Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap bike shop melbourne

Options
  • 27-02-2010 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

hi all, i need to get a bike and am looking for some thing cheap cheap. i done a search on google and rang loads of places and the cheapest i could come up with was ~$500. anyone know anywhere that would be worth a call? tried gumtree as well, waiting on a few replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

lg123 wrote: »
    hi all, i need to get a bike and am looking for some thing cheap cheap. i done a search on google and rang loads of places and the cheapest i could come up with was ~$500. anyone know anywhere that would be worth a call? tried gumtree as well, waiting on a few replies.

How much are you willing to spend?

PS do NOT pay any attention to the guy selling bikes on gumtree claiming to be a bike mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

bike mechanic.....love it.

was hoping for something around $200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I spotted bikes for sale in my local Aldi for about $150 a few weeks ago. Don't know how good they'd be but I'm sure it'd do if you were only here for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

K-Mart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Try the bike Shed at Ceres - a community organisation.

Best to go Friday or Saturday morn as all bikes at the Bike Shed are donations, and those are the best times to get a decent bike.

The ones on Sundays are the leftovers which are not great.

Also most bikes need some work on them - which you can do with the tools and advice there. You become a member for next to nothing and they sell you the parts and help you fix the bike good as new for free. If you ever have a problem with the bike you can take it back and they will help you fix it.

You should be able to get a good bike for under $100. And it’s environmentally friendly.

Don’t forget its against the law to ride a bike without a helmet here so buy one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Doc wrote: »
    Don’t forget its against the law to ride a bike without a helmet here so buy one first.

thanks, didnt know that but why am i not surprised.
    and people give out about the uk and ireland being nanny states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

lg123 wrote: »
    thanks, didnt know that but why am i not surprised.
    and people give out about the uk and ireland being nanny states.
    Believe me Vic Pol dont go too hard on this last time I rode without one the district 311 drove by me and the driver simply tapped his head.

However if you consider the way people drive over here the helmet cant hurt you too much.

I would however look around your local opp shops they have some great deals on bikes if you find one and possibly a helmet. Op shops rule , if you have a local auction near you try that as well. Its an experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Cash converters usually have a few.

Ebay is where I got mine when I lived there. Got a brand new one in perfect condition, really cheaply.

Advertisement