Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chirping smoke alarm

• 26-02-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi all
    can anyone help me??? kitchen smoke alarm...wired to mains electricity started chirping last night...how do i stop it...it's driving me insane!!!:mad: do they have a battery if they are wired to the mains? will i need to replace the whole thing...really need to stop it...please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

the have a battery too incase the mains fail...replace it and it'll stop

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The battery is low. It a normal 9v battery. Just replace that & it will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

hi guys
    thanks a million...will try that tomorrow need to borrow step ladder cant reach now ceilings to high. just have to put up with it for another night.
    neither me nor the dog is impressed lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

if you have other smoke alarms in the house replace the batteries also as the alarms are interlinked and possibly installed at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is interesting. How do you change this. Looking up at mine it says. Unclip and slide. How in the hell do you unclip it.

Any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are a few different types . Going by your description ...
    Is there a small slot that a terminal screw driver will fit into?
    If so push that in & slide the unit off the base away from the side that slot is on.
    If I have the wrong unit maybe post a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya change the lot at the same time if possible

make sure you fit the right battery like a duracell ultra or they may continue beeping(it happens)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yeah I have the EI141 model I done this I also googled this model and managed to get the booklet. There is 4 catches I managed to break one some how. Its back together fine. Now that I know how to do it will add it to my next amazon bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

they're very common the ei 141 (standard ionization alarm)

screwdriver into slot and they slide out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MAC3663

I've been struggling with this since 4a.m. but can answer your query.
    You must turn off the mains switch electricity. All the electric is off yet the monster still keeps chirping.
    Near and above where it says unclip and slide there is a slot where you are instructed to push in a screwdriver. Freaky! However when you push inwards and up it releases a plastic clip. On the flat side there are 4 (domino pattern) plastic hooks -which is why they instruct you to slide. You only need to move it slightly ( am afraid mine flew off as I pushed firmly) be ready to grab the top as it flies off. You need a 9v oblong battery and take care to match the + and - terminals. Then replace the top. It clips easily into place. Press the test button and it will blast out. Turn on the electric mains switch and you are in for a peaceful night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

MAC3663 wrote: »
    I've been struggling with this since 4a.m. but can answer your query.
    You must turn off the mains switch electricity. All the electric is off yet the monster still keeps chirping.
    Near and above where it says unclip and slide there is a slot where you are instructed to push in a screwdriver. Freaky! However when you push inwards and up it releases a plastic clip. On the flat side there are 4 (domino pattern) plastic hooks -which is why they instruct you to slide. You only need to move it slightly ( am afraid mine flew off as I pushed firmly) be ready to grab the top as it flies off. You need a 9v oblong battery and take care to match the + and - terminals. Then replace the top. It clips easily into place. Press the test button and it will blast out. Turn on the electric mains switch and you are in for a peaceful night.

welcome to boards mac3663
    but i hope he is not waiting since feb 2010 to resolve this;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    welcome to boards mac3663
    but i hope he is not waiting since feb 2010 to resolve this;)

PMSL.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MAC3663

I hope they aren't waiting too.
    However I stumbled into this, yesterday by searching for a solution myself. Have a good day!:D

Advertisement