Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master of Accounting

Options
  • 27-02-2010 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hey. I am considering doing my accounting masters in UCD next year and was hoping to gather some feedback about the course from any current student of the course or any one that has anything to say about it. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gingerlilywhite

If you call UCD, Smurfit they will arrange for you to speak with a current student about the programme. If you do not get any feedback here, it would be well worth your while doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ugabuga

I've done the masters myself - it's definitely a tough year work wise, very easy to fall behind if you're not organised about things. If you put the work in it's definitely worth it though because it has a great reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I just got an offer there during the week along with a few others so I just really have to think about it now and make a final decision but alas I don't think I can afford the fees and Dublin rent/costs right now! But I'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

ugabuga wrote: »
    I've done the masters myself - it's definitely a tough year work wise, very easy to fall behind if you're not organised about things. If you put the work in it's definitely worth it though because it has a great reputation

Did you do Commerce before doing the masters?

If you did, is the workload much more intensive?

Yeah I did BCIT in UCD before it. There's definitely more work to it - just because there is so much material to get through and information to retain. It's doable if you work at it because the stuff is understandable. Also you get every Wednesday off to study so that helps!

• Advertisement

Celtise wrote: »
    I just got an offer there during the week along with a few others so I just really have to think about it now and make a final decision but alas I don't think I can afford the fees and Dublin rent/costs right now! But I'll see!

Have you gotten sponsorship from a firm? They pay a good chunk of the fees for you. Also if you are eligible for a grant that will cover the rest of your fees so you wouldn't have to pay anything. Dublin rent is ridiculous but at least it's decreasing (slightly!)

Also you get every Wednesday off to study so that helps!

My brain tells me I would not do a tap of study on a Wednesday then.
    Have you gotten sponsorship from a firm? They pay a good chunk of the fees for you. Also if you are eligible for a grant that will cover the rest of your fees so you wouldn't have to pay anything. Dublin rent is ridiculous but at least it's decreasing (slightly!)

Yeah I got sponsorship from a coop with one of the Big Four last year and would hopefully still get grant sponsorship too but I would still be still be way under covering (about 6 or 7 grand I estimate) my costs of fees + rent + living costs even with both their help as I do not have parent sponsorship!

Anyways I see it as if they are willing to offer me a place then everyone else should too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 reverseswing

Celtise wrote: »
    My brain tells me I would not do a tap of study on a Wednesday then.

Yeah I got sponsorship from a coop with one of the Big Four last year and would hopefully still get grant sponsorship too but I would still be still be way under covering (about 6 or 7 grand I estimate) my costs of fees + rent + living costs even with both their help as I do not have parent sponsorship!

Anyways I see it as if they are willing to offer me a place then everyone else should too.

How did you go about getting sponsorship off one of the Big Four?
    Were you approached by them while you were doing your undergraduate degree?

I worked with my sponsorship firm last year for six months. During my exit briefing they asked if I would be willing to come back and I said yeah sure but I wanna do a masters. They offered me a contract including the masters/sponsorship then!

I went for an interview in my final year of undergrad and got a job with a Big Four. They ask if you want to do as masters of not and if you do they sponsor you to do it.

• Advertisement

And do the Big Four only interview a selection of top students or did many of your class mates get an interview?

Loads of people I know got interviews with them, not all top students or anything like that. I think everyone I know who applied for the Big 4 got at least one interview with one of them but loads had interviews with all 4.

May I ask what university you were in?
    Cos I'm going into my final year in Maynooth doing Finance and Accounting.
    Do the Big Four interview people from NUIM aswell, as I've heard that they tend to favour undergrads from UCD,DCU and UL?

I went to UCC and there is a good few of them taken too as well as DIT in addition to the ones you names.

Cool thanks,
    So, basically the Big Four interview most people who have undergrad degrees in Accounting etc from universities and some IT's?

Advertisement