Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!! guinea pig scratched herself raw!

Options
  • 27-02-2010 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

help!!
    my guinea pig had a blister of some sort on her back and the yesterday before i brought her to the vet it burst or she scratched it off. im not sure.
    the vet said to put some sudocream on it but now she is after scratching it raw and it is bleeding a little. she began shrieking a little because it was hurting her what should i do for her until the vet opens tomorrow morning??? i cant put anything on it as its too raw but i dont want it to get infected?!
    please help!!
    thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

god that sounds awful, poor little fella.

I dont know what to do, but if i were you id put a load of sudo cream on and wrap bandage wrap all the way around its body.

Poor thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sounds like sarcoptic mange to me. But the vet should test for that and can tell you for sure. Maybe giving her a bath in some warm water, with no soap or shampoo, might sooth it a little. And then very gently dry her with a towel and keep her in the warmth until she dries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Warm salt water is all you should use right now.
    Then go to the gorgeous guineas website straight away and contact them for treatment that will help.
    But do take the piggy to the vets as well just to see if it's fungal, mites or an abcess.

Not sure if sudocreme is safe to use on pigs stick with the salted water for now.

Advertisement