Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

longest length of timber i can get

• 27-02-2010 12:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭

hi, im just wondering whats the longest possible length of 7x2 i could get. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

i'm guessin 5m

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

tom thum wrote: »
    hi, im just wondering whats the longest possible length of 7x2 i could get. thanks

Possibly 30' plus from a sawmill. Depending on your requirements, is it a structural timber, because of its size , it may need intermediate supports. Whats it for.

kadman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

kadman wrote: »
    Possibly 30' plus from a sawmill. Depending on your requirements, is it a structural timber, because of its size , it may need intermediate supports. Whats it for.

kadman
    hi kadman. they are gonna be rafters for a garage roof. the garage is 6.3 metres wide by 8 or 9. something metres . its gonna be a hipped roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

If your 6.3m from wall plate to wall plate and your pitch is around 25 degrees the lenght of your rafter will be around 3.8 meters thats allowing for a small overhang......any builders providers will sell 7x2 in 4.2m or 4.8m lenghts.

Here's a handy rafter size calculator ....
    http://www.planhelp.com/public/98.cfm

Also the home bond book is great for info on roof construction...
    http://www.eason.ie/look/9780952361466/House-Building-Manual-6Ed--Homebond--New-Edition-Available-2008/-Nhbgs

Advertisement