Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the fate of the Mark 3's?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Karsini wrote: »
    It's Microsoft Train Simulator with the Irish Enterprise addon, just did a quick repaint of one of the Mk3 coaches. Put the train in the bay platform in Drogheda and took a screen grab.

You're definitely a candidate for Seaslacker's 'Trainspotters Forum'. :D

That's for sure, even heading off on the ITG tour on Saturday. I'm a nutball alright. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's Microsoft Train Simulator with the Irish Enterprise addon, just did a quick repaint of one of the Mk3 coaches. Put the train in the bay platform in Drogheda and took a screen grab.

Lol. Good to know i'm the only nut job with MTS,the wife thinks i'm nuts!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I *really* need to get out more... :o

Is Victor passed out to drive it?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I heard rumors that they are all going to be cut up because they cannot get buyers for them and there is no space to keep them in secure storage. :mad:

If they can't get a buyer then why not give them away for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If they can't get a buyer then why not give them away for free?

cos they'll get money for the scrap & components can be used elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

cos they'll get money for the scrap & components can be used elsewhere

The could also be modified and used as an alternative to halting site accommodation. We have heard of the Government spending ridiculous sums of tax payers money in the past on housing these people. :p

The could also be modified and used as an alternative to halting site accommodation. We have heard of the Government spending ridiculous sums of tax payers money in the past on housing these people. :p

stick some tyres on the wheels and a horse at the front and you have a whole new generation of travellers on the move :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they already have tyres on the wheels as Im sure all the railway buffs on here will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

yea, but they are probably all flat:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is talk of keeping 2 sets of 8 and some diesel locos in case of flooding like we had late last year.

These lads can run in 18 inches more water than a railcar can and can keep a line like Athlone - Galway or Athlone - Westport or even Mullingar - Sligo or Kildare - Waterford operational.

CIE want money for special sheds in Portlaose for them I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That would be a worth while investment, the facility would pay for itself by maintaining just those few Mk3s for another 10 years at least.

They could stick a set in the Connolly valeting plant too if they wanted to. Thats where the last Cravens and Mk2 sets spent their days when they were used as backups for the Sligo line.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

In the UK Delta Rail (the people who have refurbished Class 158 DMU's) are currently working up plans for Chiltern Railways MK3's. The plans do indeed include chemical retention toilets and power doors. Seems the demo coach should be out in 2011.

There is also talk now from Department of Transport- Rail, of keeping the HST/Intercity 125 sets going until 2035.

Added to the spare DVT's I mentioned previously there's also about 20 spare buffet cars in storage, so some more spare bogies if Irish Rail do sell any to UK operators

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is talk of keeping 2 sets of 8 and some diesel locos in case of flooding like we had late last year.

These lads can run in 18 inches more water than a railcar can and can keep a line like Athlone - Galway or Athlone - Westport or even Mullingar - Sligo or Kildare - Waterford operational.

Sounds highly unlikely to me given the haste that scrapping began with in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I would have thought somewhere like Athlone West would be a good place to store stuff, since presumably it's still in IE hands and nearer the bits that tend to flood? Or is this a way of justifying the expansion of TrainCare (but then quietly scrapping the 3s once the remaining 22Ks come along?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Interesting if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

That first shot is I believe one of the refurbs done by Axiom for WSMR (Wrexham, Shrewsbury, Marylebone Railway).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, don't you need to be able to see the rails to run a train on them these days?

Victor wrote: »
    Eh, don't you need to be able to see the rails to run a train on them these days?

I'm assuming the coaches could run in 18 inches more water but not the locos, you'd short out the traction motors otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I though the water in contact with the two rails creates a short circuit and sets all signals to red. Like what the emergency drop down bar dose for the DART units.

I though the water in contact with the two rails creates a short circuit and sets all signals to red. Like what the emergency drop down bar dose for the DART units.

On lines with track circuits, yes it does. Those with axle counters it won't (non CAWS areas and also newly fitted CAWS areas).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Does the fact that the Mark 3's have been replaced by multipe units mean that there are now lots of locomotives lying idle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Jonathan wrote: »
    Does the fact that the Mark 3's have been replaced by multipe units mean that there are now lots of locomotives lying idle?

Yes.

Jonathan wrote: »
    DWCommuter wrote: »
    Yes.

No, they're too busy withdrawing them and cutting them all up

CIE/IE appear to be up to their old tricks.... see this official e-tender document....could it be that the mothballed 201s and their spares are on the point of being sold?

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN140035&catID=22

CIE/IE appear to be up to their old tricks.... see this official e-tender document....could it be that the mothballed 201s and their spares are on the point of being sold?

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN140035&catID=22

nah, they appear to be 141 bits

Wiki

It mentions 645E3C which is the 071 engine. Also 710 which is the 201 engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

nah, they appear to be 141 bits

Wiki

Or 181's

30accwk.jpg

• Advertisement

It mentions 645E3C which is the 071 engine.

:o

I really should have checked my link a bit better, shouldn't I

Advertisement