Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities in Mullingar?

Options
  • 27-02-2010 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

I moved to Mullingar for work about 6 months ago and while I enjoy my job and dont mind the area Ive found it incredibly difficult to meet people on the same wavelenght as myself.I have made no friends outside of work mates and house mates,they are nice people but my interests and theirs are 2 very different things.Im just wondering if there are things like say a film club or society etc that caters for more out there stuff/foreign films and not Hollywood mass produced blockbusters.Even things like a decent bar that plays more rock/metal music.Ive been to Danny Byrnes and John Macs,not bad bars but they arent quite scratching my itch.Any suggestions welcomed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 EoinC010

Try the Stables, they usually have a good band on. Mullingar is a big music town, its just a case of finding when things are actually on! Thats the difficult bit... I'm not sure about movie societies or groups in Mullingar, if theres any i've never heard of them, but thats not stopping you from setting one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Also never really heard of any film clubs etc. in the 'gar, but the Stables is probably the place for you if you're into heavier stuff. It does draw a bit of an.. interesting crowd, though, a lot of guys between 17-20 and then 40+, and some of them can be quite unsavoury characters. Depending on your age, I could introduce you to some people who would know more about that kind of stuff.
    I was at a Thunderstruck gig there, and Metallitia plays there a fair bit if you're into your classics; both are pretty damn good for cover bands. Last night I was there (Saturday, I think?) they had a rave type thing going on, so there's plenty of variety. But keep in mind, you have to pay for most gigs there, anywhere between 5-20 euro.

With Danny's you just have to go on the right night. I've been there on nights when they have a massive crowd moshing to RATM, and the next night there'll be someone crooning Joe Dolan. Danny's is a great spot save for the barstaff (albeit Mark is an absolute gem). And it's always, always free.

Mac's doesn't really have that much in the way of live music and it caters to a kind of cliquey crowd and indie heads. Not my favourite spot but my friends drink there, what can you do.

If you wanna talk about films, though, or even want to help start something like that, or come across something like that, let me know, as I watch at least 3-4 films a day between myself and my housemate and would love to discover more, particularly foreign films and the ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Thanks for the replies folks.

Liah,re The Stables,my age group falls smack in the middle of the 17 - 20 and 40+ bracket.My moshing days are behind me more or less.I was kinda hoping for a bar like Bruxelles where you could go and listen to decent music on a jukebox and not have to be concerned with douchebags.As for paying up to 20 quid to see a cover band,hmmm,I dunno about that.

Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Figures. Mullingar IS a musical town (out of the top 5 most promising acts in the meteors, 3 were out of Mullingar), and there's always live music going on-- but there's rarely proper heavy stuff. If you had different tastes you'd find loads but it's not going to be as varied a venue as somewhere like Dublin. It is only a small town, after all.

Danny's'd be your best bet overall, just gotta head in on the right night. Whitewater are known to play some heavier covers and they draw a decent crowd, they play there once to a couple of times a month. Mostly, though, you'd hear classic covers on any given random night.

Or, just open your ear to a little more variety. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Oh I have a very open mind,its just every now and again I fancy something different than the typical pub cover band.

• Advertisement
Advertisement