Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesn't anyone use their phone as a modem?

• 27-02-2010 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

With data bundles being cheaper now you would expect to see a lot more of this, but I have never seen anyone doing that in real life, but I have seen lots of people use those Huawei USB thingies

is it that nobody realises that it can be done with a cable or bluetooth or does hardly anyone have a data bundle for their phone? with 99c a day from most networks on prepaid you'd think everyone would be using this to connect their laptop to the interwebs without having to go away and buy separate mobile broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you ever set up a Bluetooth connection with a mobile phone as a modem? It's not that straight forward. Compare that to plugging in the 3G dongle - much easier.

Also, if you don't do it via bluetooth, who wants to carry around an extra cable, then install the drivers, then configure it.

The 3G dongles just make it easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I thought of this when purchasing my Dongle but at less than EUR20 per month Vs 99c per day, I felt that it was a cheaper option to go with the Dongle (and easier too)....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I use my phone as a modem quiet often when I'm out and about.

100 Mb per month included in my Au$19(12.50 euro) monthly plan.

Unlimited free calls on Skype

Au$19 includes unlimited free 3 email to anyone, plus Au$140 worth of calls to any network, plus free unlimited facebook(which i never use) plus other stuff that I never use.

Can use phone as modem or use USB cable to connect to any available PC/laptop which gives me a bigger/better display and a keyboard which is easier for me to use.

I use ADSL and mobile broadband dongle at home(using dongle at moment to connect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Have you ever set up a Bluetooth connection with a mobile phone as a modem? It's not that straight forward. Compare that to plugging in the 3G dongle - much easier.

Also, if you don't do it via bluetooth, who wants to carry around an extra cable, then install the drivers, then configure it.

The 3G dongles just make it easier.

On Windows maybe. I've set up phones on OS X and they've all worked within 2 minutes, very little to no work involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭YourSQL

chrislad wrote: »
    On Windows maybe. I've set up phones on OS X and they've all worked within 2 minutes, very little to no work involved!

yep. i remember even setting it up on a mac pro in a shop for the lulz took about 1 minute. also wvdial with linux is quite easy. i'd carry a little cable around before i'd carry a usb thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

I have being using my mobile phones as data modems as far back as 2002 with the nokia 6310i, only draw back is battery technology with a phone hooked up to your comp via bluetooth and your phone on 3G it don't last very long on the go. Alot of phones now tho have the micro usb slots which lets you keep your phone charged via usb.

But I agree with you yoursql alot of people should be using there phones as modems but as tom dunne says can be a bit tricky to config but alot of the mobile phones come with software that will config eveything all you got to do is connect or pair up your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

ive used my phone as a modem a few times while on the train. 32cent a day for 100 mb usage aint bad. just plug it in to tha laptop, select the option on the phone screen for modem and its then installed and ready to use with no configuration. acts just like one of those dongles u get from the networks. also, the phone is constantly connected to the internet anyway for facebook and google chat. quite handy.

(im vodafone prepay, cheaper rate if u have a vodafone 360 phone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I use mine as a modem... am sure lots of people do. Apart from 02 customers who get screwed for paying overpriced tarrifs that restrict you from actually using the phone properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

stevexo wrote: »
    ive used my phone as a modem a few times while on the train. 32cent a day for 100 mb usage aint bad.

(im vodafone prepay, cheaper rate if u have a vodafone 360 phone)

stevexo how are you getting internet access so cheaply? I'm on vodafone prepay and it costs me 99c daily

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

stevexo how are you getting internet access so cheaply? I'm on vodafone prepay and it costs me 99c daily

you have to have a vodafone 360 phone. 360 phones have a constant connection tot he internet so if you top up by €20 a month with one of those phone, u automatically go on the cheaper rate. i wouldnt have bought the phone if it was 99c a day. i still have credit left over after the month is up with the free calls and texts too. well handy. my phone is samsung m1, now only 90 quid online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

When roaming in the UK I've used my E71 and the USB cable as a modem with a 3Pay sim and data bundle.

Here at home though I wouldn't want to be changing over sims so I have an O2 dongle for my broadband and I use the E71 for emails and web browsing with a separate sim and smaller data bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

i do too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm using joiku at the moment to turn my phone into a mobile wifi router.
    Just to be aware though that pc usage will eat up more bandwidth e.g. the full front page of boards is a half meg compared to the tiny m.boards.ie you might access on your phone.

Advertisement