Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding stuff in food that shouldn't be there

Options
  • 27-02-2010 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

I was eating a piece of chicken for my dinner tonight when I cut into it and in the middle of it there was a piece of blue plastic (looks like a piece of plastic glove people wear in factories for H&S). I've sent an email to the company. I was wondering what my rights are? Does the company have to get back to me? Anyone have a similar experience and what was your outcome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I know someone who sent chocolate back to Nestle because it had "what appeared to be little worm holes" in it. It was an Aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

gobo99 wrote: »
    I know someone who sent chocolate back to Nestle because it had "what appeared to be little worm holes" in it. It was an Aero.

..this isnit AH...we're more anal here!!!!

Jane29 wrote: »
    I was eating a piece of chicken for my dinner tonight when I cut into it and in the middle of it there was a piece of blue plastic (looks like a piece of plastic glove people wear in factories for H&S). I've sent an email to the company. I was wondering what my rights are? Does the company have to get back to me? Anyone have a similar experience and what was your outcome?
    sounds to me like entrapped packaging....the fact that the plastic was blue shows the company were employing best practice.

I wouldnt expect a field day regarding compo on this. Keep all info on the box...it should have the LOT number..or julian printed somewhere to ID batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

you wont get any money but notifying them is the right thing to do

there is an acceptable level of contaniments which can be quite shocking im afraid

PeakOutput wrote: »
    you wont get any money but notifying them is the right thing to do

there is an acceptable level of contaniments which can be quite shocking im afraid
    ehhh...no theres not!!!!!!!!!
    Theres contaminants that are likely....but certainly not contaminants that are acceptable!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Big J

Complain to the Food Safety Authority if you don't get a satisfactory response from the manufacturer.

http://www.fsai.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I found a hard chunk of plastic in a bag of crisps and nearly cracked my tooth. I sent it back and they sent me a voucher for €10 and told me it was part of the machine.

To be honest the only reason I contacted them was I was concerned if someone could have chocked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I presume you have the same rights as you have with all goods, i.e. it must be as described and fit for purpose, amongst others.

Legally the company doesn't have to communicate with you or do anything for you at all since you didn't buy it from them. It's the retailer who sold it to you who is legally required to remedy the situation by offering you a repair (not possible in this case), replacement or refund.

However no food company wants food safety investigations or bad press associated with their brands so it's in their best interests to keep you fairly happy. If you want an apology from the company and some freebies then a letter of complaint with photo and packaging details should do the trick.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I presume you have the same rights as you have with all goods, i.e. it must be as described and fit for purpose, amongst others.

Legally the company doesn't have to communicate with you or do anything for you at all since you didn't buy it from them. It's the retailer who sold it to you who is legally required to remedy the situation by offering you a repair (not possible in this case), replacement or refund.

However no food company wants food safety investigations or bad press associated with their brands so it's in their best interests to keep you fairly happy. If you want an apology from the company and some freebies then a letter of complaint with photo and packaging details should do the trick.
    ..some retailers request letters of indemnity from the producer for things like this.
    The more processing food requires..the higher the risk of foregin body contamination...but what is important is that the manufactuer fully investigates, provides an explanation, and a shows a corrective action has been adopted so this type of incident doesnt repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The way most foreign object investigation go is as follows:

1. contact the manufacture, either yourself or get your retailer to do it.
    2. manufacturer sends out a post paid box for the packaging and the foreign object.
    3 Pack is sent to manufacturer, after about 2 weeks full report is received form quality control person, with vouchers if applicable.
    4. If you accept these vouchers etc, case closed, if you feel you want further compo as you have had an injury etc you go further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I was eating a piece of chicken for my dinner tonight when I cut into it and in the middle of it there was a piece of blue plastic (looks like a piece of plastic glove people wear in factories for H&S)

AFAIK food preparation areas supply "blue band aid" type of plasters for finger cuts.
    Blue is supposed to be spotted and removed before serving.:eek:

dh0661 wrote: »
    AFAIK food preparation areas supply "blue band aid" type of plasters for finger cuts.

Blue is used alot in food manufacturing.. from packaging, to plasters, to utensiles...reason being they stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Thanks for all the replies.
    Voltex wrote: »
    sounds to me like entrapped packaging....the fact that the plastic was blue shows the company were employing best practice.

I wouldnt expect a field day regarding compo on this. Keep all info on the box...it should have the LOT number..or julian printed somewhere to ID batch.

TBH I'm not looking for money. I'm pretty picky food wise so when I saw what looks like a piece of plastic bag coming out I was a little more than put off. I've sent a complaint by email so I'm just waiting until Monday for them to get back to me. I took a photo of how it was on the plate. And I've kept the piece of plastic and packaging for lot reference.
    dh0661 wrote: »

If it was a band aid then I would be going to the FSAI.

Advertisement