Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat Estate Trendline 1.6 TDI 105 BHP

• 26-02-2010 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Thinking of trading in my golf for a passat estate. Need the extra room.

Anybody got any opinions on this version of the passat estate? Is it a good car?

Would the 1.6L engine be enough for this estate?

I am only tip around town so don't really put up the miles. I don't really go on long trips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I have read about an argument about going for a petrol car rather then a diesel for the short trips and low mileage per year.

Maybe someone who knows about it could shed some light on that.

The 1.6 TDI is a latest generation TDI so I have a good feeling that it would be perfectly fine for the car. Maybe not the fastest but it doesnt sound like that is an aim for you. Id say its perfect. If there is a bluemotion option Id look into that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

paultf wrote: »

Anybody got any opinions on this version of the passat estate? Is it a good car?

I am only tip around town so don't really put up the miles. I don't really go on long trips.

The Trendline is the very basic model of the Passat. It's still got A/C, but missing the Armrest, Chrome around the windows and Alloys (unless they've upspecced it for 2010). If you don't mind basic specification then it's OK. Comfortline would be the better bet.

I'm driving a long term demo of the 1.6Tdi Passat Saloon at the moment and that is fairly good for what I use it for (Motorway commuting), and would probably be adequate and frugal around town. Whether short jouneys would cause issues with the DPF, I'm not sure.

I haven't driven the estate, but I've spoken to someone who does the same job as me who has, and he says it's not powerful enough to move the additional weight of the estate.

Would the Octavia Estate be big enough? Should be a bit lighter than the Passat so might perform better, and you should get a higher spec for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The 1.6TDi isnt really enough in the Estate. The estate is just too heavy for it. I'd stretch for the 2.9TDi if at all possible, or else look at something else....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks for the replies. As you probably guessed I don't know much about cars :)

I had a look at the Skoda website and I can get the following:
    Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9 TDi PD/77kW 105 BHP for around 22,740 euro incl. delivery and metallic paint.

A base VW Passat Estate 1.6 TDI is around 26,500 euro. (This price doesn't incl. metallic paint - not sure about the delivery.)

The Octavia estate seems to have the better spec. Would this be a better option compared to the VW Passat Estate?

Do Skoda have a good name? I know VW own them now and that the Skoda Octiva Estate is based on the Golf. And I think alot of the parts that make up the Skoda are sourced from VW and Audi.

I have my current golf for 9 years and I only use it for tipping around town. The odd long journey. If I was to plunge for the Skoda Octiva Estate would I get such a good run i.e. 10 years????

Thanks.

The 1.6TDi isnt really enough in the Estate. The estate is just too heavy for it. I'd stretch for the 2.9TDi if at all possible, or else look at something else....

Jeez, you must have been hungover :p
    Thanks for the replies. As you probably guessed I don't know much about cars :)

I had a look at the Skoda website and I can get the following:
    Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9 TDi PD/77kW 105 BHP for around 22,740 euro incl. delivery and metallic paint.

A base VW Passat Estate 1.6 TDI is around 26,500 euro. (This price doesn't incl. metallic paint - not sure about the delivery.)

The Octavia estate seems to have the better spec. Would this be a better option compared to the VW Passat Estate?

Do Skoda have a good name? I know VW own them now and that the Skoda Octiva Estate is based on the Golf. And I think alot of the parts that make up the Skoda are sourced from VW and Audi.

I have my current golf for 9 years and I only use it for tipping around town. The odd long journey. If I was to plunge for the Skoda Octiva Estate would I get such a good run i.e. 10 years????

Thanks.

The engine is the same unit in the Passat and the Octavia. The majority of parts used would be the same, except the body and interior trim. The Octavia would be a bit smaller than the Passat, but it's worth looking at to see if it meets your needs.

I see no reason an Octavia wouldn't last 10 years. You might also want to have a look at the Kia C'eed SW. Similar size to the Octavia, but comes with Kia's 7 year warranty to give you peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

We had a 1.9D (105 bhp) in 2006 for 3 years. way too underpowered for the car. Great if you REALLY need tonnes of leg room in the back, but otherwise, I'd look at a smaller estate car. Passats are very big and heavy. we really went off ours.

If you really need that much space, and don't care about driving dynamics at all, and don't mind shoehorning it into spaces around town, then it's OK. you will feel indestructable in it. We called it the PANZER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What price does the Skoda Superb estate start at? Surely it is not that more than the Passat estate? If space is a must then maybe the Superb is an option.

Thanks for your replies.

Another silly Q :)

Had a look at Passat Estate, Skoda Octavia Estate, Kia cee'd SW and the Hydundai i30 cross wagon.

The boot size on Hydundai is too small. The Kia didn't get great reviews on the web.

Price wise (and review wise) the Skoda seems the better option. When I say I need extra space I really mean in the boot - for transporting 3 dogs. The Skoda has the biggest boot of the 4 above: 580L. (The Passat is 513L.)

I don't really want a 'monster' of a car so that rules out the Skoda Superb (price wise too). Plus the Octavia Estate is based on the golf so might be smaller in size and maybe easier to drive????

The difference between a 1.6TDI CR/77 KW/105 BHP classic and a 1.9TDI PD/77 KW/105 BHP ambiente in the Skoda Octavia is about 1,500 euro. The 1.6 TDI version (according to the website) is more efficent. Do you think I should go for the 1.9 or would the 1.6 suffice? Would I need the extra power of the 1.9? (Primarily I will only be using it for driving around town - maybe a few long trips in the year. With my current 2001 golf for example, I only have 45,000 miles on it.)

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It sounds like the 1.6TDi shound be fine for you so.

The 1.6 is a common rail and the 1.9 is a PD. The PD has more whack in the lower rev range but lacks anything decent at the later stages of it.

The common rail has more even power across the rev range but you miss the whack that the PD would give you.

Still though, the 1.6 seems pretty fine for what you need.

• Advertisement

OP do you really need a diesel then? Sounds to me like you don't. If you do low mileage and mostly city driving then may a diesel is a waste of money for you as you will not make back the price difference at the pump.

The Octavia Combi is also available with the new 1.2 TSi petrol engine which also has 105bhp and also costs €156 to tax per year. There is almost €3k difference between an Octavia 1.2 TSi and a 1.6 TDi Ambiente. If I were in your shoes and doing your kind of driving I would be looking at the 1.2 TSi with the extra creature comforts of the Elegance trim over the 1.6 TDi in Ambiente trim.

Maybe you should test drive both though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Good suggestion, the 1.2TSi Octavia should be in dealers in the next 2 weeks and it would be well worth a test drive, by the book it should do 50mpg average which is extremely efficient for a petrol car, and the turbo means it should be no slouch, 6 speed too, which neither the 1.6 or 1.9 diesels are

All, thanks for the replies. You have been really helpful. I have learned a huge amount thru this thread.

bazz26, Zonda999,

So with my low mileage and basically tipping around town, the 1.2 TSI might be my better option.

Would the 1.2 TSI be powerful enough for a Octavia Estate? What about hills or the odd time I do go up to Dublin on the motorway? Would the 1.6 TDI not be a safer option?

Or is it a case that in the long run the 1.2 TSI would be a better option?

Thanks again.

You may have already said but how heavy a load would you be carrying in the car?

I have been in a 1.4 TSI car and its a nippy fecker, Id just wonder if the 1.2 could cope with the weight.

In terms of motorway use, Id say it will be fine on the motor way. It will get you up to speed alright. The gearbox will probably be designed to help with that. Overtaking or times when you need a bit of go go may be an issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Load would be fairly light: me (most of the time) + 3 cocker spaniels in the boot! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

R.O.R wrote: »
    Jeez, you must have been hungover :p

The engine is the same unit in the Passat and the Octavia. The majority of parts used would be the same, except the body and interior trim. The Octavia would be a bit smaller than the Passat, but it's worth looking at to see if it meets your needs.

I see no reason an Octavia wouldn't last 10 years. You might also want to have a look at the Kia C'eed SW. Similar size to the Octavia, but comes with Kia's 7 year warranty to give you peace of mind.

I drive an Octavia Estate (Combi) with the 1.9TDi engine. fine car and probably roomier in the rear seat area than a Passat.

On the weight issue of estate V saloon, my car weighs a "whopping" 20kg more than the equivelent Octavia hatch, unless you're going to load the estates boot with iron bars packed to the ceiling, the 1.6tdi is strong enough, on paper it has the same power as the 1.9tdi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

1.2 TSI is your friend. There is really no reason for you to buy a diesel with the low mileage you will be doing. However, The TSI is a new type engine and has not been tested over a 10 year period (like you want to keep it for) then again neither has the 1.6TDI.
    The 1.9 has been around for a good while and is tried and tested.
    As R.O.W. said, you will have DPF issues with a diesel car that does little or low milage over that period of time.
    It is on this basis that if I were in your shoes, I would pick the 1.2 TSI. The TSI engines are frugal, and cheap to run (low tax too).
    you should test drive all versions of course and meke you decision then.
    My 2c.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    on paper it has the same power as the 1.9tdi.

On paper it has the same max power and torque figures as the 1.9Tdi, but it delivers it in a different part of the rev range. This makes quite a big difference to the driving charachteristics of the car.

It does sound like the 1.2Tsi might be the best for the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

I am a bit late coming to this thread but I have driven the 1.6TDI Passat.

The engine is quiet and very smoothe. But the turbo kicks in at 2500 revs. The lag is terrible for an overtake. Once you get it in higher revs it is fine but change gear up and you feel the sudden loss of power and the wait to get going again. It only has 5 gears and feels like it needs a sixth for the long stretch.

I was in the comfortline and the spec is lovely with park sensors front and rear as standard.

Not sure it is a feature of the passats but I could not feel the road through the steering wheel at all. Did'nt feel connected and I did'nt like the drive. With the bluemotion engine you cannot rev over 2500 revs at the lights so no racing will be allowed courtesy of VW.

Damien360 wrote: »

The engine is quiet and very smoothe. But the turbo kicks in at 2500 revs. The lag is terrible for an overtake. Once you get it in higher revs it is fine but change gear up and you feel the sudden loss of power and the wait to get going again.

The price you pay for €104 road tax i'm afraid. A friend who sells Skoda though, was telling me he was talking to a few people who had gone from 1.9tdi Octavia's to 1.6tdi's and the 1.6 is "much" more economical. Its the same reason the old 1.9tdi octavia with only 105 bhp on tap felt faster than the focus with the PSA 110bhp 1.6TDCi engine

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    As R.O.W. said, you will have DPF issues with a diesel car that does little or low milage over that period of time.

Thanks cadaliac (and everyone) for the replies.

BTW, what does "DPF issues with a diesel car" mean?

Thanks cadaliac (and everyone) for the replies.

BTW, what does "DPF issues with a diesel car" mean?
    Diesel Particulate Fiilter .They're getting more and more common on diesels. so it would seem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

cadaliac wrote: »
    The 1.9 has been around for a good while and is tried and tested.

+1

The TSI being a direct injection engine will be prone to carbon build ups very quickly if the car is used on stop start runs, I must say I have never heard of the smaller FSI/TSI engines giving trouble(bar the 170 PS 1.4 turbo one) though with carbon build ups, there has been trouble in the US with them but they use lower octane fuel than we do and direct injection petrols get carbon build up when low octane fuel is used.

The old 1.9 TDI is the best engine for the OP, it has been around for donkey's years and we all know it is bulletproof. There's no DPF to worry about either. The other 2 engines are brand new and unproven, the 1.9 comes from a time when VW quality was impeccable(and being an old engine is not very complicated, meaning that there is less to go wrong).

In spite of the issues with the 1.2 TSI being a direct injection I would still go for it over the 1.6 TDI, it can't be that highly strung if it has 105 PS(some NA 1.2s get over 80) so the turbo is very unlikely to give trouble unless you drive it like a boy racer, 3,500 is a lot of money and the diesel will have DPF problems but also DMF problems down the line. I'd try and fill it up with E5 though, direct injection petrols need high octane fuel to reduce carbon build up.

Thanks for all your replies. Its been really helpful.

I spent all w/e researching the Skoda 1.2 TSI. With trade in, I can get the Classic for 16,000 euro or the Elegence for 18,500 euro.

Then I came across a 2nd hand August 2007 VW Passat B6 VAR 1.6 FSI 115BHP 1.6L. With my trade in, I can get this for 12,500 euro.

Now I am wondering :confused: Would this 2nd hand Passat be a better deal? What do you think? If I am only tipping around town would the 1.6 FSI be good enough? Would a 1.6 FSI be able to cope with a "heavy" Passat?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I spent all w/e researching the Skoda 1.2 TSI. With trade in, I can get the Classic for 16,000 euro or the Elegence for 18,500 euro.

Then I came across a 2nd hand August 2007 VW Passat B6 VAR 1.6 FSI 115BHP 1.6L. With my trade in, I can get this for 12,500 euro.

Now I am wondering :confused: Would this 2nd hand Passat be a better deal? What do you think? If I am only tipping around town would the 1.6 FSI be good enough? Would a 1.6 FSI be able to cope with a "heavy" Passat?

Thanks.

Take into account road tax over the period you own the car and the new car with a nice warranty and fresh smell might just work out cheaper. Isn't the 1.2 tsi €104 road tax? Even at €156 that's about €3k saved over 10 years there, plus the Octavia has better economy, probably lower insurance etc.

My uncle had a 1.6 FSi Passat saloon, he found it very slugish and he drives like Miss Daisy's butler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Head on up north or over the water and buy a new one

NEW Skoda Octavia Estate 1.2 TSI 105bhp S 5dr

£12,000stg

http://www.autofinders.co.uk/car_list.php?openID=13&makeID=18&modelID=13

Head on up north or over the water and buy a new one

NEW Skoda Octavia Estate 1.2 TSI 105bhp S 5dr

£12,000stg

http://www.autofinders.co.uk/car_list.php?openID=13&makeID=18&modelID=13

Don't forget that you have to add VAT as well as VRT on a new imported car down here. The OP also has a trade-in so I don't think he will save a great deal by importing.

I dont think any car is going to like short short hops about town. Id say they would need a fair trip once in a while to get the cobwebs out.

You are faced with choice of a few good engines and possibly a bad one.

The 1.6 TDI is the newest technology diesel. It hasnt been proven and it is a bit of a mystery for most of us.

The 1.9 and 2.0 TDI (PD TDI) are tried and tested technology, the 1.9 more so.

The petrol TSI's are new and the 1.2 seems downright tiny. It may have the same power but I have no idea about the torque.

At best what you have from this thread is a list of cars to go test.
    Out of all the engines I suppose my personal preference is the 1.9 TDI.
    I have an older less powerful one in a Golf estate and its grand. Not a bother.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

What are you trading.

The new 1.2tsi basic model is only €16,900 new here before scrappage

Thanks again for the replies.

Erren Music,

I am trading a 2001 VW Golf 1.4 with 45,000 miles. Initially I got a quote for a Octavia Estate 1.6 TDI and the dealership were offering me 3,500 euro to 4,000 euro for my Golf over the phone - but only after they see it obviously.

Going to drive the Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI tomorrow to see what the 1.2 TSI is like. Also hoping to see a Skoda Octavia Scout which should give me the layout of the Octavia Estate.

At this point I am kinda leaning towards the 1.2TSI. Just have to make up my mind about whether to save some dosh with the Classic (basic) model or go for the Elegance model.

Anybody any info. on the Elegance model? Is it worth going for?

Erren Music,

I am trading a 2001 VW Golf 1.4 with 45,000 miles. Initially I got a quote for a Octavia Estate 1.6 TDI and the dealership were offering me 3,500 euro to 4,000 euro for my Golf over the phone - but only after they see it obviously.

Going to drive the Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI tomorrow to see what the 1.2 TSI is like. Also hoping to see a Skoda Octavia Scout which should give me the layout of the Octavia Estate.

At this point I am kinda leaning towards the 1.2TSI. Just have to make up my mind about whether to save some dosh with the Classic (basic) model or go for the Elegance model.

I was looking at the volvo v50, i have another thread on it at the moment but it got hijacked by the "dont buy in uk posse".

If the car is only €16,900 new (ex met and ex delivery), not sure how much extra the estate is, there will be about 4,000 euro off this for scrappage, so thats not a good deal you are getting. Sell the golf privately or scrap it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Erren Music,

Elegance basically gets leather multifunction wheel, climate control, parking sensors, bluetooth, decent stereo, alloys, better interior trim, electric folding mirrors. I would go for it, especially if you plan on keeping it a long time. May as well get some enjoyment out of them

EPM wrote: »
    Elegance basically gets leather multifunction wheel, climate control, parking sensors, bluetooth, decent stereo, alloys, better interior trim, electric folding mirrors. I would go for it, especially if you plan on keeping it a long time. May as well get some enjoyment out of them
    The ambiente now gets the leather multifunction steering wheel as standard now alright, since 2010 basically

Not sure if the Elegance would be worth the additional cash, but I'd at least go up to the Ambiente trim to get A/C - for that 1 day when you, the whole family and the dogs are stuck in the mother of all traffic jams on the M50. That additional €1,000 (or whatever) will be worth it for that moment alone - you'll turn on the A/C, get the car down to a lovely 17 degrees and think "Thank You R.O.R" ;-)

• Advertisement

Rang 4 dealers over the w/e - 2 wouldn't give me a quote as the TSI is not available yet. The other 2 dealers gave me a list price of 21,700 euro for a Skoda Octavia Estate 1.2 TSI.

So I visited both dealers today....

At the first dealers I drove a Yeti 1.2 TSI. Seemed to have amble power. Had a look at the estate - good boot size. Dealer quoted me 17,300 incl. delivery + metallic paint + mud flaps + floor mats - that included trading in my 2001 VW Golf 45,000 miles.

2nd dealer same deal. Initally he quoted me 18,300 euro. Then he said he would give me 17,300 + boot divider for the dogs (140 euro) + a customised rubber mat for the boot (60 euro) [very handy if transporting dogs] + delivery + metallic paint + mud flaps + floor mats.

Leaning towards 2nd deal, partly because of the extras but mainly because that dealership is 20 miles closer to me.

Do you think its a good deal?

(Also the "backplate" on my Golf is broken and my exhaust is making funny sounds. I had the mechanic look at it & and it said it should hold.)

One of my siblings is telling me to stick with my Golf & that I'll get another 5 years out of it!

Another is saying get a 2nd hand car!

Another probably thinks cause I am overweight I should use my bike more & train the dogs to run behind!!! :)

Advertisement