Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Controllers are Superior.

Options
  • 26-02-2010 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

Alot of people say that the 'Xbox 360' controller is far better than the PS3 Controller, and some even purchase the 360 console over the PS3 because of the controller,However this is absolutely false, The improved 'Sony Dual shock 3 sixaxis' outclasses the 360 controller in every aspect, here are the facts....

Firstly we'll start with battery power... The Dualshock 3 controller uses a 3.7 V Li-ion battery with cable. The pack provides up to 30 hours of continuous gaming for the wireless controller. Not only do the Lithium batteries last a hell of alot longer but they are lighter, charge much faster, and can be charged fully by any mini USB cable within minutes, unlike the 360's where you will have to spend continuous amounts of money on AA batteries or overpriced accessories such as the play and charge kit or the useless wall charger. The heavy battery packs on the 360's pad make them much heavier.

Secondly the Dualshock 3 is technically more advanced using 'Bluetooth technology'' Allowing for a faster response and a range of up to 20 meters away, while the 360's only works 10 meters away using an outdated 2.4Ghz radio frequency.

Bluetooth technology also allows users to connect up to 7 controllers to a PS3 at once while the 360's only allows for 4.

And of course we all know about the 'sixaxis' phenomenon allowing for complete motion including yaw, pitch, roll, x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. which leads to creative freedom. Game developers are only starting to discover the potential of six axis, but we can still virtually row a boat, smack someone in the head with a rifle-butt, steer vehicles, fly aircraft, shoot basketball hoops, fight people in Heavy Rain and much more to expect in the future, of course the 360's pad offers nothing like this at all with no innovation.

On the Xbox 360, the d-pad is utterly useless due to its odd design. Moves are extremely hard to execute because you literally feel like you are trying to move a single piece of plastic, versus having independent up, down, left and right angles. This is where the PS3 dualshock controller excels. The d-pad on the DS3 is actually quite good. The angles are very easy to hit on the d-pad to execute special moves in games.

ps3-dpad.jpg

xbox-dpad.jpg

The recently added vibration function on the Dualshock 3 is more realistic than the 360's... Each hit, crash and explosion is more realistic when the user feels the vibration right in the palm of their hand. Users also have to option to turn it off if they aren't comfortable with it, where as the 360's is fixed on constantly.

Believe it or not but the Dualshock 3 Triggers with a cheap simple upgrade become superior to the 360's pad triggers, The Giotech ''Real triggers'' make the Dualshock 3 even greater, adding increased comfort and 'feel' for the user
    especially when playing racing or shooting games.

Also you can customize your analogue sticks on the Dualshock 3 with the
    'exspect silicone caps' allowing for greater control and they also protect your analogue sticks from becoming worn. They can be seen in the pictures of my two Dualshock 3 controllers below.

Dualshock 3 With 'Giotech Real Triggers Installed'
    26022010003.jpg

My Dualshock 3 Controllers with the 'exspect silicone caps' installed. (One with The concave cap and one with the studded cap)

26022010004.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I hope to god you copied and pasted that from another forum because if you didn't you just wasted a hell of a lot of time kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

callaway92 wrote: »
    I hope to god you copied and pasted that from another forum because if you didn't you just wasted a hell of a lot of time kid

nope completed it within a half hour, hope your in support of what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Both Playstation and xbox D pads suck ass. You're comparing sh1t to sh1t. Sega and Nintendo own all the decent D pad patents.

The Xbox controller is more comfortable. Therefore it wins. The generic playstation style of pad was out of date on the ps2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

xbox controller is better, ps3 dpad wins tho

Master of the Universe

Helix wrote: »
    ps3 dpad wins tho

As per my above comment, it's still **** ;)

I've been playing my Dreamcast & Saturn a lot lately and the D pads are beautiful. had to go back to using a ps D pad as a copy of Legacy of Kain came in the post and it's just absolute cack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

o1s1n wrote: »
    As per my above comment, it's still **** ;)

I've been playing my Dreamcast & Saturn a lot lately and the D pads are beautiful. had to go back to using a ps D pad as a copy of Legacy of Kain came in the post and it's just absolute cack.

oh aye youre right

the gamecube one was probably the comfiest ive used, but needed a bit more heft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

360 pad is more comfortable, but I think the analogue sticks are better on the ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I've never owned an Xbox 360, but have 2 360 controllers for me PC and, OP, you are wrong, apart from the D-Pad, there is nothing superior about the PS3 controller.

It's all been argued before and you are in the minority. The 360 controller is the de facto king of this console generation of stock gamepads.

The very fact you need to buy addons to make the controller better should tell you that the PS3 controller is inferior. If it was equal or better than the 360 controller you wouldn't need to clip pieces of plastic onto in.

Master of the Universe

The problem with the Gamecube one is it's position on the pad. Just not as comfortable as others..which is understandable as the console is geared towards analog use. It functions well though.

The Dreamcast though, lovely! Actually I'd go so far as to say that Sega have the best D pads (both functionality and positioning on the pad) ever made.

...sorry for going a bit off topic, I'm just passionate about my d pads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

for sports games (read Pro Evo and FIFA) i prefer to use the D-Pad so I prefer the PS3 controller. for FPS titles the 360 pad is a lot better.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

for sports games (read Pro Evo and FIFA) i prefer to use the D-Pad so I prefer the PS3 controller. for FPS titles the 360 pad is a lot better.

If you rather use a D pad then you're doing yourself an injustice by using a ps3 pad. Get a USB Saturn pad for your ps3. Your quality of game will probably imporove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Alot of people say that the 'Xbox 360' controller is far better than the PS3 Controller, and some even purchase the 360 console over the PS3 because of the controller,However this is absolutely false, The improved 'Sony Dual shock 3 sixaxis' outclasses the 360 controller in every aspect.

Believe it or not but the Dualshock 3 Triggers with a cheap simple upgrade become superior to the 360's pad triggers, The Giotech ''Real triggers'' make the Dualshock 3 even greater, adding increased comfort and 'feel' for the user
    especially when playing racing or shooting games.

Also you can customize your analogue sticks on the Dualshock 3 with the
    'exspect silicone caps' allowing for greater control and they also protect your analogue sticks from becoming worn. They can be seen in the pictures of my two Dualshock 3 controllers below.

Dualshock 3 With 'Giotech Real Triggers Installed'

Couldn't agree more with you! I have plenty of experience of both controller's, my only gripe with the PS3 one is that is abit light (although I don't have Dualshock ones,which can add a nice bit of weight) and the triggers, I've done the same thing myself with the Giotech Mod and I couldnt be more pleased!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ah, the Saturn and Dreamcast pads, thats where the real control was. We we most likely never get as good a dpad than the one fitted to the Saturn controllers again.

The fact that the 360 and xbox1 controllers are based on the Dreamcast layout show that Sega were still thinking and ahead of the game hardware wise. Just a pity the games were not there for it.

I still love the very first xbox controller, the big chunky one. It was so comfortable, I could use it for hours on end and it all felt so natural from the first time I picked it up. Compared to when I moved to the DS 1s with no vibrate function and then the later model that had it on the PS1.

The fact there are so many after market mods for the DS3 show its lacking, I got the triggers for mine as it just felt wrong without them. The sticks as as bad as ever and Sony still have not learned. Both Nintendo and Sega and then MS showed Sony where the d-pad and sticks should be placed, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Agree with what others say. PS3 and XBOX controllers are terrible compared to the classics of yesteryear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

I own both PS3 and 360, and if I had to choose between the two I would choose the 360's everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Ps3 joypads are not good for people with tempers, ive gone through 3 of them already... xbox controllers are durable as **** i threw one at a concrete wall and its still going haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I don't even see the point in comparing them to be honest. It's not like you can use the other controller on the other system, so who care if they're better, go for the system with the more exclusives you like rather than for the controller. In an ideal world get both!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Agree with what others say. PS3 and XBOX controllers are terrible compared to the classics of yesteryear.

Wavebird was and still is the best controller i have used tbh. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

m74cjm.gif

2whnw5l.gif

Enough said :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How dare you record me without my permission.:D Thats exactly my problem with the DS design, I have to contort my hands and thumbs so the pads of my thumbs will actually rest on the sticks. It gets painful after 30mins or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

phant0m wrote: »
    m74cjm.gif

2whnw5l.gif

Thats so retarded! Hes not even trying with the ps3 controller!

I prefer the PS3 controller, theirs no stupid battery pack at the back... its rechargable, and Ive had PS1/2 so why change a good thing!

I think its pointless saying one is better then the other, it just falls into the boring pathetic fanboi bollix that goes on... "Xbox b3ats ps3 all daiii oh yeahahaha hahah" fúck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

That post read like a sony employee wrote it. It's not a "fact" that the ps3 controller is better, it's your opinion. I have both a ps3 and 360 and prefer the 360's pad so much more than the ps3's but thats just my opinion.

What i thought was ironic was that you complained that you have to buy a charger for the 360 pad but then you go on to say you have to buy some necessary addons for the ps3 pad (which ironically make it more like a 360 pad).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Have both.
    Hate the triggers on the PS .... other then that, couldnt care less. Both work and dont get in my way playing. Prefer the inbuilt battery of the PS3 but then it means I cant quickly recharge it with AA batteries. Swings and round abouts.

Both could be a lot better though.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

The 360 pad is my favourite of this Gen but the Saturn pad was sublime, so bloody comfortable. The thing that designers have failed to do this generation is make a decent D-pad, sure the PS3's is slightly better but its like comparing a cow pat to slurry either way they're still ****e.

Again to go back to the Saturn, I adored the way the D-pad just seemed to move under every slightest impulse from your thumb, definitely superlative pad design

grimm2005 wrote: »
    That post read like a sony employee wrote it. It's not a "fact" that the ps3 controller is better, it's your opinion. I have both a ps3 and 360 and prefer the 360's pad so much more than the ps3's but thats just my opinion.

What i thought was ironic was that you complained that you have to buy a charger for the 360 pad but then you go on to say you have to buy some necessary addons for the ps3 pad (which ironically make it more like a 360 pad).

Im not a Sony employee, i didnt copy and paste it, i just know the basic facts about Sonys hardware and the fact is... It is much better, im not gonna repeat all the many facts I fully explained in the post just look at them,

And I did complain about having to buy stupid products from microsoft for the controller which are 1. OVERPRICED, 2. LOW QUALITY, 3. UTTERLY RUBBISH!

The products i advertised, if you like, including the Triggers,the analogue caps and even a high quality play and charge kit,cost me in total 4 euro, ie. (Right price for quality products)

The extra useless products you have to buy for the rubbish controller by Microsoft including the 'Play and charge kit' costs 20 euro ( properly made in the region of 1-2 euro) and the 'wall charger' costs 25-30 euro ( another insanely overpriced useless piece of hardware). And in no way does it make it 'ironically' like the 360 pad, When you compare the DS3 to the 360 pad its like contrasting a Ferrari Enzo with a flipping Nissan micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The one thing I never realised about the 360 controller ,was the headset connection.
    I really think it's a great idea to have the headset hooked up to the controller.

As for controlling ,I much prefer the 360 ,my hands are always sore using the dualshock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

phant0m wrote: »
    m74cjm.gif

2whnw5l.gif

If he had girlish hands like mine he would have that problem.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I really think it's a great idea to have the headset hooked up to the controller.

Thats really not a great idea, Wired headsets are for the typical cheap Xbox 360 gamer that couldn't afford a PS3.

I Own Both so i know, I despise the headset on Xbox 360 its another example of Microsoft failure in hardware design.

Bluetooth headsets are the 'real' way to communicate,I use this baby which is really a billions times greater than all of the cheap, poorest quality, useless Microsoft headsets put together.

337509ps_500h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

!MAVERICK! wrote: »

337509ps_500h.jpg

Can I have fries with that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i've had the same play & charge kit for the last 3 years and its still going strong, think i paid €20-25. i don't see that as over priced.

Advertisement