Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilbert O Sullivan on the Late Late

• 27-02-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of this guy and I have to say I 100% understand his reluctance to come back and play in his home town. Thankfully Mr Tubridy asked the questions we wanted him to ask last night and Gilbert (Who is a genius by the way..if you haven't listened to any of his music I strongly suggest that you do so) said that after he performed to a half empt house in 1992 it made him bitter to the point of not returning. (those were not his exact words).

This, to me, is Waterford all over. Not supporting their own on their own doorstep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I already asked this on the new place. I found him very odd tbh, he's be the last person I would have thought you were into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I'm a big fan of this guy and I have to say I 100% understand his reluctance to come back and play in his home town. Thankfully Mr Tubridy asked the questions we wanted him to ask last night and Gilbert (Who is a genius by the way..if you haven't listened to any of his music I strongly suggest that you do so) said that after he performed to a half empt house in 1992 it made him bitter to the point of not returning. (those were not his exact words).

This, to me, is Waterford all over. Not supporting their own on their own doorstep.

Apparently the eurovision song contest was on the night he played in waterford.Being to a good few things recently in the theatre royal,most of them were half empty,plenty of seats at freddie white,wallace and grommit the musical was practically empty.Surely the Jack L concert will be virtually full,and i expect a large crowd at next thursdays stags and hens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I really enjoyed seeing him perform last night. A great talent. Sadly the audience participation fell flat. I felt sorry for him when that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think he picked the wrong song for a sing a long though. alone again naturally is more of a haunting ballad then a sing song ... One of my favourite songs of all time

Alone Again dates from 1972, showing my age here, the audience would have to be 50+ to have any attachment to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 stephenc1979

My mother was a big fan in his hey day she went to the 1992 concert and said it was ****e, he played some of his new stuff. Also came across full of himself. didn't see him on the late late.

Hagar wrote: »
    Alone Again dates from 1972, showing my age here, the audience would have to be 50+ to have any attachment to it.

So would I have to be 60+ to have an attachment to the beatles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

yes. personally i like gregorian chanting and also that new young whippersnapper wolfy mozart. but then again i'm a few hundred years old

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I can remember him back then and I'm not 50 yet. ;)

I was also into The Bay City Rollers and loved wearing my tartan get up :D

For those who're too young to remember

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/Deisemum/untitled-3.jpg

• Advertisement

Do you honestly remember them first time around? I do.
    longshanks wrote: »
    yes. personally i like gregorian chanting and also that new young whippersnapper wolfy mozart. but then again i'm a few hundred years old
    deisemum wrote:
    I can remember him back then and I'm not 50 yet. wink.gif

I was also into The Bay City Rollers and loved wearing my tartan get up :D
    You must get your birthday cards in the same shop my wife does. :D

Shang-a-lang...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jaysus, why didn't someone tell me?

He's a very under-rated song writer.

Check out Nicky Sixx's drugged-up cover of Alone Again. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

a lot of ten year olds will be familiar with his stuff from 'stuart little':D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Do you honestly remember them first time around? I do.

You must get your birthday cards in the same shop my wife does. :D

Shang-a-lang...

It's Gilbert I remember from the early 70's, I was born in 1964 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kilkennygirl

Nothing Rhymed, We Will, Claire ..... What wonderful memories

Advertisement