Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the fate of the Mark 3's?

Options

Comments

Jonathan wrote: »
    Taken in Tralee with the trains on platform 1 and 2?

Well spotted! :) My parents live in Kerry so I regularly venture down that way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Karsini wrote: »
    Well spotted! :) My parents live in Kerry so I regularly venture down that way.
    I've relations down that way too. The forklift was a dead give away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I've relations down that way too. The forklift was a dead give away. :)

its bad enough leting trainspotters in here....but FORKLIFTS......:D anorak...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It is rumoured that Chiltern Railways may be interested in them - they are planning a 100mph service between London Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street using Class 67 hauled Mark 3 coaching stock, apparently with powered doors and a Mark 3 Driving Trailer.

From what I've heard IE still wish to retain some sets for a possible hourly Belfast service.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Tbh i don't think they've even looked for buyers for them.

They were advertised for sale on the etenders website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

KC61 wrote: »
    It is rumoured that Chiltern Railways may be interested in them - they are planning a 100mph service between London Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street using Class 67 hauled Mark 3 coaching stock, apparently with powered doors and a Mark 3 Driving Trailer.

From what I've heard IE still wish to retain some sets for a possible hourly Belfast service.

They were advertised for sale on the etenders website.

they'd look good with a 67. Nice to see these finding a regular use too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

There's a great pic of a Mark 3 being transported by truck on the M50...

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/p59765920.html

oddiot wrote: »

how completely random :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

DWCommuter wrote: »

So we are ridding ourselves of non life expired rolling stock in favour of newer stuff that I can guarantee will not last the distance the MK3s did. But you know IRISH "Decades of under investment" RAIL were born as beggars and it now looks like they are on horseback and riding to blazes!

not to mention they drink more fuel than the trains they are replacing just as we hit peak oil. long term they will be a terriblly bad investment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

not to mention they drink more fuel than the trains they are replacing just as we hit peak oil. long term they will be a terriblly bad investment

"Peak Oil" was made up by the oil companies as a scam to inject more capital into upgrading aging refineries and terminals. There is no shortage of oil at all with massive new wells being discovered by the week.

Create a false shortage, jack up the price, cream off the extra profits and then lower the price again.

It's called capitalism. I know because I was part of the Peak Oil scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

I can haz laptop on train.

Say what you like.

I can haz laptop on train.

Do what you like with the old stuff. i'm happy.

Does your laptop haz a spell checker?

• Advertisement

Ach, i was having a mess. :)
    Actually, speaking of mk 3s, one downside of restaurant cars (with full bars) was the inevitable pack of drunks grouped close to it blocking the way down the carriage, especially on a friday afternoon.

Ach, i was having a mess. :)
    Actually, speaking of mk 3s, one downside of restaurant cars (with full bars) was the inevitable pack of drunks grouped close to it blocking the way down the carriage, especially on a friday afternoon.

just bring yer own ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Peak Oil" was made up by the oil companies as a scam to inject more capital into upgrading aging refineries and terminals. There is no shortage of oil at all with massive new wells being discovered by the week.

Create a false shortage, jack up the price, cream off the extra profits and then lower the price again.

It's called capitalism. I know because I was part of the Peak Oil scam.

Have you any evidence for your nonsensical statement? In what way were you resonsible for the 'Peak Oil Scam'? :confused:

Have you any evidence for your nonsensical statement? In what way were you resonsible for the 'Peak Oil Scam'? :confused:

Dragon and Tullow both announced massive finds recently.
    West coast of Ireland has much much larger deposits than previously thought.
    They reckon even the Kish Bank may have massive reserves

and thats only Irish interests

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

oddiot wrote: »

Yeah thats one of the Mk3As, otherwise known as the international set that BREL used it get export sale of Mk3s, the set even made it's way to Germany before IE bought them.

2 of the Mk3As were sold to an Irish Hotel. That's one of them on the move in that pic.

Yeah thats one of the Mk3As, otherwise known as the international set that BREL used it get export sale of Mk3s, the set even made it's way to Germany before IE bought them.

2 of the Mk3As were sold to an Irish Hotel. That's one of them on the move in that pic.

I bet the hotel paid a fortune for them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

For what purpose? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stick them behind the 'A' class in Castlerea!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

They are being used as some sort of shed/storage unit and as a shelter/storage for an adjacent golf course; in the past several old rail and tram carriages ended their days in similar use for sports pavilions and outhouses.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    They are being used as some sort of shed/storage unit and as a shelter/storage for an adjacent golf course; in the past several old rail and tram carriages ended their days in similar use for sports pavilions and outhouses.

That's a laugh, as for years CIE refused to sell rail vehicles to non-preservation interests as they claimed that having them lying about at Courtown Harbour and the like was bad for the railway's image. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The lack of push pull on the Mk3s could have been solved during the refit process. Fit PP to some of the stored 201s and buy a few Mk4 DVTs from CAF or upgrade the generators on the Mk3PP DVTs and rate them for 100mph and you would have some mighty sets for either Enterprise or peak express services, but instead IE are down two 6 car 22s due shipping damage and 1 due to the split point incident and have no Plan B.

I don't say this stuff to knock the 22K product, just the thinking that you can replace long locohaul sets with a 3 car DMU without driving the customer away, as I have no doubt has happened in Waterford recently.

IE could have done the work inhouse at Inchicore (although it would involve reacquiring some lost skills and maybe some cap. expenditure) employing workers here in Ireland - it couldn't have taken much longer than Siemens took with the DART mid-life update!

Meanwhile, here in Canada VIA Rail is having their Mk3 equivalents (the LRC cars) rebuilt after 25 years for another 20 by Canadian workers (IRSI in Moncton).

A friend of mine works in IE as did his father. His father claims that the jigs which were used to build the Mk3s in Inchicore in the 80s were buried and poured over with concrete. How stupid is that?

About the DVTs, the reason they were restricted to 70mph was because they were fitted with the same bogies as the 8100 DART units. But when they were refitted with standard BT22 bogies the limit wasn't removed. Was there some other reason too? (weight maybe?)

Also, the stored 201s can physically work a push-pull, there was one incident (Limerick I think) where 201 was coupled up to a push-pull set and was actually going down the line no bother when CTC found out and ordered the driver to run around at the next stop! I think it's the couplings that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

karsini

Interesting.

I wonder if the requirement to dispose of the jigs had anything to do with Mk3s being a design presumably built on license from BREL?

We should all chip in and buy one and painted it white & blue and make it boards headquarters :p

dowlingm wrote: »
    karsini

Interesting.

I wonder if the requirement to dispose of the jigs had anything to do with Mk3s being a design presumably built on license from BREL?

This did come to mind, maybe their licence only permitted them to build a certain number of vehicles.

We should all chip in and buy one and painted it white & blue and make it boards headquarters :p

I *really* need to get out more... :o

I *really* need to get out more... :o

LOL :o

whats it from out of interest?

It's Microsoft Train Simulator with the Irish Enterprise addon, just did a quick repaint of one of the Mk3 coaches. Put the train in the bay platform in Drogheda and took a screen grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Also, the stored 201s can physically work a push-pull, there was one incident (Limerick I think) where 201 was coupled up to a push-pull set and was actually going down the line no bother when CTC found out and ordered the driver to run around at the next stop! I think it's the couplings that are the problem.

The 201s from 201-205 and 210-214 don't have retractable buffers to work push pull, they can be fitted with the buckeye couplers but the buffers will prevent the proper coupling for pushpull to take place. Also I don't think these locos have the time division multiplexers for the interaction with the DVT controls. I could be way off though but that's what I heard.

• Advertisement

The push-pull system is identical to that used for multiple working (AAR but slightly modified by IE for door control) so it would have it. You're correct about the non-retractable buffers but I've heard from at least two sources about the 201 incident so I don't doubt that it happened.

Advertisement