Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible time - cat dying

Options
  • 27-02-2010 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

I am sorry to write this here, hope it doesn't upset anyone.

I am usually not phased by much but my cat is lying beside me and he is dying as I write. Don't know how long it will take but we picked him up from the Vet yesterday to bring him home.

I moved to Ireland about 11 years ago and moved into a little flat. I saw him first living under the bushes in the back garden and started to feed him. I always wanted a cat as a kid but we never had the space. He was quite ferral but after a while he would eat inside and even sleep inside. As I didn't have a cat flap I would let him sleep inside during the night and let him out during the day.

I also started to bring him to the vet for checks and vaccines and everything. He moved with me to my first house after a couple of years and then again to the second house (we live there now) and he is my best friend and companion. I met my wife about 7 years ago and she loves him dearly.

He is with us 24/7 and such a character. Although I am sure some people might find it daft, I yhanked him in particular in my thesis when I finished my PhD because he was always there.

During the last 6 years he first lost one ear to skin cancer and then the other. He recovered so quickly and it was so normal for us to see a cat without ears that any other cat seemed strange to us. Early in last year he had to have the tip of his nose removed, also because of skin cancer. He us mainly white with a black tail and some black spots but the ears and nose were devoid of any pigment and therefore open to damage from the sun. He loves lying in the sun.

The operation on his nose was traumatic but he actually recoverd much quicker from it than expected (after two days post-op he was home and didn't even need a protective collar or lamp-shade as I called it). After a week he had fully recovered and was himself again.

Two days ago he was diagnosed with a large liver tumor. 2/3 of his liver is taken up by the tumor and they can't do anything for him. Within the two days he deteriorated so much that he can't move around much maybe 3 meters distance max. He is very weak, doesn't eat anymore and only had a sip of water yesterday. He is moving every 20 minutes from his basket under the radiator to a little rug beside it and back. His breathing is short and abrupt and he does only react to us when quite close to him. He doesn't want to be too close though and it is very distressing. He is quiet but he doesn't seem to be able to sleep properly.

We have to bring him back to the vet on Monday for more medication but I am not sure if he is going to last that long. Don't know what to do at all, my wife and I are devastated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Preusse wrote: »
    I am sorry to write this here, hope it doesn't upset anyone.

I am usually not phased by much but my cat is lying beside me and he is dying as I write. Don't know how long it will take but we picked him up from the Vet yesterday to bring him home.

I moved to Ireland about 11 years ago and moved into a little flat. I saw him first living under the bushes in the back garden and started to feed him. I always wanted a cat as a kid but we never had the space. He was quite ferral but after a while he would eat inside and even sleep inside. As I didn't have a cat flap I would let him sleep inside during the night and let him out during the day.

I also started to bring him to the vet for checks and vaccines and everything. He moved with me to my first house after a couple of years and then again to the second house (we live there now) and he is my best friend and companion. I met my wife about 7 years ago and she loves him dearly.

He is with us 24/7 and such a character. Although I am sure some people might find it daft, I yhanked him in particular in my thesis when I finished my PhD because he was always there.

During the last 6 years he first lost one ear to skin cancer and then the other. He recovered so quickly and it was so normal for us to see a cat without ears that any other cat seemed strange to us. Early in last year he had to have the tip of his nose removed, also because of skin cancer. He us mainly white with a black tail and some black spots but the ears and nose were devoid of any pigment and therefore open to damage from the sun. He loves lying in the sun.

The operation on his nose was traumatic but he actually recoverd much quicker from it than expected (after two days post-op he was home and didn't even need a protective collar or lamp-shade as I called it). After a week he had fully recovered and was himself again.

Two days ago he was diagnosed with a large liver tumor. 2/3 of his liver is taken up by the tumor and they can't do anything for him. Within the two days he deteriorated so much that he can't move around much maybe 3 meters distance max. He is very weak, doesn't eat anymore and only had a sip of water yesterday. He is moving every 20 minutes from his basket under the radiator to a little rug beside it and back. His breathing is short and abrupt and he does only react to us when quite close to him. He doesn't want to be too close though and it is very distressing. He is quiet but he doesn't seem to be able to sleep properly.

We have to bring him back to the vet on Monday for more medication but I am not sure if he is going to last that long. Don't know what to do at all, my wife and I are devastated.

Surely the most humane thing to do is to put the poor animal to sleep?? I'm surprised the vet didn't mention it to you. why go for more medicine if the cat is dying? Why would you let the cat suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend but if he is in such a distressing way i do think the decission should be made to ease his pain and put him to sleep. I know who hard it is to think about doing it but if he is suffering then you really need to think about him and do the right thing for him and let him go...I've been in the same boat with my 12 year old dog not so long ago who was also dying of cancer but we made the decision that the minute we saw that she was going down hill we would go straight away and thats what we did,,,and although it was hard to lose her i have no regrets as she was so miserable i knew i had done her the last favour i could do for her..Please think about it if he has no hope of recovery do you really want the last few days with him to be in pain.... So sorry agin for all of you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That is terrible, I feel sorry for you. At least you knew. My dog had a brain tumour, and I found her having seizures. She was dying right in front of us. We brought her to a hospital, but they really only confirmed what we already knew. We had put her down.

Don't let your cat suffer, don't let your last memories watching him die in pain. You can say goodbye comforting him while he's going to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Preusse, I'm extremely sorry for your impending loss.

At this point, when it's so obvious that the cat is on his last hours, it is important for you to make this time as comfortable as possible for him.

Ring the vet and ask if they will come to your house and put the cat to sleep. That way you can be close to him, not cause him the stress of a transport to the vet and you can have your last moments with him in a calm atmosphere where he feels loved.

Whatever happens, please, please stay with him when the vet administers the injection to put him to sleep. Even if you're bawling and you feel like dirt, please stay with your cat. You're the ones he knows and trusts the most, and the greatest thing you can do to round off the life of your pet is stay with them when they die.

Wishing you and him the gentlest of passings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

First of all, thanks for your replies. We rang the vet and are going to see him today before he closes.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Surely the most humane thing to do is to put the poor animal to sleep?? I'm surprised the vet didn't mention it to you. why go for more medicine if the cat is dying? Why would you let the cat suffer?

I don't want to give out to you just because I am in a distressed mood. The only thing I can say is that we are going by what the vet suggests as we are at a loss as to what to do. The vet thought it would be ok to take him home until Monday (maybe to give us time?) but he is going back today so we see what will happen.
    joyce2009 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend but if he is in such a distressing way i do think the decission should be made to ease his pain and put him to sleep. I know who hard it is to think about doing it but if he is suffering then you really need to think about him and do the right thing for him and let him go...I've been in the same boat with my 12 year old dog not so long ago who was also dying of cancer but we made the decision that the minute we saw that she was going down hill we would go straight away and thats what we did,,,and although it was hard to lose her i have no regrets as she was so miserable i knew i had done her the last favour i could do for her..Please think about it if he has no hope of recovery do you really want the last few days with him to be in pain.... So sorry agin for all of you:(

Thanks we are going to the vet this morning. I am sorry for you and your beloved dog. :(
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    That is terrible, I feel sorry for you. At least you knew. My dog had a brain tumour, and I found her having seizures. She was dying right in front of us. We brought her to a hospital, but they really only confirmed what we already knew. We had put her down.

Don't let your cat suffer, don't let your last memories watching him die in pain. You can say goodbye comforting him while he's going to sleep.

I am really scared of the moment but I want to be with him when it happens. Thanks. And I am really sorry to hear about your pet dog.

• Advertisement

Preusse, I'm extremely sorry for your impending loss.

At this point, when it's so obvious that the cat is on his last hours, it is important for you to make this time as comfortable as possible for him.

Ring the vet and ask if they will come to your house and put the cat to sleep. That way you can be close to him, not cause him the stress of a transport to the vet and you can have your last moments with him in a calm atmosphere where he feels loved.

Whatever happens, please, please stay with him when the vet administers the injection to put him to sleep. Even if you're bawling and you feel like dirt, please stay with your cat. You're the ones he knows and trusts the most, and the greatest thing you can do to round off the life of your pet is stay with them when they die.

Wishing you and him the gentlest of passings.

Thank you, Sweeper!

I did ask the vet yesterday but they don't do house calls. They could give me a contact to another vet who would do it but he would be a total stranger to me and to our cat. Yes, I fully intend to be with him when it happens. I promised him that.

This has to be the only down side to owning a pet,,,all i can tell you is it is a very gentle process ,just hold him and talk to him and he will just go to sleep,,,,Again i'm so sorry for you and i hope in time another cat will be lucky enough to be your pet..... All the best..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Sorry Preusse for your woes and I hope I didn't come across as scolding or insensitive. My family have had cats and dogs for years and naturally we've gone tru (more than a few times) what you're going tru now.
    Only recently my mam had to have her last two cats put down(21yrs old and 23yrs old). Its a very hard thing to do but in the interest of the animal its the best thing to do.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Sorry Preusse for your woes and I hope I didn't come across as scolding or insensitive. My family have had cats and dogs for years and naturally we've gone tru (more than a few times) what you're going tru now.
    Only recently my mam had to have her last two cats put down(21yrs old and 23yrs old). Its a very hard thing to do but in the interest of the animal its the best thing to do.

No, don't worry, it's just that I am a bit raw at the moment.

Pushka passed away today at 12.00pm. It was the best for him as well as us but it is incredibly hard. :(

My wife and I held him all the time and didn't let him go for a long time. He was and is very much loved by us.

I will post later in the deceased pets thread and maybe put a picture up of him as well.

Thanks to all for your comments and sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Oh Dear.

very sorry for your lost.

Sleep easy Pushka.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Preusse

The loss and pain you feel at the moment is the price we pay for all the joy and love we received from our pets during their lifetime.

A small price really, when you weigh it all up.

As time passes, the memories of joy will return and far outweigh the momentary pain.

Sleep easy, Pushka

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Very sorry for your loss. Anyone who has lost a pet can understand the devastation that I'm sure you and your wife are going through right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Very sorry for your loss. At least he's free from pain now. I had to do the same thing for my cat a few years back and it was very hard, so I know how you feel.

Run free little one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My heart is breaking for you at the moment, it brings it all back to me, looking at your beloved pet in front of you knowing that the end is near. Its the suckiest part of owning a pet but we do it over and over again because the memories are so worth it. Enjoy your memories, its the gift your beloved cat has left you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My heart goes out to you, Preusse. I know you and your wife are feeling inconsolable right now but in time the grief will not be as raw and you'll be able to look back and share the many happy memories of your life together with Pushka.

Reading your thread, it struck me how incredibly fortunate he was to have crossed your path. Had you not been so kind to him and warmed him to human contact, his life as a homeless, semi-feral cat would have been tragic. I wish every cat knew the love and care that you and your wife lavished on Pushka.

Take care x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

There's not much to say but I'm awfully sorry you lost your wonderful companion.
    It's heartbreaking but at least you know you gave him a loving home and he loved you for it.
    It's never easy to lose a loved one, but he'll always be in your hearts. x

Thank you guys, thanks very much. This means a lot to me and I have told my wife about this thread also. She is not on boards but will read it at a later stage when she feels more up to it.

I would like to reply to each individual post but I just don't have the energy at the moment. I appreciate all your posts very much and would like to thank you for your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm very sorry to hear that he died. At least he's not in pain anymore. You were great owners, friends, carers to that cat. I hope you consider getting a new cat in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Oh that's sad news. So sorry for your loss. I have an elderly cat here who has chronic ear problems and needs to be knocked out ever second month to have them cleaned out. It's awful signing her forms, she's nearly 19. I know how hard it is when you've had them so long and you're so attached to them. Be kind to yourself and know you looked after your animal and your animal was loved and cared for until the last, not so many animals are as lucky to have such owners.

Ive been thinking about him all day since i read your post this morning and i pray now that you both will take solice in the knowledge that he was a lucky cat to have had you two ,his life would have been so much harder being ferel and like i said before maybe in time some other cat will be lucky enough to have you as their owner..So sorry for the both of you,,all the best ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

So sorry to hear that, you must be absolutely heartbroken. He was a very lucky cat to have such a caring owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Oh Preusse, I'm so so sorry to hear about your friend :( If its any consilation, you did a brilliant thing taking him in and giving him such a lovely life full of love, happiness and great memories. What a lucky cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So sorry to hear that poor Pushka passed away. I know how it feels from personal experience. It isn't easy letting go like that, and it never gets easier, but deep down you know you made the right decision. May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

So sorry to hear this:( its so hard especially if you are seeing the cat like this:( But like the others have said what a lucky cat to have owners like you!:D You should put a pic up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I'm actually very tearful reading this. What a lucky cat to have owners like you, and how lucky you were to have a friend like him.

I'm sure he's lying in the sun right now,in a better place where he has no pain.

Thanks for sharing your story. x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sorry to hear Preusse, your story was touching.

Cold comfort I know, but at least you gave him a lot of good years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

So sorry about your cat. :( He was lucky to have owners like you and your wife. :) If every cat in the world had a life like your kitties, I would be so happy. He was obviouly so well looked after, Plenty of food, vet treatment, a warm bed!
    I had to get my dog who was 14 put to sleep in Sept 08. I was so heartbroken. But it does get easier. Hope you're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Sorry, Preusse.

Pushka obviously had a loving family and it's also obvious that he knew that

Advertisement