Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Controllers are Superior.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I cant bear the non cruciform A and B buttons and the whole shoulder/bumper area is daft. It is comfy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Octagonal. It's actually a really good design and what makes nintendo analogue sticks way better than any other consoles since it's patented and only nintendo can use it.

Bah, I meant octagonal. Getting my octs and Hexes mixed up :D

I always found it really annoying. Meant you couldnt get a proper smooth circular motion as it would clunk around the angles.

I like the actual movement of the stick though. Just would have been better if it was stubbier with a wider head.

And +1 for gamecube pads not being durable. All the analog sticks on mine are knackared.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have both consoles.
    !MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Alot of people say that the 'Xbox 360' controller is far better than the PS3 Controller, and some even purchase the 360 console over the PS3 because of the controller,However this is absolutely false, The improved 'Sony Dual shock 3 sixaxis' outclasses the 360 controller in every aspect, here are the facts....

Ok, lets see...
    Firstly we'll start with battery power... The Dualshock 3 controller uses a 3.7 V Li-ion battery with cable. The pack provides up to 30 hours of continuous gaming for the wireless controller. Not only do the Lithium batteries last a hell of alot longer but they are lighter, charge much faster, and can be charged fully by any mini USB cable within minutes, unlike the 360's where you will have to spend continuous amounts of money on AA batteries or overpriced accessories such as the play and charge kit or the useless wall charger. The heavy battery packs on the 360's pad make them much heavier.

How does this affect the playing of a game?
    Secondly the Dualshock 3 is technically more advanced using 'Bluetooth technology'' Allowing for a faster response and a range of up to 20 meters away, while the 360's only works 10 meters away using an outdated 2.4Ghz radio frequency.

Bluetooth technology also allows users to connect up to 7 controllers to a PS3 at once while the 360's only allows for 4.

And of course we all know about the 'sixaxis' phenomenon allowing for complete motion including yaw, pitch, roll, x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. which leads to creative freedom. Game developers are only starting to discover the potential of six axis, but we can still virtually row a boat, smack someone in the head with a rifle-butt, steer vehicles, fly aircraft, shoot basketball hoops, fight people in Heavy Rain and much more to expect in the future, of course the 360's pad offers nothing like this at all with no innovation.

The sixaxis is a blatent attempt to get some of the motion control hype that the Wii successfully created. Sixaxis is a pile of garbage. Simple as. Innovation. LOL
    On the Xbox 360, the d-pad is utterly useless due to its odd design. Moves are extremely hard to execute because you literally feel like you are trying to move a single piece of plastic, versus having independent up, down, left and right angles. This is where the PS3 dualshock controller excels. The d-pad on the DS3 is actually quite good. The angles are very easy to hit on the d-pad to execute special moves in games.

Name any game and the Xbox Controller is superior. I bought Fifa, MW2, SF4 on XBox simply because its a better controller.
    The recently added vibration function on the Dualshock 3 is more realistic than the 360's... Each hit, crash and explosion is more realistic when the user feels the vibration right in the palm of their hand. Users also have to option to turn it off if they aren't comfortable with it, where as the 360's is fixed on constantly.

Oh dear...
    Believe it or not but the Dualshock 3 Triggers with a cheap simple upgrade become superior to the 360's pad triggers, The Giotech ''Real triggers'' make the Dualshock 3 even greater, adding increased comfort and 'feel' for the user
    especially when playing racing or shooting games.

Seriously, oh dear...
    Also you can customize your analogue sticks on the Dualshock 3 with the
    'exspect silicone caps' allowing for greater control and they also protect your analogue sticks from becoming worn. They can be seen in the pictures of my two Dualshock 3 controllers below.

No way, really? The biggest breakthrough in gaming since the D-pad.

If there is an award for biggest fanboi post of 2010, you'll get my vote.

When we look back 50 years from now and think, what was the biggest FAIL comment from a company, it will be Sonys announcement that "The Next Generation doesn't start until we say so". Epic epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus FutureGuy, I know you want to come across as the voice of reason but you are coming across as a 360 fanboi instead.

Any two games? I can name you two genres that the PS3 controller is MILES better for.
    PES (and any sports game where the D-Pad is an option) and ANY fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

There is no one better than the other, each have their pros and cons

Xbox one is more comfortable and i like the trigger buttons on the back, the bulkiness of it makes it more sturdy aswell and the analog sticks are positioned in better places than the ps3

The USB charger is great on the PS3 and it has Sixaxis aswell and the d-pad is superior in my opinion.

Theres a mod to change a ps3 controller into an 360 one by changing the casing, wish i could do this

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus FutureGuy, I know you want to come across as the voice of reason but you are coming across as a 360 fanboi instead.

Not really. He doesn't make up amazing claims about the 360s controller. Just that the original post was extremely silly.

Any two games? I can name you two genres that the PS3 controller is MILES better for.

Back to comparing sh1t to sh1t.

If you want to play a fighter, just buy an arcade stick or a Saturn pad. Both the 360 and ps3 controllers fail completely. I would hardly say the ps3 controller is 'miles' better for these genres. It's better, but that's only because the 360 d pad is quite possibly the worst in existence.

Not really. I have both the 360 and the PS3 and if I feel like a game is better on one system, I'll buy it on that system. The only games I have bought on PS3 exclusives. I'll be getting Heavy Rain at the weekend which looks truely stunning.

It's down to personal belief, but I find SF4 unplayable on the PS3 d-pad and the analog is poorly placed to execute moves consistantly. I'd take the 360 pad/analog any day. Same with PES/FIFA, although I use the analog for that. Again, just personal taste. If the PS3 controller was better, I would play way more games on it.

I think it's widely accepted that the 360 controller is superior to the PS3 controller. The original poster is clutching at straws in attempt to prove otherwise. It's like saying Mary Harney is hotter than Angelina Jolie because she has nicer fingernails and isn't as skinny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

This thread sucks balls. It's the internet equivalent of two kids arguing in the playground about who has the better daddy.

An argument which my kid would obviously win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jip wrote: »
    This thread sucks balls. It's the internet equivalent of two kids arguing in the playground about who has the better daddy.

If you want to look at it that way then yeah, the majority of boards is like that.
    There are threads about which is better, a Golf or Focus. Nikon or Cannon digital cameras, they all do the same thing just that there is an overwhelming census of which is better, that's all.
    The fact that third party companies can make money by making parts to modify PS3 controllers and parts to turn PS3 controllers into a design more like the 360 controllers shows this. There is money to be made in this. Gamers have had from 1994 to get used to the design of the PS pad then along comes the 360 controller in 2005 and look what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

+1. its all about personal preference so there is no "bestest controller" ffs :rolleyes:. little fanboys are entertaining though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

....... But Superman is still way better than Spiderman :)

Master of the Universe

mixednuts wrote: »
    ....... But Superman is still way better than Spiderman :)

My da would kick Superman's arse back to Krypton.

o1s1n wrote: »
    My da would kick Superman's arse back to Krypton.

Yea but my Da beat up Spiderman and buried him under Ma's Daffodils ( least I think it was Spiderman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Ugh. Everyone has their opinion. They're not fact. :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

mixednuts wrote: »
    Yea but my Da beat up Spiderman and buried him under Ma's Daffodils ( least I think it was Spiderman)

Spiderman/scobe dressed in red and blue pyjamas, it's all the same really isn't it?
    Zarbon wrote: »
    Ugh. Everyone has their opinion. They're not fact. :rolleyes:

Some opinions are more right than others.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Spiderman/scobe dressed in red and blue pyjamas, it's all the same really isn't it?
    LMFAO

Some opinions are more right than Others

yea like mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

i use to own an xbox and found the controllers really good, then i got a ps3 (xbox rrod) and when ever im at a friends house with an xbox and lets say were playing cod, i feel as if im not at one with the controler and i really have to work for my kills,were as with the ps3 im fine . just what i personally noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think it's widely accepted that the 360 controller is superior to the PS3 controller. The original poster is clutching at straws in attempt to prove otherwise. It's like saying Mary Harney is hotter than Angelina Jolie because she has nicer fingernails and isn't as skinny.

Why are you so upset about someone else preferring the Ps3 joypad? You like the Xbox pad and he likes the PS3 one. So what. There is no right answer to which is better and trying to prove it one way or the other just makes you look like a stupid little fanboy.

Qs wrote: »
    Why are you so upset about someone else preferring the Ps3 joypad? You like the Xbox pad and he likes the PS3 one. So what. There is no right answer to which is better and trying to prove it one way or the other just makes you look like a stupid little fanboy.

I think you took my post out of context. I'm not upset in the slightest and if you read my subsequent posts, you will see that. I just feel that the OPs reasons for the PS3 pad being better than the Xbox360 are pretty irrelevant tbh.

The fact that I like the xbox controller is based on the fact that I regularly play both consoles.

The op is stating uncategorically that the PS3 controller is better because it has...

Extended Battery Life - I rarely notice a difference between both tbh
    Extended Range of 20 m - This makes no difference, unless you play games in a cinema
    7 players instead of 4 - Anyone ever play a game with 6 friends in the same room? Anyone?
    Motion Control - A ripoff of the Wii that was tacked on at the last moment, OP calls MS unoriginal
    You can stick stuff to the controller - This is called scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I find these reasons to be rediculous imho. A pad is rated on how good it is at actually playing the game. the same reason why the XBOX pad will, for example, never match the Dreamcast pad for 2-d fighters.

OP do you own both consoles?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I miss the N64 and SNES joypads :p

I find the 360 more comfortable than the PS3 one. Despite never owning an Xbox as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

FutureGuy wrote: »
    7 players instead of 4 - Anyone ever play a game with 6 friends in the same room? Anyone?
    I have! It doesn't work well on Fifa anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i stick you what ive been using since i was 8 years old ps controller is all i need ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

When it comes to argueing against the retro gamers about what pads were better ya may as well be trying to move a mountain.

In their eyes nothing can compare to the NES pads of old that turned your hands into misshapen husks, that's what defined a real man! Not like these comfortable pads we have these days! Made for sissies and men who don't want to ruin their mannicures!

Infinite knowledge is a burden, or so i'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Frequent user of both the 360 and ps3.

I've never understood why people have these shoddy arguments - both pads play fine. Personally I think ps3 controllers are more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Is this still going on. Pretty good comparison video here (also a good series comparing the consoles themselves).

Come on guys, cant we all just agree that games in general are awesome, no matter what you control them with......

Master of the Universe

When it comes to argueing against the retro gamers about what pads were better ya may as well be trying to move a mountain.

When it comes to arguing against the modern 1337 hardcorz gamers about what pads are better ya may as well be trying to move a mountain. :p Half of them haven't even heard of any other consoles bar the Playstation and Xbox, never mind used the pads.
    In their eyes nothing can compare to the NES pads of old that turned your hands into misshapen husks, that's what defined a real man! Not like these comfortable pads we have these days! Made for sissies and men who don't want to ruin their mannicures!

Infinite knowledge is a burden, or so i'm told.

If you don't have stigmata like indent scars on the palms of your hands then you're not a real gamer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

My only issue with the ps3 controllers are the L2 and R2 buttons, they can get awkward at times compared with the 360

I like the ps3 controllers for their low weight and battery though

Also OP, way too much time on your hands

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Also OP, way too much time on your hands

I agree! :)

Here's my 2c as I own both a 360 and a PS3.

I prefer the 360 controller for the following reasons:

* Slightly heavier and deffo sturdier
    * More comfortable to use
    * Dont have to fart around with bluetooth settings to setup headset and it doesnt need seperate batteries.
    * Chat pad is far more user friendly and better positioned than the PS3. In fact the one for the PS3 often gets in the way.
    * 360 chatpad doesnt need to be seperate charged.

The stuff about battery life doesnt bother me, i use rechargeables so i never run out.

If i could use my 360 controller on the PS3 I would.

Is this thread still going on ?

How in hell has it made it to 8 pages ?

Its a discussion that goes along the line of ..."I like Black" , well "I like White"

Never ending !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I was just about to post the same thing.

Colecovision pad is better.

Advertisement