CSIS building the ICT center is on the first floor. From around week 3 onwards it's a drop-in center where you can get help with programming.
    I should (hopefully) be around a few hours a week to give tips.
    Look for the guy who may have taken your ID card picture :)

Sound !

Advertisement