Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon lens advice needed

• 27-02-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all. I am a beginner in photography and do it only for my own pleasure :D
    I have a nice canon 500D Camera with kit lens.

I was doing some experimenting for a few month now, and I really don't like the quality the lens delivers.

Now, I was thinking of getting a good 24-105 L lens because I am planning to stay in photgraphy for life and will eventually upgrade to a good camera. So, a good lens will never harm, I thought.

Then I watched a video review of this lens on you tube. The man said on cropped sensor DSLRs 24-105 lens will not deliver a wide angle, and will only work starting at ~38mm. Is this true?
    If it is, I was looking at an alternative of canon 17-85. Will this lens deliver wide angle? I won't be able to do every day general photgraphy without wide angle functionality..

So, all in all, need an advice for a good general purpose lens that will do both wide angle and a small zoom.

Sorry about the lengthy post, and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The kit lens deilivers at around f8, if you can use it on a tripod at this aperture you will see a marked difference than wide open at f3.5 or f5.6 depending on you focal length. I have seen some really nice stuff out of a kit lens at its optimal aperture.

If you want to get something new and shiny get yourself a 17-55 f2.8 IS

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

Thanks for your advice bordefox.
    What about 17-85? Would you recommend it? Will it deliver a wide angle on a cropped sensor 500d?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Its a really nice lens, wide open a lot of lenses wont perform to their best (even the L lenses) but it will be good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

You could go with a sigma 10 - 20mm,would be plenty wide. Keep an eye on adverts.ie if your buying second hand. Dont have it myself but plan on getting one soonish. Also check those lens on flickr groups with your cam to see what results they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I got one of THESE second-hand on donedeal.ie after a good deal of research. Some claim it's an L lens without the stripe. The quality is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

php-fox wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice bordefox.
    What about 17-85? Would you recommend it? Will it deliver a wide angle on a cropped sensor 500d?

At 17mm it's equivalent to 28mm on a full frame/35mm camera. It can be a bit soft at 17mm, even stopped down to f/11 or more. And I find it has noticeable barrel distortion at the widest point.

That 17-55 f/2.8 would be really nice although it's a lot more expensive.

Advertisement