Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library open again!

Options
  • 27-02-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Went to the library yesterday and post-renovation it is absolutely fantastic. Amazing reading room upstairs - one wall all glass with incredible views of the beach - so peaceful. Perfect for an hour's respite from the kids!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

That's good to hear .. any news on the opening/closing times? I know they used to open late.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Went down yesterday with my eldest to have a look around. They have a great kids section, free internet usage on computers upstairs and as Neets said the view from the reading room is really good. It's just missing a coffee dock in there and they would clean up!

http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/libraries/branchgreystones.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Opening Hours

Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
    10.00 am - 5.00 pm

Tuesday and Thursday
    10.00 pm - 8.30 pm

Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

neets wrote: »
    Went to the library yesterday and post-renovation it is absolutely fantastic. Amazing reading room upstairs - one wall all glass with incredible views of the beach - so peaceful. Perfect for an hour's respite from the kids!!!

Was studying in there earlier, there was a steady procession of parents with their small children going in and showing junior the view, junior would exclaim loudly, everyone studying would look over at the parent, parent and child would leave, thirty seconds later this would repeat. Not ideal for what should be the quietest part of the library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Was studying in there earlier, there was a steady procession of parents with their small children going in and showing junior the view, junior would exclaim loudly, everyone studying would look over at the parent, parent and child would leave, thirty seconds later this would repeat. Not ideal for what should be the quietest part of the library.

In their defence it is a pretty amazing view for small kids - particularly when a dart pulls into the station. Don't worry, the novelty will soon wear off. And it's not just kids making noise - when I was there someone who was 'studying' decided to answer their mobile and a full conversation ensued!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Is there wifi access down there?

I couldn't pick any up on my laptop, maybe it hasn't been installed yet I never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

no wifi. It's terrible that inconsiderate people bring children into the library. Regardless of whether it's an amazing view or the first week of opening or that the library caters for 2 year olds upwards! Who do these people think they are, in and out, you say, not even hanging around. Unbelievable. I hope you complained to the relative authorities. By the way my 3 year old loved the view yesterday while picking up his books, he told me as quietly as he could. The 11 month old was a little more vociferous and not as easily subdued, she's not even a member! Can you believe my embarrassment. I went mad. I hope your horrible experience doesn't deter you from using this great PUBLIC service in the future.

dr ro wrote: »
    no wifi. It's terrible that inconsiderate people bring children into the library. Regardless of whether it's an amazing view or the first week of opening or that the library caters for 2 year olds upwards! Who do these people think they are, in and out, you say, not even hanging around. Unbelievable. I hope you complained to the relative authorities. By the way my 3 year old loved the view yesterday while picking up his books, he told me as quietly as he could. The 11 month old was a little more vociferous and not as easily subdued, she's not even a member! Can you believe my embarrassment. I went mad. I hope your horrible experience doesn't deter you from using this great PUBLIC service in the future.

I was merely pointing out that the study/reading area seems to have been designed in such a way that encourages a lot of traffic in it. The room itself is lovely, its just annoying having kids running up and down on the wooden floor when you are trying to right a lab report. No need to get so self righteous over what was merely an observation of what the new library is like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

pljudge you're not alone. The kids are an annoyance. There should be a set time for them, like swimming pools.

Library looks awesome though, good to see we can develop something right :)

pljudge you're not alone. The kids are an annoyance. There should be a set time for them, like swimming pools.

Library looks awesome though, good to see we can develop something right :)

I've got no problem with kids in the library, I'm very pro-reading especially at as young an age at possible. Its just that that automatic sound-dampening door was installed for a reason and that's to keep the noise from the lower library out of the reading room. A big Quiet Please sign would probably deal with the problem if it doesn't die off of its own accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I was merely pointing out that the study/reading area seems to have been designed in such a way that encourages a lot of traffic in it. The room itself is lovely, its just annoying having kids running up and down on the wooden floor when you are trying to right a lab report. No need to get so self righteous over what was merely an observation of what the new library is like.

Think the word you are looking for is write! Pfft, students of today ;)

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I think the word you are looking for is write! Pfft, students of today. ;)

I accept the issue of my poor spelling, and in return raise the issue of your less than satisfactory grammar. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I accept the issue of my poor spelling, and in return raise the issue of your less than satisfactory grammar. :P

:D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Yeah was down today from 11-5. Agree 110% on the kids. Very annoying! Still is better than travelling an hour to college.

Building is lovely the way it has been rebuilt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

dr ro wrote: »
    One of the funniest things i have read in a while!

The children are really excited that their new library is open and it should be embraced. The novelty will soon be gone.

Bah humbug to some of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I have not been but, it is a pity they do not have a good enough area for children which based on this thread I am guessing they do not have. We are currently living in Canada and our local library has a whole floor dedicated to Children of all ages. It has Lego, crayons, blackboards, PC's, toys of all description as well as lots and lots of books. It is a great facility and we spend a lot of time there without worrying about "bothering" people.

Greystones library has missed a trick if they don't have something like that going on :(

Jammyc wrote: »
    Yeah was down today from 11-5. Agree 110% on the kids. Very annoying! Still is better than travelling an hour to college.

Its a very weird colour scheme isn't it? It kinda works though.

• Advertisement

You do realise that the children are as entitled as you are to be there don't you? They will get bigger and you will finish college some day and then all this will be a distant memory.

You get somewhere free to sit and study for 6 hours and you still complain, I don't know!!!

Its a very weird colour scheme isn't it? It kinda works though.
    Yeah, keeps the place nice and bright, great for reading and that. The desks in the reading area are huge, its great!

MrsA wrote: »
    You do realise that the children are as entitled as you are to be there don't you? They will get bigger and you will finish college some day and then all this will be a distant memory.

You get somewhere free to sit and study for 6 hours and you still complain, I don't know!!!
    Tbh what I thought was worse today was the secondary school girls who declared that if they wanted to go to a creche they would have, then turned around and started jawing on about all sorts of shite.

Tbh what I thought was worse today was the secondary school girls who declared that if they wanted to go to a creche they would have, then turned around and started jawing on about all sorts of shite.

Thats the problem, once there is any sort of noise it becomes acceptable until it rises in volume so much that you would have been better off making the long slough into the college library.

Its a library, and in specific a study/reading area inside the library. Its not unreasonable to expect a certain level of silence to be maintained.

Thats the problem, once there is any sort of noise it becomes acceptable until it rises in volume so much that you would have been better off making the long slough into the college library.

Its a library, and in specific a study/reading area inside the library. Its not unreasonable to expect a certain level of silence to be maintained.
    Aye, its been irritating but I mean, its not so bad that Id up and go. Not unworkable in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have not been but, it is a pity they do not have a good enough area for children which based on this thread I am guessing they do not have.

why would you make such a statement when you haven't been - even the pre-refurbishment library had a good area for kids.
    ...They have a great kids section...

my kids went down during the week and came back with armfuls of brand new books and some DVDs - I'm looking forward to checking it out myself.

loyatemu wrote: »
    why would you make such a statement when you haven't been - even the pre-refurbishment library had a good area for kids.
    my kids went down during the week and came back with armfuls of brand new books and some DVDs - I'm looking forward to checking it out myself.

Fair enough, I am not just basing my observations on this thread though, I have spoken to other people who have been there, and while it is hugely better than it was (which I really did not think was great, but, I was comparing it to another library that my son started off using) it is not as good as it could have been.

I look forward to visiting myself, I love libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

...which I really did not think was great...

you should have seen it before it was refurbed in the 90s

loyatemu wrote: »
    you should have seen it before it was refurbed in the 90s

Was it like the cinema? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I think the whole anti-kids vibe from this thread is a bit OTT.

There is a really good area for small children and parents to sit and read or review books in the kids section downstairs. I believe this was done to avoid lots of kids going upstairs in the future.

As the library is new it's bound to be a novelty for anyone who visits for the first time, and bringing kids up to admire the view is one highlight of the visit for them. I'd say the volume of people visiting the upstairs reading room will slow down once people have been there and seen it.

All that said, I think the upstairs area has the potential to become a popular student hang out in the afternoons if it's not managed properly. There are not a lot of places where they can congregate indoors.

The novelty will wear off so either be patient or go and complain to the people who run the library if it persists.

Advertisement