Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decompression Chambers

• 27-02-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38

Does anyone know which decompression chambers are currently available to divers in Ireland ?

Is it still only the navy chamber in Haulbowline (Cork) and the chamber in Craigavon ?

Specifically, any news on what is happening with the Galway chamber ?

thanks,

journeyman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I think there's a chamber in Dublin that's covered by CFT insurance now too.

From what I understand about the Galway one is there's a brand new modern chamber all finished and ready to run... but there's no budget for any hospital staff to operate it.

Seems like an awful farce, would like to hear more from someone that's more in the know about this...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

The Chamber is Haulbowline is on call through Medico in CUH (they will give prior notification to the Coast Guard if the plan to be 'off line').

Im not sure what the situation with the National Hyperbaric Centre in Dublin, there was a 'difference of opinion' with them CFT & not recognising their Insurance & now appears not even to be covering DAN members. See here;

http://www.hyperbaricireland.com/Diving_Press%20.htm

Does anybody know any further info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Benny-c wrote: »
    The Chamber is Haulbowline is on call through Medico in CUH (they will give prior notification to the Coast Guard if the plan to be 'off line').

Im not sure what the situation with the National Hyperbaric Centre in Dublin, there was a 'difference of opinion' with them CFT & not recognising their Insurance & now appears not even to be covering DAN members. See here;

You could email hyperbaric Ireland and ask Des what the latest is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Benny-c wrote: »

Don't think the National Hyperbaric Centre in Dublin services either DAN or CFT divers. Also its best not to speculate as to the reasons.

Peace wrote: »
    Don't think the National Hyperbaric Centre in Dublin services either DAN or CFT divers. Also its best not to speculate as to the reasons.

That's why I suggested to contact Des if you want to know.. instead of ppl posting speculative 3rd hand information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 journeyman

Thanks for the info. So, sounds like Cork and Craigavon are the only options. Also, I understand that Cork is not always available (e.g. as the navy may be using it).

Does anyone have any info on the Galway chamber ? Is it complete, and mothballed due to lack of funds for staff ? Or is it still awaiting completion ?

thanks,

journeyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is/was one on either the LE Aishling or Aoife, or Deirdre... or Emir.
    I remember I saw into it during a guided tour on the Dublin Docks many years ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

"Time… One of the elements that can be FATAL to a compromised Diver…. The other one is stupidity which there would appear to be an over abundance of…."

:):):):) ha ha ha......

maybe someone with better connections to the ones in the know clarify one thing for me... what is CFTs official, written position on chambers?

from the already linked NHC page
    “CFT divers are only to attend a hyperbaric facility attached to a Hospital…”

Belfast, Feb. 2008, Chair of the Medical Commission.

http://www.cft.ie/chamber.htm
    only talks about Naval Service, Haulbowline chamber status

http://www.cft.ie/insurance.htm
    only states
    Am I insured to use private recompression chambers?
    Yes
    and then there is the procedure to call the costal rescue services for all accidents accidents at sea - and they decide what to do and which chamber to go to. But this not a copout for not properly stating insurance cover AND exclusions.

Nowhere on the public CFT site nor in the download section can I find a single reference to the "only chambers attached to hospital policy".

Either the CFT insurance covers attending private decompression chambers or it doesn't - if it does, can someone clarify that " only chamber at hospital" nonsense.
    At the end of the day it is our health, limbs and lives at risk!
    I think divers in ireland deserve a clear written statement from CFT as the governing body to clear up any ambiguity. [/rant over]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Would suggest you send that query direct to CFT for an answer:

ndo@cft.ie

Seadeuce

• Advertisement

Sure I can.. but I'm not really interested in an email confirmation..
    this would be more of the same informal, not official communication on this matter.

And as non CFT member I doubt that my request for a formal public policy statement on the website will get much attention.

Nobody seem to think it's odd/inconsistent/bizarre/fishy that you have insurance cover to use private chambers when travelling abroad. Yet at home, where you dive most, this not even officially written down "policy" seem denies divers access to (probably) a single chamber in Ireland... yet arguebly the most important one for divers at the east coast.

I'm looking for clarification, and don't expect anything to change... altho I'm naturally discontent with the status quo.

and is NDO the right person to answer what question.... it's an insurance policy / medical commission matter, or is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

The NDO, being responsible for all things diving and chairing the Technical Commission, is the best-placed person for such a query - from a communications point of view.

If the question were to be directed to the Medical Commission then the policy is to have any developments ratified by the TC before reaching the mainstream diving fraternity.

IOW the NDO should not be able to use the excuse of further referral to avoid giving a straight answer to a straight question.

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 techno123

The Galway chamber is installed and commissioned and operating to a limited service due to current staffing problems within the HSE. Emergency cases as far as i know will be dealt with, i would like to think that the benifits of Hyperbaric treatments will be seen by HSE mgt and a full service can be in place soon.

The chamber is very impressive and capable of taking 12 people at one time, it is also equipped with patient monitoring equipment and can take a patient on a trolley.

Thanks for the info - great to hear that the Galway chamber is operating.
    I guess all diving use of the chamber constitutes an emergency. Is it covered by DAN ?

A late follow-up:

Just spotted this post from January 2011 on the CFT site confirming that the Galway chamber is now open for diving emergencies:

http://www.cft.ie/chamber.htm

journeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ThomasGSAC

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Looks great-hopefully we will never need it.

Advertisement