Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial death in Ennis. Huges & Huges RIP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Sad news for Ennis and all the staff here in town and nationwide. Is Costa Coffee affected seeing as they share the premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ollaetta wrote: »
    Sad news for Ennis and all the staff here in town and nationwide. Is Costa Coffee affected seeing as they share the premises?

Costa in Dunlaoghaire was shut this morning with a similar death notice in the window. I presume they both share the leases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Costa in Ennis is open today, through back entrance from the car park. People quite shocked walking down to Hughes and Hughes, not having heard the news, and finding it closed with receivership notice on door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Balagan wrote: »
    Costa in Ennis is open today, back entrance from the car park open.
    Thats good, not the same in many of their other branches, probably due to security issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

One of my favorite shops. Just finished a book somebody got me for Christmas in there, was going to get another and heard that.

Costa wont survive without Hughes and Hughes... symbiotic relationship they had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cqd2

yeah, i didnt much care when the recession was closing down clothes shops and the like, but im sickened to see h&h go...they owe me like e7 i've left on a voucher i got for xmas too...might send it in to the administrator..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Good luck with that:D

I prefer the Ennis Book Shop but Hughes definitely brough the price of books down in the town . A big loss. Maybe Waterstones or God forbid, Easons would come in. I would guess that they did a tidy profit in Ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

buck65 wrote: »
    Good luck with that:D

I prefer the Ennis Book Shop but Hughes definitely brough the price of books down in the town . A big loss. Maybe Waterstones or God forbid, Easons would come in. I would guess that they did a tidy profit in Ennis.

It'll be interesting to see if the Receiver can get anybody to take over some of the businesses. I heard from an Abbey Street trader that the rent for H&H was €5k a week. I'd say the landlord will be hard pressed to reduce it as the upper floors are still empty.

I was in Costa yesterday and the staff were pretty downbeat about their chances of survival. They said business was down a good bit on Saturday. Having said that the place was ticking over nicely at 2pm yesterday about half full. I remember last year the place was mostly empty even at the weekends but it appears to have picked up a bit in the last few months.

I have about €60 in vouchers I got for my birthday recently that are useless now, but that's unimportant compared to the poor people out of a job, so hopefully someone will come in and take it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Good decent bookshop...sad to see them go! You will probably see the price of a book shoot back up in price unless another main bookstore enters the town.
    At 5k a week (if that is what it costs) that will be another building that will stay empty for some time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

There was a report in the sunday business post that WH Smith were interested in buying the assets of H&H from the receiver, especially the Airport outlets.
    Not sure what this means for the ennis outlet but if they could renegotiate the rent there might be some hope for it yet.
    depends how the ennis branch was trading i guess

• Advertisement
Advertisement