Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Jeano" C&C

• 27-02-2010 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

I've started doing photostories as opposed to clipped street shots ..
    any feedback welcome.

4388069182_eaa00ebc15.jpg

4387309389_b05bcd6c5d.jpg

4387310753_3142aea78f.jpg

THE STORY

I came across ‘Jeano’ down a back alley I was short cutting through, I was going to walk on by as I had to be somewhere else. What stopped me was the nervous way he looked at me striding towards him, this was a man who was evidently upset. I stopped, said hello and reassured him I was only a photographer and asked could I take his picture. He never stopped scanning the street. I asked him if he was ok and got some of his story.

He had just been jumped around the corner and given a kicking by a bunch of teenagers and showed me his left eye and cheek which was just starting to swell up. He told me his name was Jean, like the French for John, but most people called him Jeano.. that he lived in a shelter. He relaxed and opened up when I offered him a cigarette. Still trembling he took it.

It’s not right he exclaimed, I’m 58, I don’t deserve this (treatment from a bunch of delinquent teenagers), life is hard enough. We chatted more about the area, how attitudes have changed, he was obviously educated from his eloquence before circumstance and the drink brought him to that alley that day. I left after a short while trying to keep my appointment. I’ve not seen Jeano around in last few weeks, even though I have covered the same turf a few times.

HP5+ Developed in Xtol. Nikon F80 with 50mm F1.4D (30.01.2010)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Have you ever seen Eugene Richards' work? He mixes writing and documentary images beautifully. It might be worth your while looking at his stuff if you haven't seen it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

great story to go with these great shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

sineadw wrote: »
    Have you ever seen Eugene Richards' work? He mixes writing and documentary images beautifully. It might be worth your while looking at his stuff if you haven't seen it already.

thanks for this ,will look him up, never heard of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Simplicius wrote: »
    thanks for this ,will look him up, never heard of him

There are plenty of his images online, but it's only when you have the words and the shots together (Which will mean getting the books I think) that you really get how good he is. I'm infatuated with him at the moment :)

Advertisement