Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight.ie irish rankings

• 26-02-2010 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

Does anyone know if or when the rankins will go up on fight.ie

I'm a fan of Irish MMA but I don't really know many of the fighters and the rankings would help me pick what shows I'll go to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

the ranking system is simply a guide.. first on a ranking system does not mean best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I'd completely agree with that, but a guide is all I'd want. The rankings will help me pick what shows I'll pay to go watch. I honestly don't care who is 'best' I have absolutely no allegiance to any fighter I just want to see well matched up fights with both fighters wanting to fight. The rankings will help me as an outsider who doesn’t know really know any fighters either by name or reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

DubMedic wrote: »
    the ranking system is simply a guide.. first on a ranking system does not mean best.

If a fighter does not agree with the ranks above him, the easy way to sort it out is in the ring/cage!!

We are now waiting for 1 of the panel [you know who you are :-)]. It has taken longer than we had guessed it would but is in it's very final stage now. I would hope to have them out before Friday

John

We now have all our results in from our rankings panel!!

The rankings will be published tomorrow morning (and then the bitching can begin:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

NO!! Post them now dont wait till tomorro!! Im not doin anything tonite and wouldnt mind a bit of bitching!

• Advertisement

NO!! Post them now dont wait till tomorro!! Im not doin anything tonite and wouldnt mind a bit of bitching!

I thought you would be busy looking for armbands!! (i have about 30 at the house if you need them)

fightie wrote: »
    I thought you would be busy looking for armbands!! (i have about 30 at the house if you need them)

Ill try to get them off you tomoro.... but never mind that.... the rankings get them up! come on.

almost finished :)

Just waiting for the details for the welterweights!!

Just seen what you have done.
    wow is all i can say.
    How did you come about these rankings?

The one that jumps out at me first is at Bantam.
    1. Niel Seery
    2. Paul McVeigh

Paul is widely regarded as the No1 Bantam in Europe. But is based in Scotland.
    Niel is regarded the No1 Bantam in Ireland. And is based in Ireland.
    Ohhhh who deserves it?

Are the fighters clubs and records going up?

sorry but I don't know most of the names, clubs and records would really help me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

I thought it woz going to be active fighters over the past twelve months???

Where is the likes of Darren Hughes in LW - he beat Alan Hannon recently in Clan Wars (no disrespect Alan should be ranked before some of the others IMO) but how wer fighters merited??

Tks
    Urs
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

cheers guys, this is great. love the website. you guys are really doing irish mma a service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Doesn't Seb Torres only have one pro fight? How can he be ahead of any number of lads at Feather? (no offence to Sebastien who is a very good fighter). Also Richie Moore is in ahead of Mark Leonard, despite Mark beating him and having a better record than him.

Many of those fighters would be considered inactive or retired now too. Can you give us some insight into the methodology for choosing the rankings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I actually thought the guys had got some kind of panel, consisting of Ursula, Cowzer, Mark Leonard, Walker and friends. Was that not the case?

Be interesting to see the WW rankings

I actually thought the guys had got some kind of panel, consisting of Ursula, Cowzer, Mark Leonard, Walker and friends. Was that not the case?.........

I ended up not being involved in the panel however I would have thought as it was a "panel" they may have discussed these rankings before they wer posted/ placed between them! If not this way surely there wer guidelines/ structure and what wer they!

Im just confused on how justification is given for some of those ranked against others:confused:

These "rankings" could be picked up by the likes of the UFC who scrutinise these kinda things and to me they are not a true and accruate reflection of Irish MMA (IMO).

Urs
    x

Doesn't Seb Torres only have one pro fight? How can he be ahead of any number of lads at Feather? (no offence to Sebastien who is a very good fighter). Also Richie Moore is in ahead of Mark Leonard, despite Mark beating him and having a better record than him.

Many of those fighters would be considered inactive or retired now too. Can you give us some insight into the methodology for choosing the rankings?

Glad the bitching has begun so promptly

Of the 7 folk who agreed to take part we got results back from:

Dave Jones
    Peter Lavery
    Mark Leonard
    Paul Cowzer

Each was asked to send their top 10 for each weight category.

10 points was awarded for a 1st place rank, 9 for a second, 8 for a third etc

so if 3 of the judges picked neil seery as the top and one judge picked him second, he was awared 39 points etc... they are then ranked by the number of points on that system,

This is merely a starting point, from here people will move up and down the list based on their future performances and as with all rankings not everybody is going to agree but theres an easy solution, fight and beat the guy you think you should be ahead of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

generally..some of those rankings appear to be ''dubious'' to say the least..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Glad the bitching has begun so promptly

That's what ranking are for right? ;)

Anyway, who is this Roddy character and what he is doing ahead of me?!:mad:

I'm guessing that Paul McVeigh is in second place because some of the guys on the panel forgot about him. With respect to Neil, who is a great fighter, if Paul is on that list at all he should be at the top of it.
    This is merely a starting point, from here people will move up and down the list based on their future performances and as with all rankings not everybody is going to agree but theres an easy solution, fight and beat the guy you think you should be ahead of.

Fair play to you for going to the bother of doing this BTW. A lot of the fighters on the list have beaten fighters ahead of them. Ben Davis has beaten Pete Wilson. Alan Hannon has beaten Begely. Darren Highes beat Alan recently but isn't in the top ten at all. Mark Leonard has beaten a few of the lads above him.

But I wonder should beating a guy automatically mean you should be above them anyway? Should it not also depend on how active a fighter was, or the other opponents he has beaten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

Youve hit the nail on the head tim

I'm not saying it's easy, but maybe the process is flawed? Like Tim said I would assume Paul McVeigh would be the number one Irish bantam, but then he's not active in ireland really so is it fair on the others who fight each other regularly that he's in at all?

I think before this list is accurate there'll have to be some revision! Maybe the panel should consult each other a bit? Darren Hughes being off the list is a travesty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TAZ EFR

well i think the bantams are spot on, sept paul shouldnt be in them hes at a hole other level, hes number 1 in europe and pritty untouchable...
    u could say the same about greg in the light weights hes fightin in america now, nobody here is gonna get the chance to fight them....
    tho i wud like to see a rematch between neil and paul!!!!

i dont agree with people thats are in the rankings deciding were others go in the rankings!!!!

I agree with Roddy no1!!!! but
    The feathers are a bit dodgy!!! tim is above kevin mc tho kevin is ranked so highly in europe, and fights at a much higer level!!!!!
    also i think i should be in the fly and the feather weights top ten, ive beat kearny, morris and tim whos at no2????, im more active than most fighters, with 27 pro fights... sum of these guys fight twice a year, with hand picked easy fights, so they can win there so called Irish titles!!!

Don't hold back there Steve, tell us what you really think!!!! :D

TAZ EFR wrote: »
    well i think the bantams are spot on, sept paul shouldnt be in them hes at a hole other level, hes number 1 in europe and pritty untouchable...
    u could say the same about greg in the light weights hes fightin in america now, nobody here is gonna get the chance to fight them....
    tho i wud like to see a rematch between neil and paul!!!!

i dont agree with people thats are in the rankings deciding were others go in the rankings!!!!

I agree with Roddy no1!!!! but
    The feathers are a bit dodgy!!! tim is above kevin mc tho kevin is ranked so highly in europe, and fights at a much higer level!!!!!
    also i think i should be in the fly and the feather weights top ten, ive beat kearny, morris and tim whos at no2????, im more active than most fighters, with 27 pro fights... sum of these guys fight twice a year, with hand picked easy fights, so they can win there so called Irish titles!!!

Cracker!!! I love rankings they get people so heated!! lol

Of the 7 folk who agreed to take part we got results back from:

Dave Jones
    Peter Lavery
    Mark Leonard
    Paul Cowzer

Can you name the other 3 who didn't bother to contribute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Pretty much everybody fights more often than me so I'd have no problem with Kevin or anybody else being put ahead of me based on that.

Now Steve, I know you're not talking about me because I fought your team mate in my last fight. :eek:

At the end of the day rankings are just peoples opinions... IMO anybody getting a bee in their bonnet about where they are on them must be a wee bit insecure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

lol you tell them Steve, stupid ranking panel trying to decide rankings when all they......hey wait a minute! I'm on the ranking panel!

I know when I was trying to rank you Steve, I figured to just put a fighter in one category or the other, in hindsight in some cases, like yours that may not have been the right course.

We debated this months back when the rankings were first announced that the first cut you have just seen was little more than our opinions given a public forum, people will and should disagree all they like.
    sum of these guys fight twice a year, with hand picked easy fights, so they can win there so called Irish titles!!!

Who are you talking about here? It seems like its directed at Tim or one of the Featherweights, Tim is not Irish champion he is intergalactic champion fyi.

His opponents are hardly hand picked when they are coming out of your gym now are they?

I agree with most of what you said, but throwing a personal attack in at the end irks me greatly, its not really called for.

Also for the sake of hilarity continue not to spell check - I want to hear more about Paul McVeigh's hole's other level ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

I'm a bit confused here, is Stevie complaining cos he isn't ranked in the top 10 in all 3 divisions (Bantam, feather & fly) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

stevemc01 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused here, is Stevie complaining cos he isn't ranked in the top 10 in all 3 divisions (Bantam, feather & fly) ?
    3rd at BW

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Hugh Brady should be in the top 10

• Advertisement

kevin is ranked so highly in europe

Where can i find these rankings? I have tried with no joy?

Where can i find these rankings? I have tried with no joy?

Cancel that request, just been shown the way!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Cancel that request, just been shown the way!!!:D

Can you tell me how to find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

i think its great, i'm ranked 2nd and can't remember the last time i fought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

kid chaos wrote: »
    3rd at BW

Yeah I know he is ranked 3 at BW , but from my reading of his post(I could be wrong) he is pissed off cos he thinks he should be ranked in the top 10 in ALL 3 of the weight classes, (BW, Feather and Fly).

Lots of people use this website for the European rankings.
    But it is like any other rankings. Needs kept to be up to date by promoters and coaches. Many times ive found it to be flawed.

http://www.groundandpound.de/mma/rankings/

• Advertisement

.........as far as i was aware you were asked to be included on the panel but failed to submit

I hadnt heard anything from the panel since well before Xmas - my category was Lightweight (which wud be one of my favourites) and within days I had drawn up "perspective" fighters. However I had discussed with other members on the panel how best forward this was going to which I was told that we'd have some kind of discussion as it was going to prove very hard to justify "picking" our own.

I had also wanted some clarification from promoters as to which category they felt their fighter should be ranked.

Dont get me wrong I think rankings are never gonna best please everyone but I just find some of these "wrong", how do we move forward from this without causing undue offence to ppl - Im afraid I dont have the answer:(

As for Darren Hughes well he wud definately been in mine - Ive watched this guy fight over the years and he is one of the unsung warriors (with dodgy ears lol). Wer is the likes of Hugh Brady????

Urs
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

I thought Mick Leonard was retired?

Maybe Ireland doesn't have enough fighters to justify a top 10?

Shane, The

The Shane wrote: »
    ......Maybe Ireland doesn't have enough fighters to justify a top 10?

Shane, The

Good point Shane maybe not all the categories altho from Bantam to Middleweight we have the talent (IMO):)

By no means should this country be underestimated in MMA talent we have talent ranked within Europe!!!!

I would love to see one all Ireland Fight Team unified to travel to Europe and USA to highten our profile!!!

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan Roddy

Some the ranking seems pretty deadon but In the lightweight division I would have thought Darren Hughes would be up there.

Considering ( I think but might not be completely accurate) he has 2 wins over Martin Begley? and 1 win and 1 draw with Alan Hannon, and he has fought all over the UK and ireland, like he beat Graham Turner who many considered the top lightweight in Scotland.

Also he has more positive record than alot of the guys in the list? Still cool idea generating interest over on cage warriors aswell

Advertisement