Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the fate of the Mark 3's?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well theres little any of us can do when we've gone to out enternal reward! Thanks for the link. Great to see that, a local business man following his dream and putting something there for the community. Who knows it might bring some of the passing tourist trade in. Fair play to him, not something to be knocked.

You make it sound like he owns the local corner shop! Lol!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

You make it sound like he owns the local corner shop! Lol!:pac::pac::pac:

Do I? I just meant he has used his own resources to effectively create a new tourist attraction for his area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

That photo of the Mk3 trial enrages me and I only wish the Times would send Kathy Sheridan (see the WRC thread) on that charter to ask the IE worthies how much revenue was received for the charter and how much was spent assembling this set, cleaning them up and running the trial pictured.

Only in Ireland would we celebrate the ending of an era (and by railway standards not all that long, compared to what Amtrak still operates from the 1950s) by sending the carriages to random parts of the country (like some of the pushpulls) as opposed to a National Museum and the rest to an appointment with a JCB to whack them into flinders.

If Enterprise was removed from IE/NIR into a separate company run by the likes of Virgin Trains with its own capital and ability to borrow, I would expect 4-6 sets of those 3s would be running between Dublin and Belfast on an hourly basis not long after. Instead the two biggest cities on the island are linked by an orphan fleet of DeDietrichs frequently substituted by commuter railcars, because IE/NIR can only grudgingly agree on which either of them have enough money to pay for minor improvements like adding a generator van from those self-same 3s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 return ticket

Well theres little any of us can do when we've gone to out enternal reward! Thanks for the link. Great to see that, a local business man following his dream and putting something there for the community. Who knows it might bring some of the passing tourist trade in. Fair play to him, not something to be knocked.

Here here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Moyasta is run as a private fiefdom by local quarry tycoon Jackie Whelan more info here: http://daithaic.blogspot.com/2009/09/on-west-clare-railway.html

Quite what will become of this 'enterprise' when the good Jackie goes to his final reward is anyones guess.

Is this Jackie Whelan on the look out for an 071 for Moyasta at 0:56?:p

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be in the least surprised,he might as well go the full hog while he is at it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    These were phased out in recent years as our new fleet came in," he said. "The last run was in November last year. They are air-conditioned, but they don't have the modern comfort standards passengers expect.
    Like rocking from side to side. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Is this Jackie Whelan on the look out for an 071 for Moyasta at 0:56?:p

Jaysus, I think you´re right!

I also noticed that Irish spelling on the platform is correct... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,519 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Mark III passenger trains first entered service in 1972, and were used across the network until just 10 months ago.

Did they now? Erm...

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Did they now? Erm...

I noticed that but didn't comment. Mixed them up with the Mk2s obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

First Mk3 coach rolled out of Derby in 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 24,492 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

First Mk3 coach rolled out of Derby in 1972

first BR Mk3 was 1975
    first IE Mk3 was 1984

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

So explain this, first was certainly 1972 and nearly all are still in service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_252

The oldest Irish Rail Mk3 dates from 1979

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Is there a reason why Irish Rail never bought the HST power cars along with their mark 3s?

So explain this, first was certainly 1972 and nearly all are still in service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_252

The oldest Irish Rail Mk3 dates from 1979
    WIKIPEDIA wrote:
    British Rail's third fundamental design of carriage was designated 'Mark 3' (also described as Mark III), and was developed primarily for the InterCity 125 High Speed Train (HST). The vehicle was also developed as a conventional locomotive-hauled coach for the West Coast Main Line (WCML) northern electrification scheme - this was the first Mark 3 derivative to enter revenue service, in 1975, with the definitive HST version appearing a year later
    Explained

anyway its irrelivant as the Irish mk3 were no-where near this date and it's just more poor journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bad mongo

Interesting topic - I presiume this will be of relevance to posters (apologies if already mentioned in thread)

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG165575

IE has available for re-use, 82 hauled passenger coaches; the vehicles are fully air-conditioned and were built between 1984 and 1986. The fleet comprises of passenger cars, catering cars and generating vans for the provision of on-board powe

bad mongo wrote: »
    Interesting topic - I presiume this will be of relevance to posters (apologies if already mentioned in thread)

IE has available for re-use, 82 hauled passenger coaches; the vehicles are fully air-conditioned and were built between 1984 and 1986. The fleet comprises of passenger cars, catering cars and generating vans for the provision of on-board powe

I posted a response to this on another forum. Basically IE say they are in too poor a state to run on Irish line and thats why they can't be used. But seem perfectly happy in that tender to not mention that fact at all, giving the impression to buyers that they are ready to run as it were.

I can't see anyone wanting these, wrong gauge for nearly everywhere, run down, in need of heavy enough work to bring back to standard if reports on here are to be believed and only to be sold as one lot, not broken up if people want fewer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

bad mongo wrote: »

IE has available for re-use, 82 hauled passenger coaches; the vehicles are fully air-conditioned and were built between 1984 and 1986. The fleet comprises of passenger cars, catering cars and generating vans for the provision of on-board power
    I thought they were keeping the generator vans for the Enterprise?

Jonathan wrote: »
    I thought they were keeping the generator vans for the Enterprise?

4 (iirc) kept for use the rest to be disposed of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,519 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Is there a reason why Irish Rail never bought the HST power cars along with their mark 3s?

Finances and a network nowhere near suitable of the speeds the HST could offer I'd suspect. They also had a lot of relatively new diesel locos at the time already.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

how much would it be to buy a single mk3 open coach without bogies?

Rud wrote: »
    how much would it be to buy a single mk3 open coach without bogies?

a few have been sold singularly, some hotel has bought some over the years. Now idea how much though. these are a job lot of 82 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

In today's Irish Times
    IARNRÓD ÉIREANN may have to reintroduce a fleet of withdrawn inter-city carriages that are more than 20 years old as part of its long-stated goal of providing an hourly service on the Dublin to Belfast “Enterprise” service.

Full story here

In today's Irish Times

Full story here

Unreal! The fact is that journey times on the Belfast route on now worse than they were 20 years ago and reliability has gone to hell. With a fleet of barely used MkIII carriages lying about in sidings there's no earthly way that CIE/IE should be allowed to waste more public money buying junk from the Far East - make do and mend should be the order of the day. :mad:

In today's Irish Times

Full story here

good news, maybe. hopefully it'll actually happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

The extra servies they introduce to make hourly should be Connolly non stop to Belfast and the current ones stay the same!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I don't see the need for an hourly service myself. Since the Malahide Viaduct collapse and with continued security alerts on the line the demand for the Enterprise has dropped dramatically. I've used it a few times this year and it's been poorly patronised. Journey time is too slow and it's quite expensive in comparison with the bus.

Of all the services in the country that could do with the spare MKIII's it's not the Enterprise imo. Stick them on the Galway roster where bus substitutions are becoming commonplace due to overcrowding on the Westport services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Unreal! The fact is that journey times on the Belfast route on now worse than they were 20 years ago and reliability has gone to hell. With a fleet of barely used MkIII carriages lying about in sidings there's no earthly way that CIE/IE should be allowed to waste more public money buying junk from the Far East - make do and mend should be the order of the day. :mad:

Until a serious accident related to wear and tear happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Until a serious accident related to wear and tear happens.
    serious accidents have already happened a few times due to wear and tear. several machinery derailments per year as well as practically destroying a new 6car 22000, as well as the malahide incident cahir viaduct etc

irish rail knows all about wear and tear but why would they pay it any special attention now?

Advertisement