Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Controllers are Superior.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't have a bluetooth headset and never intend on buying one. With the 360 at least you get a pack in microphone so everyone is using voice coms unlike on the PS3 where hardly anyone is.

As for the dualshock I hate it but it's useable. I thought the original PS pad design was atrocious. Too small, d-pad was scutter compared to the saturn, snes and megadrive and bolting 2 analogue sticks to the bottom in a lazy effort to match the N64 was uncomfortable. I think it's madness that Sony kept this awful design for 3 generations. I hate how the tops off the analogue sticks also wear out after use and become smooth giving no grip at all. Six axis control has so far shown itself to be as useful as a cock flavoured lolipop. It may be more sensitive than the wii's motion control but that mean jack **** when it's been half arsed into a joypad shape not meant for motion control.

The 360 is a much better designed pad that is far more comfortable to use. sure the d-pad is thrash and the dualshock pad is slightly better but when it comes down to it the only place this matters is in fighting games and both suck donkey balls and are unuseable. Anyway if you want to play fighting games you'll buy a stick anyway. In everything less the 360's buttons, shoulder buttons, analogue sticks and ergonomic shape win out for me. It may not have a built in rechargeable battery but I find switching between 2 sets of rechargeable batteries better than sitting on the floor with the measly 2 foot charging cable that comes with system and why the **** does it not charge the joypads when in standby mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Thats really not a great idea, Wired headsets are for the typical cheap Xbox 360 gamer that couldn't afford a PS3.

So gamers who only have an Xbox are cheap?

Personally I much prefer the wired headset on the Xbox and find the audio quality on my bluetooth headset crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thats really not a great idea, Wired headsets are for the typical cheap Xbox 360 gamer that couldn't afford a PS3.

Back under your bridge there chap. Shame really, whatever misguided points you were trying to make are pretty much null and void now.

On the controllers, despite my PS3 getting much more play time nowadays thanks to the likes of MAG and Heavy Rain, the 360's joypad is infinately better. So much so that I'm honestly considering going for the 360 version of FFXIII over the PS3's despite the fact that the PS3's appears to be stronger. I just despise the PS3 controller. It's the exact same joypad Sony was pumping out 10 years ago and the lack of evolution or innovation really shows now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The PS2 had better analog sticks than the PS3. What's that about? They're way nicer to use, less sensitive/soft to the touch, I feel a bit heavy handed when I use the PS3 after the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

404px-fanboys_poster_preview.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

I Own Both so i know, I despise the headset on Xbox 360 its another example of Microsoft failure in hardware design.

Bluetooth headsets are the 'real' way to communicate,I use this baby which is really a billions times greater than all of the cheap, poorest quality, useless Microsoft headsets put together.

337509ps_500h.jpg

Joke topic confirmed :rolleyes:

Also, your OP is somewhat inaccurate (no sh1t :p). Vibration can be turned off on 360 in preferences. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

phant0m wrote: »
    m74cjm.gif

2whnw5l.gif

Enough said :P

Just did the exact same thing with both pads, that guys a bloody fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

phant0m wrote: »
    m74cjm.gif

2whnw5l.gif

Enough said :P

Is that player mentally retarded? whe the fcuk plays games like that?

I like the PS3 pad, it feels fine, doesnt hurt after a while and i love the L2 and R2 triggers, same as I love the 360 pad, the d-pads are inconsequential to me as I rarely ever play fighting games on them, i have MAME and an xbox arcade usb stick for that and it suits me fine

Cant understand this fanboy loving of everything their console does, i have zero loyalty towards one console, they all have their strenghts and weaknesses, I had a 360 but will wind up getting another one when the elites drop in price at some stage again, love my ps3 and my Wii, theres no such thing as a perfect console , just go for the one that has the most games that appeal to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

krudler wrote: »

I like the PS3 pad, it feels fine, doesnt hurt after a while and i love the L2 and R2 triggers, same as I love the 360 pad, the d-pads are inconsequential to me as I rarely ever play fighting games on them, i have MAME and an xbox arcade usb stick for that and it suits me fine

Cant understand this fanboy loving of everything their console does, i have zero loyalty towards one console, they all have their strenghts and weaknesses, I had a 360 but will wind up getting another one when the elites drop in price at some stage again, love my ps3 and my Wii, theres no such thing as a perfect console , just go for the one that has the most games that appeal to you

I think his point is that you can't hold/use the PS3 controller the way you can use the 360 controller, i.e., the right way. :pac:

I've a 360 and a PS3 and the PS3 is just gathering dust, can't stand the controller and there haven't been many ps3 exclusives that really shouted out at me. Surprised if I don't sell it soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I think that guys having some sort of seizure.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I think his point is that you can't hold/use the PS3 controller the way you can use the 360 controller, i.e., the right way. :pac:

I've a 360 and a PS3 and the PS3 is just gathering dust, can't stand the controller and there haven't been many ps3 exclusives that really shouted out at me. Surprised if I don't sell it soon.

But he's moving the thumbsticks on the ps3 pad with the palms of his hands, theres a reason they're called THUMBsticks, people have it too easy these days anyway, ergonomically designed, comfort fitted, slim, scented and moisturised pads, play an 5 hour session of Mega Man 2 on one of these:

mach_-_nes_controller.jpg

Then the kids of today can talk about pads hurting their hands, ppffft, dont even know they're born these young ones today :D

But he's moving the thumbsticks on the ps3 pad with the palms of his hands, theres a reason they're called THUMBsticks, people have it too easy these days anyway, ergonomically designed, comfort fitted, slim, scented and moisturised pads, play an 5 hour session of Mega Man 2 on one of these:

Then the kids of today can talk about pads hurting their hands, ppffft, dont even know they're born these young ones today :D

Hey, I've still got a dent in the palm of each hand from the corners of those things. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

well Op it seems as though hardly anyone agrees with you and hardly anyone thanked your posts so head away now boy and take your "facts" with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Speaking of the above pad, the D pad on that is even better than the ones on the ps3 and 360.

Just think about that for a second. A 25 year old D pad is better than the one on current consoles. How lazy and ****ed up is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I prefer the PS3 controller but I wouldn't have been arsed going to that degree to make my point.

It seems irritatingly fashionable to jump on the bandwagon these days and slate both controllers in favour of the so called "classic" controllers. Sorry but it's a load of bullsh!t.

I suppose in 20 years time we'll be raving about how the PS3 and XBox controllers were so comfortable and so stylish and so whatever.

Yawn....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fastmover

for what it's worth...i think the PS3 controller is the perfect fit to held....I've never been able to get to grips with the xbox 360 controller....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Just did the exact same thing with both pads, that guys a bloody fool.

Dude, you do realise that that guy is just taking the piss, right?

The PS3 controller isn't that bad in all fairness :p

Master of the Universe

smooch71 wrote: »

It seems irritatingly fashionable to jump on the bandwagon these days and slate both controllers in favour of the so called "classic" controllers. Sorry but it's a load of bullsh!t.

I suppose in 20 years time we'll be raving about how the PS3 and XBox controllers were so comfortable and so stylish and so whatever.

Yawn....

I own every Nintendo console, every Sega console, Every Microsoft console, ever playstation console...(bar the ps3). Which amounts to about 30 or so consoles.

I collect for and play them all regularly. That means I have quite possibly 50 or 60 control pads (maybe even more) across all these systems. As each system has multiple pads, arcade sticks etc. I actually just recently bought two of the the rare SCPH-1180 PS1 original analog pads with the longer handles and can say that they are more comfortable than the current ps3 dual shock.

I can tell you for a fact that older pads are more comfortable when it comes to using the D pad. And that Nintendo and Sega have better designs in that regard. This is not bull****, it is just how it is. Maybe you haven't grown up playing the Nes, Snes, Saturn, Dreamcast etc and you don't have the experience with them...or just don't have one around at the moment to make comparisons. If that's the case, get a Saturn USB pad and you'll very quickly see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mad_catz_retro_dark_big.jpg

The Mad Catz Retrocon was one of the best joypads I'd ever used, shame it's only PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

o1s1n wrote: »
    I own every Nintendo console, every Sega console, Every Microsoft console, ever playstation console...(bar the ps3). Which amounts to about 30 or so consoles.

I collect for and play them all regularly. That means I have quite possibly 50 or 60 control pads (maybe even more) across all these systems. As each system has multiple pads, arcade sticks etc. I actually just recently bought two of the the rare SCPH-1180 PS1 original analog pads with the longer handles and can say that they are more comfortable than the current ps3 dual shock.

I can tell you for a fact that older pads are more comfortable when it comes to using the D pad. And that Nintendo and Sega have better designs in that regard. This is not bull****, it is just how it is. Maybe you haven't grown up playing the Nes, Snes, Saturn, Dreamcast etc and you don't have the experience with them...or just don't have one around at the moment to make comparisons. If that's the case, get a Saturn USB pad and you'll very quickly see what I mean.

I reckon the point being made is that while classic controllers are probably better and more comfortable in many ways, the majority of 'em would be useless with today's games, with most of 'em in 3D so the two analogues are essential.
    I think microsoft got closest to the mark of a great controller with the xbox/360 as they clearly took a lot of pages from sega's book with the dreamcast (which was a great controller).
    However, there's no excuse really for the d-pad issues. Fortunately i don't really play fighting games so it's never really been an issue for me

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Hey, I've still got a dent in the palm of each hand from the corners of those things. :pac:

Im pretty sure my wrists are forever ruined by them, its the mark of a true gamer

Im pretty sure my wrists are forever ruined by them, its the mark of a true gamer

Explains how you can use to PS3 one comfortably so. :pac:

Master of the Universe

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I reckon the point being made is that while classic controllers are probably better and more comfortable in many ways, the majority of 'em would be useless with today's games, with most of 'em in 3D so the two analogues are essential.
    I think microsoft got closest to the mark of a great controller with the xbox/360 as they clearly took a lot of pages from sega's book with the dreamcast (which was a great controller).
    However, there's no excuse really for the d-pad issues. Fortunately i don't really play fighting games so it's never really been an issue for me

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I'm only talking about D pads here. They'd be useless with anything that requires two analog sticks.

Although as I said, I got a couple of the original analog pads for the ps1 that were released briefly just before the dual shock came out. They had elongated handles which supposedly the Japanese didn't like. So they made the dual shock have shorter handles. A design which is still used by Sony to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

.... Yes they are.

/ thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

If were talking about controllers for the current generation for consoles I'll go with the Xbox 360 myself. I just find that as most games only use the analogue for character/vehicle movement the PS3 analogue is too sensitive and skittish. Escpially for FPSs I think it's just horrible. It never too accurate so for FPSs at least I buy I go with the 360. Also, I think out of all the controllers I've used it feels too small, too flimsy. What you want is a chunky controller like the N64, Dreamcast or, even though it's small, the Gamecube controller whereby your hands almost sink into it.

Also, I find the nubs on the PS3 analogues can get very slippy. I like with the 360 how their ever so slightly indented. Just works better to be honest. Still, the PS3 controller is great and has done a nice job since the days of th PS1. Sony revolutionized pads with the PS1 but it's time to overhaul it. It's years old now and even though I still happily use it I'd prefer if they revamped it entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Den85 wrote: »
    Sony revolutionized pads with the PS1 but it's time to overhaul it. It's years old now and even though I still happily use it I'd prefer if they revamped it entirely.

How exactly, Sony just kept the same layout as the SNES and Mega Drive pads. Then they stuck on two stick a few years later.

It was the Dreamcast that set the current and best layout. MS used it for the Xbox and Nintendo for the Gamecube. Sony are still stuck in 1995 with their controller design and made it worse with the L2 and R2 on the DS3 that most people mod them with proper triggers.

Sony need to completely re-design their controller, they almost did with the first dual shock on the PS1 but the Japs with their small hands (of their test group they sampled it on) didn't like it. MS took the opposite road and made a nice big chunky controller for the first Xbox and has to be my favourite controller for comfort and design. They then made the smaller and more compact S controller after complaints from the Asian market and that became the standard and the 360 pad was based on it.

The Asian market complain to Sony and they bend over for them, same with MS. But if the EU or US market complained about the dual shock pads, just release a load of after market mods instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

How exactly, Sony just kept the same layout as the SNES and Mega Drive pads. Then they stuck on two stick a few years later.

It was the Dreamcast that set the current and best layout. MS used it for the Xbox and Nintendo for the Gamecube. Sony are still stuck in 1995 with their controller design and made it worse with the L2 and R2 on the DS3 that most people mod them with proper triggers.

Sony need to completely re-design their controller, they almost did with the first dual shock on the PS1 but the Japs with their small hands (of their test group they sampled it on) didn't like it. MS took the opposite road and made a nice big chunky controller for the first Xbox and has to be my favourite controller for comfort and design. They then made the smaller and more compact S controller after complaints from the Asian market and that became the standard and the 360 pad was based on it.

I agree! I was trying to say that as far as I can remember the PS1 controller was the first to pretty much take confortablity and shape into account. It's honestly the first pad I ever used that didn't feel uncomfortable during long bouts of gaming. But I agree, the Dreamcast pad set the trend. Also, for me it's still the best pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

so you wasted your time op, less than 7 agreed with you out of 4 pages of responses.

Also do you own an xbox?
    Users also have to option to turn it off if they aren't comfortable with it, where as the 360's is fixed on constantly.

This is wrong, you ca turn off the 360s vibration..

I prefer the 360 controller. I own both consoles. but find the ps3 controller too small. When i have a choice on what platform to buy a game (ps3 or xbox) i go with xbox as when i use the ps3 controller for too long i get cramps...

Maybe i just have big hands....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you think Sony revolutionised controllers then you should look back at the press from when the PS1 was released. The PS1 pad was ridiculed for being way too small, having a ****ty d-pad and only 4 face buttons which was useless for fighting games that were popular at the time. It was thought to be uncomfortable compared to the utterly brilliant saturn controller and the genesis 6 button and snes controllers before it. It's only because it's been in use for well over 10 years and it's the only controller a lot of people know that some people think it was revolutionary and ergonomic when it really is a bad pad overall. It was revolutionary in two ways, it came with a decent length cord and it took power from the PSU which mean when extra features like rumble were added there was no need for batteries. Anyone that has played a sega saturn will tell you how bad the PS1 pad was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What are the odds of Sony redesigning the pad mid way through a console's lifetime?

Advertisement