Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty International & the lack of attention given to domestic violence against men

Options
  • 26-02-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭

(This is an off-shoot from another thread - it was suggested another thread could be useful so the issue of violence by men could be discussed on that thread)

Here's an article to get the ball-rolling:

http://www.amen.ie/Papers/15209.htm
    Amnesty surrenders credibility
    What some of us find objectionable about domestic violence propaganda is that it (1) seeks to impose on all men the guilt of the few; (2) insists there is little or no violence against men by women; (3) lobbies assiduously to prevent organisations representing male victims getting equal treatment; and (4) has fostered a widespread fraudulent abuse of domestic violence legislation by women, some of whom are themselves abusers, to deprive men of their children and homes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭iptba

Letter in Irish Times following John Waters' article:
    AMNESTY AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
    A chara, - As someone who has supported the aims of Amnesty International over 25 years, I was saddened by John Waters's column of July 4th. Although I often disagree with the Mr Waters, his analysis of the domestic violence issue rings true for me in my work among vulnerable fathers here in Donegal.

Many claim, in the safety of the support group, that they were victims of domestic abuse from their wives/partners. All claim that on making complaints to the gardaí, their allegations were dismissed or, worse, they were scoffed at for not "being able to sort her out".

Had they in fact "sorted her out", no doubt An Garda Síochána would know exactly what to do with these abusive males.

One would think that this was a rich furrow for Amnesty to plough. It involves abuse, State collusion and official denial. Perhaps Amnesty is interested in men who suffer violence only if the perpetrator of that violence is also male?

Amnesty's recent report, by ignoring research on the subject produced for the Irish Government, means that the feminist world view is untainted by truth. The appalling vista of men abused by their wives or partners can be tidily swept under the official carpet, with the help of an organisation I used to respect. - Is mise,

Letter in Irish Examiner:
    09/07/05
    Domestic violence: the truth is out

BRIAN ABBOT (Irish Examiner letters, July 7) says there is a need for a report on men abused by women, and that this should be done urgently.

In recent years there have been three ‘independent dual gender’ research reports on domestic violence, all of which have concluded that when it comes to sole perpetrators, women are marginally more responsible.

One of these researches was carried out by the State, which promptly buried it, never to be seen again.

Amnesty International has lost the plot on this issue, and has damaged its outstanding reputation by its amateur research and reporting.

Amnesty now owe male victims of domestic violence an apology, which I somehow doubt the feminists in the organisation will allow.

The Government is making a major contribution to the escalation of domestic violence because it has consistently ignored national and international independent research, all of which shows that women are every bit as culpable as men as sole perpetrators of domestic violence.

The problem cannot be tackled successfully until the Government accepts this truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I get it I used to support Amnesty International too until they included people like me in the list of enemies.

I think they have lost the plot and got into mainstream marketing campaigns. You have to ask yourself would they even know who the modern Steve Bikos of the world are.

So its me and you who are the new Galtieris of this world.

Advertisement