Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens

Options
  • 27-02-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering when do cats have kittens? We're getting a new kitten as our lovely cat of 10/11 years passed away last November. We're getting it from a shelter.
    Just a few q's aswell -
    We have quite a big garden and our cat used to wander a bit but always came back. How do we train a kitten to know that this is our garden and to come back? How long after we get it can we let it out on it's own?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi, just wondering when do cats have kittens? We're getting a new kitten as our lovely cat of 10/11 years passed away last November. We're getting it from a shelter.
    Just a few q's aswell -
    We have quite a big garden and our cat used to wander a bit but always came back. How do we train a kitten to know that this is our garden and to come back? How long after we get it can we let it out on it's own?

Thanks

I've only owned two cats (although some say they own us! - scroll down!.) and both times it was recommended that they were kept indoors for four weeks before being allowed outside.

Also when you let the cat out for the first few times make sure to leave a door or window open incase it needs to return quickly, the cat will feel a lot more secure knowing its home is accessible.

Also having it spayed will help stop it going walk abouts.

The difference between cats and dogs..

“Excerpts From The Dog’s Daily Diary”

8:00 am - Oh Boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9:30 am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!

9:40 am - Oh Boy! A walk! My favorite!

10:30 am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!

11:30 am - Oh Boy! Dog food! My favorite!

Noon - Oh Boy! The kids! My favorite!

1:00 pm - Oh Boy! The yard! My favorite!

4:00 pm - Oh Boy! The kids! My favorite!

5:00 pm - Oh Boy! Dog food! My favorite!

5:30 pm - Oh Boy! Mom! My favorite!

6:00 pm - Oh Boy! Playing ball! My favorite!

6:30 pm - Oh Boy! Sleeping in master’s bed! My favorite!

“Excerpts From The Cat’s Daily Diary”

Day 283 Of My Captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little
    dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat,
    while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing
    that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the
    mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional
    piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another
    house plant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving
    around their feet while they were walking almost
    succeeded; must try this at the top of the stairs. In
    an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile
    oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit
    on their favorite chair; must try this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless
    body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am
    capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts.
    They only cooed and condescended about what a good
    little cat I was. Hmmm, not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices.
    I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However,
    I could hear the noise and smell the food. More
    importantly I overheard that my confinement
    was due to MY power of “allergies.” Must learn what
    this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and
    maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and
    seems more than happy to return. He is obviously
    a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be
    an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am
    certain he reports my every move. Due to his current
    placement in the metal room, his safety is assured.
    But I can wait, it is only a matter of time. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Boy or girl, they can be neutered as early as twelve weeks if they are healthy. I definitely would not let your new kitten outside until after it's been neutered. They are sexually mature at five to six months - sometimes as early as four months!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would agree wait a few weeks or even until neutered.
    With all the cats we've ever had we always let them out when really hungry, going out with them walking around the garden, then back in and feed them, if they don't follow you in right away just leave the door open and they'll usually come in for the food. Do that twice a day for a few days, extending time gradually. I wouldn't leave them out for more than a few mins for couple of weeks if they're still young, as stray toms in the area could go after them(especially if they're small). There's also the danger of dogs and cars or whatever in the area, so really the bigger and stronger they are the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sammi503

What we've done (and it has worked well for several of our cats) is to keep them inside for the first month or so. When you feed them call them by name (they begin to associate their name with food). When you decide to let them out (ours weren't neutered yet but were when they reached 6mo) don't feed them the night before. Let them out for an hour or 2 on an empty stomach and then call them in and feed them. They'll learn very quickly that when their name is called they'll get fed! We've done this with 3 of our cats and it's worked wonders! They have fantastic recall and come running every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thanks. When do cats usually have kittens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks. When do cats usually have kittens?

Mating season is now, gestation is roughly 63 days so kittens are born end of April/early May which means they are 8 weeks old (earliest they can safely leave their mother) in June/July. Having said that they also have kittens in winter so there may well be some around at the moment. Best bet is to call your local sanctuaries and ask. I hear Cat's Aid are good, there's also the ISPCA and your local regional SCPAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

We kept our cats in until they were neutered. They only go out during the day if I am working from home, and we call them in at night.

They never seem to go far... and they come when called.

I was going to try and keep them as indoor cats, but they get so much pleasure from eating grass (and puking it up) and generally playing with neighbor's cats and sniffing around the bushes.

I'm glad we kept them *in* for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

We've just let our two out yesterday for the first time on their own - our female was too small to get spayed (they have to be over 2 kilos) so she's is about 6 months and he's 7 months. They are loving it - but keep running back into me for a cuddle every 20 mins or so. They slept all evening yesterday as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Ever2010 wrote: »
    We've just let our two out yesterday for the first time on their own - our female was too small to get spayed (they have to be over 2 kilos) so she's is about 6 months and he's 7 months. They are loving it - but keep running back into me for a cuddle every 20 mins or so. They slept all evening yesterday as well.

Your female is going to get pregnant if you don't keep her in during mating season.
    And they do not have to be over 2kg to get spayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Sorry should have added that we got the female spayed 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't let her out without it.

Magenta - two vets, and two vet nurses all told me that she was too small when she was under 2 kilos and had to be heavier. It's not done by age, which is what I had thought. Even to look at the two of ours - he's about a month older we think and 3lb heavier!

• Advertisement

Finally we are getting a kitten! After saying we would get one at the beginning of the holidays, we're getting one at the end :rolleyes: I think she's around 13/14 weeks old, we got the call from my aunt sasying her friend had a kitten but she can't keep it so we're taking her! :D
    I'm feeling quite worried now though! She wanted to drop her off tomorrow but we're not here tomorrow so later this week it is! I have a few questions:
    • I know people have said to keep her indoors for 3-4 weeks, but how is this possible? We would rather her not use a litter box but if we have to that's fine. Otherwise how can she go to the toilet?
    • After the 3-4 weeks when we can let her out, how do we make sure she comes back, stays in the garden etc? I'm quite worried, we have a golden retriever (4) and she was ok with our last cat but I'm really worried! Also, there's an estate behind us with quite a few dogs, one which comes over all the time. I mean, if we bring her outside, she'll probably want to explore but I'd be worried about her not coming back or something bad happening.
    • My dog is in the process of being treated for fleas (another dog we think passed them on). Gave him a bath today which hopefully killed most of them and are giving him the spot on stuff later tonight. Will this affect her healthwise?
    • How do we train her? We had our cat since I was around 4 so I don't really know what we did, all I know is that she was tiny and was dying but she got better, so I suppose she stayed.
    • Does catching mice and rats come instinctly?
    • We will be away from 8.30-4.30 Monday-Friday, what do we do with her? Would we jsut leave her in a room with a few toys? There will be someone at home until the end of September.
    • We don't know if she's flea'd, wormed, vaccinated etc (this was done through my aunt). When we take her to be vaccinated, should we get her neutered on the same day or is that possible?
    • Any other tips for a really nervous person? I'm so worried that she'll just disappear or something bad will happen her!
    Thanks so much, if you have any help please post!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I know people have said to keep her indoors for 3-4 weeks, but how is this possible? We would rather her not use a litter box but if we have to that's fine. Otherwise how can she go to the toilet?

You keep her inside by just not letting her go out through the door! It's really not hard. You need to set her up with a spot indoors where she can have her bed, her food and her water - make sure she knows where the litter tray is. Cats are good with litter trays, but if she doesn't know her way to or from it, she may have an accident or two indoors.
    After the 3-4 weeks when we can let her out, how do we make sure she comes back, stays in the garden etc?

Honestly?

You can't. If you let the cat roam by allowing it round the clock access to the outdoors, you just can't make sure she comes back or stays in your garden. You take your chances, like a lot of cat owners.

Other options include keeping her indoors-only - a more and more common option especially among apartment dwellers; building an outdoor enclosure for her, a bit like a giant aviary; or cat-proofing your garden fences so she can't get out of the garden.

If all three of those sound impossible, you can ensure you keep her indoors ALWAYS until the sun is well up in the morning, and bring her back into the house in the early evening and don't let her out overnight. She'll need an indoor litter tray, but as cats are most active at dawn and dusk, if she's not outdoors during those times, she may stay closer to home.
    I'm quite worried, we have a golden retriever (4) and she was ok with our last cat but I'm really worried! Also, there's an estate behind us with quite a few dogs, one which comes over all the time.

You should be worried. You need to work on carefully introducing the retriever and the new kitten, because the dog could quite conceivably kill the cat. Just because a dog ignores one cat, they are territorial, and can react badly to another cat. There are threads on this forum already about introducing a dog and a cat.

You can't legislate for the dog that comes over - it could also kill your cat, and there's not much you can do about it unless you supervise every meeting until you're sure the dog is cat-friendly. If you secure your garden so the dog can't get in and the cat can't get out, your kitten will be safer.
    I mean, if we bring her outside, she'll probably want to explore but I'd be worried about her not coming back or something bad happening.

Well honestly, you should be worried. She might be fine. And she might not. You have no control over it either way unless you restrict her roaming. If you don't restrict her roaming, I can guarantee you 100%, as I can guarantee every single cat owner who has a roaming cat, you will one night be sitting up at midnight wondering why your cat didn't come home.

It all depends on how you feel about that. Only you can make the decision not to have a roaming cat, or to have one and accept the consequences.
    My dog is in the process of being treated for fleas (another dog we think passed them on). Gave him a bath today which hopefully killed most of them and are giving him the spot on stuff later tonight. Will this affect her healthwise?

Dog spot-ons can kill cats if administered to them, so don't ever, ever give a parasite or worm medication meant for a dog to a cat. However since the cat won't be sitting on the dog giving it a wash on the first night, they should be fine. Try to make sure you get all the fleas and wash all the dog's bedding. You can treat the kitten pre-emptively with a spot-on medication meant for cats.
    How do we train her? We had our cat since I was around 4 so I don't really know what we did, all I know is that she was tiny and was dying but she got better, so I suppose she stayed.

'Train' her to do what? Cats use litter trays quite instinctively. Apart from that, try not to roughhouse her with your hands when playing, because she'll roughhouse your hands right back, and she has claws and you don't. Be consistent and loving with her - reward good behaviour with praise, stroking, a kind tone of voice, the occasional treat; respond to bad behaviour with a stern voice and/or a sharp noise when caught in the act. There's not much more training on a cat to be honest.
    Does catching mice and rats come instinctly?

Yes, for the most part. You hone those instincts by playing with your cat with a piece of shoe lace or a feather or other cat toys.
    We will be away from 8.30-4.30 Monday-Friday, what do we do with her? Would we jsut leave her in a room with a few toys? There will be someone at home until the end of September.

She'll sleep, mostly, while you're out. She may play for a while. Leave a radio on for her - a cat who lives silently during the day can be a bit skittish when the loud noises start when humans come home. The drone of the radio can help to offset that. Just make sure you don't leave her and the dog unsupervised, alone in the house, at all until you're absolutely certain, after a few months of settling in, that they won't kill each other.
    We don't know if she's flea'd, wormed, vaccinated etc (this was done through my aunt). When we take her to be vaccinated, should we get her neutered on the same day or is that possible?

You need to find out by asking either your aunt, or the owners. If it's a kitten from someone's house, I'd say it's a likely not been fleaed or wormed, but check. With kittens they usually get three rounds of vaccinations, four weeks apart. Most vets won't neuter until six months of age in Ireland, but please search for a vet that will neuter early, especially if you're going to allow the cat to roam - she can have her first heat as early as 18 weeks if she's well fed and healthy, meaning her first litter arrives just after SHE is six months of age. If you neuter early, you eradicate the risk of a first early litter.
    Any other tips for a really nervous person? I'm so worried that she'll just disappear or something bad will happen her!Thanks so much, if you have any help please post!

Set yourself up with a cat space for the kitten before you bring her home - a litter tray, food (wet food and dry kibble), a bowl with clean water at all times (never give a kitten cow's milk, it can give the kitten diarrhoea). You can either buy some toys or make some - shoelaces, tie a length of old stocking into a bunch of knots to make a mouse-like lump the cat can bat around and carry about, so on.

Consult your vet regarding the right products to worm and deflea the kitten. Monitor her introduction to your dog very, very carefully.

After all that, just enjoy the kitten. The first few days can be a bit manic, but once the household relaxes they're great fun.

Wow, thanks a million for that! I know some of my questions are stupid and the answers are straight forward, I guess I'm jsut sorta nervous!
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

no question is ever stupid when it comes to kittens
    Good luck with the new kitten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

To be honest, OP, we got ours when she was 10 weeks, and we simply kept her indoors til she was 6 months and neutered. We were out all day, but we gave her plenty of toys, and after a few weeks, left the kitchen door open, so she had the run of the upstairs of the house aswell. We came back to find toys scattered around the house in the evenings, but there was never any damage done!! When we started to let her out, it was only with us for a couple of hours at a time in the garden....it took her a few weeks to figure out that she could get up and over the fence, so I'd say she was about 8 months old before she figured out there was a world outside the garden. She followed us everywhere though, especially when we were in the garden. She used to go out in the morning, and come in with us in the evening when we came home from work, and then she was in for the night.We found she was always a lot more eager to go out in summer than winter!!

As for the catching mice and rats...I'm not sure why you would want her to do that!! Apparently cats do that when they're happy and well-fed, so unless you want presents on the back door step, I wouldn't be recommending encouraging it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No such thing as stupid questions.

One other thing - regarding introducing her to the retriever, do NOT hold the kitten out for the retriever to sniff!!! She'll be terrified and flay the skin off your hands and the dog may become over excited because you're handing him a toy.

Best thing for first introductions is put the kitten up somewhere high, like on a table, and let the dog approach on a lead that you're holding tightly. The kitten may smack the dog - that's okay. Praise them both and keep them calm. Search this forum too - there was a fella who took in a rescue dog when he already had a cat, and there was a lot of information on that thread about introductions.

Advertisement