Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Controllers are Superior.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

It won't happen for sure. What I am hoping for is that they re-design it upon releasing the PS4. Yeah, it's a long ways off yet but it's the only time where I can see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The 360 pad is pretty much what the Dreamcast pad would be like if they stuck a second analog stick on it and made it even more comfortable. Shame about the D pad though!

You can then go one further, the Dreamcast pad is based on the Sega Saturn 3D controller. They pretty much did the same thing to that as Xbox did with the Dreamcast pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Man I think you have some issues if you had that post building inside of you.

My 2 cents having both consoles.

Xbox controller by some distance. PS3 has a better dpad which is great except I can't think of a single game that I use it. 6 axis stuff is a load of gimmicky crap. The dualshock is a ten year plus old design and not nice in teh hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I do prefer the PS3 controller but my god, I can't believe this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pity the PS3 Boomerang controller never came out, that thing loked awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Two words....Personal Preference.

My personal preference is neither....

The Xbox is more comfortable....though the PS3 button layout is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i prefer the ps3 simply because i had a ps1 ps2 and now a ps3, had an xbox but didnt like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Pity the PS3 Boomerang controller never came out, that thing loked awesome.
    Ya, that looked class in the original ps3 plans.

My preference is the ps3 pad but that is down to the fact it is the only thing I know. I've grown up in the playstation era so I've only ever owned playstation pads and one original xbox pad. I don't understand people saying the ds3's are uncomfortable but then again I have small hands.

I have clocked up months on a playstation pad, days on an original xbox pad and only a few hours on an xbox 360 pad so my preference follows that pattern. I'm not a retro gamer so haven't even heard of half the consoles or controllers mentioned in this thread so my preference is playstation, then original xbox, then xbox 360.

I think though that the more you use a pad, the more you grow comfortable and accustomed to it so I'm sure if I only used an xbox 360 controller for the next month, that would be my new favorite.

Master of the Universe

Well the Saturn more or less coincided with the playstation, so it's no more retro than that. The Dreamcast came out just before the ps2.

So you have no excuse! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well the Saturn more or less coincided with the playstation, so it's no more retro than that. The Dreamcast came out just before the ps2.

So you have no excuse! :P

I feel old when people start calling the Dreamcast, Saturn and PS1 retro. To me they are only a few years gone. I can still remember first taking them out of the box.

I started my console gaming, and gaming in general on the NES in 1993 and I'd consider that now retro but I wouldn't class the SNES or Mega Drive retro just yet myself.

Suppose it comes down to how old you are. I'm glad I got to experience the older consoles when they were new instead of being brought up on the PS3 era consoles. The old classics I would have missed:(. 8 bit sound in all its glory.:)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Jesus I know, tell me about it. I started playing games on the ZX Spectrum/Atari 2600 in the 80s. I just about consider the Megadrive and Snes to be retro (Feel old just saying that)..but anything after with 3D capabilities just can't be!

But yeah, really glad I grew up when I did. I think the playstation generation kids really missed out on a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Same here, started on a C64 in 1990 but before that I was playing arcade games and some amiga and import megadrive in friends places. I too think that the playstation kids missed out on a whole lot especially the 16-bit era which for me was a bit of a golden era. 2D gaming was perfected and it was just reams of quality titles being released and then the coming of 3D was just so exciting when the PS1 and Saturn came out. A lot of young people missed out on 2D gaming and won't even look at a game with 2D art no matter how gorgeous it looks. I'm actually glad the DS is so under powered because it's introducing people back into 2D gaming and could be the last bastion of 2D we ever see.

I never owned a ps1. My first console was a ps2 for Christmas 2000 (I got it with fifa 01:D)
    51WQBDDXTCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg.

It wasn't until the launch of Need For Speed Underground 2 that I got into proper gaming. I have never seen nor heard of a Dreamcast or a Saturn. When I was growing up (15 now), if you owned a console, it was either a ps2 or an original xbox and then either a ps3 or an xbox360. None of these other consoles ye are all mentioning were ever heard of.

That said, I'm sure they were great consoles at the time, they just didn't penetrate the youth market of Limerick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whippersnappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whippersnappers.

Grandpa voice/ back in my day we had a cartridge, a dpad and two buttons. You had to complete a game in one sitting, none of these save points you kids have today. We even had a hamster running on a wheel to provide the power:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Grandpa voice/ back in my day we had a cartridge, a dpad and two buttons. You had to complete a game in one sitting, none of these save points you kids have today. We even had a hamster running on a wheel to provide the power:D

well la-dee-dah, look at you with your fancy hamster powered system. bet you were popular with your friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I never owned a ps1. My first console was a ps2 for Christmas 2000 (I got it with fifa 01:D)
    51WQBDDXTCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg.

It wasn't until the launch of Need For Speed Underground 2 that I got into proper gaming. I have never seen nor heard of a Dreamcast or a Saturn. When I was growing up (15 now), if you owned a console, it was either a ps2 or an original xbox and then either a ps3 or an xbox360. None of these other consoles ye are all mentioning were ever heard of.

That said, I'm sure they were great consoles at the time, they just didn't penetrate the youth market of Limerick.

Ha Ha is that Paul Scholes.On topic are we really talking about this again.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Ha Ha is that Paul Scholes.On topic are we really talking about this again.
    Ya it is. There were a load of covers for Fifa 01. My one had Scholes in it.

The only controller I couldn't use for gaming is a qwerty keyboard. I'd have to buy a usb controller. Other than that, I reckon I could use any controller to play a game.

Keyboard and mouse is the only way to play first person shooters. It's so much better than a joypad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I seem to recall saying something on this thread months ago about how the 360 pad was more comfortable and ergonomic. Now that I've been playing with a Dual Shock 3 for 6 months or so I'm totally used to it and its entirely comfortable, no real complaints other than it sucks for Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Now that I've been playing with a Dual Shock 3 for 6 months or so I'm totally used to it and its entirely comfortable, no real complaints other than it sucks for Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

I agree....although I am not sure if I am just blaming the controller for the fact that I suck at Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I've always being a huge fan of the PS controller, while this feels like a wee bit of a huge fan boy thread just thought id throw my weight in :D

But i've being through some terrible controllers, the days of Commedore 64 to the Atari ST, the competition to the commadore amiga.
    The joysticks and Joy pads!

Had a mastersystem and an NES, the dpad on the mastersystem controller had a tendency to crumble, the square things that dug into your hands ouch.
    The megadrive has had one of the best controllers to use.
    I've tried the Xbox but didn't think it was anything special, to me the PS controller suits me i can handle it perfectly use it properly.

My hands are large enough so its not that excuse, guess im just used to it.
    My other half can not stand the PS controller when have our Street Fighter marathons she does nothing but give out about how she wants a megadrive controller :D

The Good ol days of gaming i remember the ad for the N64 over the PS1, cartridge fast not CD slow!!
    I liked the N64 controller but i thought the analogue stick felt pretty flimsy that a quick temper tantrum would destroy it!

Finding a decent N64 controller these days where the analoge stick isn't screwed is a total pain.

Master of the Universe

The n64 analog stick ****s up in a really annoying way where it starts to feel like you're mixing a screwdriver around a bag of bolts/sand. I always thought it was retarded too the way the part of the pad it came out of was hexagonal shaped and not circular. Wtf was that about?

Anyway, I have a couple of decent ones left. Although that's probably because it's the one console I never really play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

o1s1n wrote: »
    The n64 analog stick ****s up in a really annoying way where it starts to feel like you're mixing a screwdriver around a bag of bolts/sand. I always thought it was retarded too the way the part of the pad it came out of was hexagonal shaped and not circular. Wtf was that about?

Anyway, I have a couple of decent ones left. Although that's probably because it's the one console I never really play.

Was it Hexagonal or Octagonal? Would be handy for the 8 main directions if it's the latter.

Octagonal. It's actually a really good design and what makes nintendo analogue sticks way better than any other consoles since it's patented and only nintendo can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Octagonal. It's actually a really good design and what makes nintendo analogue sticks way better than any other consoles since it's patented and only nintendo can use it.

I almost thought it was too small, the grip was a little small for the thumb too. It was a great controller for Goldeneye though.

It wasn't perfect by any means and seemed really just designed around 3D games but they redesigned it for the gamecube which turned out way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

It wasn't perfect by any means and seemed really just designed around 3D games but they redesigned it for the gamecube which turned out way better.

The Gamecube controller is a disaster. utterly unusable for many games and far from durable.

• Advertisement

It was a disaster for 2D games but for 3D games it's probably the best controller for them until the 360 controller came out. I find it really comfortable as well.

Advertisement