Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what foods are good for you and which are bad

• 26-02-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

i've recently decided to get healthy and I go to the gym regulary but what confuses me is calories.i know that i should burn more calories then i take in to lose weight but iam not so sure which foods i should avoid that are high in calories if i post a variety of foods that i eat fairly regulary (not all in the same day though) could you help to steer me in the right direction

in a given week i may have:
    bowl of cereal-nearly every morning

toast

homemade chicken balti and rice with naan bread - i'm fairly sure this is terrible but i don't have it often

white bread i have sandwhich for lunch daily, have weaned myself onto brown
    in the last few days.

scrambled egg-weekends

beans on toast

potatoes 2 veg and meat (chicken or lamb or beef) is usual dinner with roast spuds and yorkshire puddings at the weekends only

chicken fillet roll onion lettuce mayo

if my parents are busy we just have ssomething quick for dinner like oven chips with chicken nuggets or fish fingers

chipper very rarely

sunday fry sometimes i think that sums up what i might have in a week
    its not what i actually eat in a single week but it's just the possibilities for brekkie lunch and dinner

if you could just help with what is alright and what i should avoid like the plague(i know fries and chipperfood are terrible but thats only every couple of weeks). if you could give me calories for any thing i'd be greatful.i'm trying to figure out a calorie deficit thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Good work on getting the motivation to be healthier. Yes you are right in burning more cals than you take in to lose weight, you can also make better food choices than you currently are also.

Have a read of the stickies, there's good advice in there regarding food choices, working out your daily maintenance cals and come back with any specific questions.

Some good basic advise is to avoid processed foods.
    Learn basic cooking if you don't already.
    Shop around the outside of the supermarket.
    Avoid sugar and white flour products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    in a given week i may have:
    bowl of cereal-nearly every morning - Probably terrible depending on what type of cereal. Almost every cereal from Kellogs or Nestle is loaded with sugar and salt, even if its marketed as healthy. Porridge or scrambled eggs are the standard healthy breakfast reccomendation

toast - Depends on what bread and the amount. White bread has no place in anyones diet and even alot of whole grain breads are made using sugar and white flour. You should be getting some protein in every meal anyway and toast would be nothing but carbs.

homemade chicken balti and rice with naan bread - i'm fairly sure this is terrible but i don't have it often If the sauce is homemade its probably fine, if its out of a jar its normally pretty bad. As you're parents to use brown rice instead of the standard white rice, this digests much slower and gives you a more sustained energy release instead of a spike.

white bread i have sandwhich for lunch daily, have weaned myself onto brown
    in the last few days. - Completely avoid white bread and try limit the amount of brown bread you eat. You want lots of your calories to come from the fillings, not the bread. Fillings should be whole cuts of meat (turkey, chicken breast, roast beef etc. The processed hams and chicken fillings are full of crap.

scrambled egg-weekends - good

beans on toast

potatoes 2 veg and meat (chicken or lamb or beef) is usual dinner with roast spuds and yorkshire puddings at the weekends only - Again, possibly a bit carb heavy, small amounts of potato is grand, get lots of veg into you and the yorkshire pudding is just going to be simple carbs

chicken fillet roll onion lettuce mayo - Do a search on the forum for a thread about these, massive amount of calories, highly processed chicken all wrapped up in white bread

if my parents are busy we just have ssomething quick for dinner like oven chips with chicken nuggets or fish fingers - Any of the processed convenience foods like this are crap, loaded with sugar salt and have all the nutrients removed to make the easier to cook and cheap.
    In short its just what cmyk said, avoid processed foods, they're almost universally sh*te. I'd really recommend learning all about food and nutrition, it can be a bit boring but it doesn't take long and it will let you decide on healthy foods in the future. Here would be the simplest place to start: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091
    f0ggy92 wrote: »
    if you could just help with what is alright and what i should avoid like the plague(i know fries and chipperfood are terrible but thats only every couple of weeks). if you could give me calories for any thing i'd be greatful.i'm trying to figure out a calorie deficit thing
    A site like www.fitday.com will help you keep track of all your foods and it will tell you all the details about them.

Advertisement